LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question will only apply to those who live in a state where front license plates are required by law. i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems driving without the front plate. i know most local cops could care less. but state troopers are usually the ones to who like to get me. obviously, the GTO doesn't have a place to put a front plate and im not gonna drill holes to put in some sort of mount like on the camaros and such.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Front Plate

gtodriver7 said:
this question will only apply to those who live in a state where front license plates are required by law. i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems driving without the front plate. i know most local cops could care less. but state troopers are usually the ones to who like to get me. obviously, the GTO doesn't have a place to put a front plate and im not gonna drill holes to put in some sort of mount like on the camaros and such.
There is a member on here that cut his plate and pop riveted it on the center of the grill.

I've decided to cut mine if necessary and use tie-straps to attach to the grill.

slick50

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
I live in Virginia and if you saw the gathering pics, I didn't and still don't have a front plate. If I get a ticket I will contemplate putting it on but I will NOT drill holes just because of a plate. IMHO dual plates are a waste of money and resources.
Lucky for me, I live and work near the border of North Carolina which does not require a front plate. However, if they notice the city stickers and inspection sticker, it would be a dead give away.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats an interesting idea. could you post pics when you are done?
i think i would rather take the chance and pay for the tickets rather than screw up the clean look of the front end.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I read on one of these posts that you will not get pulled over for not having a plate but if you get pulled over for some other reason they'll tack that infraction on.

I have a front plate. My car is black so I bought a black frame, painted the screws black and bought a smoked plastic cover to put over the plate. You can hardly notice it. ;)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I have no front plate, and will take my lumps if I get caught. I plan to stay out of Cleveland Heights (home of the equipment violation). I think state troopers would be most likely to notice, as this is their preferred laser target.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
mistermike said:
I have no front plate, and will take my lumps if I get caught. I plan to stay out of Cleveland Heights (home of the equipment violation). I think state troopers would be most likely to notice, as this is their preferred laser target.

If I have to put on a front plate it will be backwards and upside down :p

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey mlc,
i would love to see pics of what you did to get an idea. since i am planning on picking up a black GTO as well.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

I got the plate frame at Pep-Boys. It came with the smoked cover. I was thinking of getting some tinting material and make it darker. Even so I like the look.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Was quite a while ago but I was stopped and ticketed by a state trooper specifically because front plate was missing. He was going other way on a divided highway, saw no plate, did u-turn and stopped me. Unfortunately my GTO was alreaded plated ("state law per dealer) when I picked up so too late else I might have tried the tie wraps in the grill thing.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey mlc,
that looks REALLY good. way better then i would have imagined. i will defintely consider doing on mine.(if necessary)

the reason i posted this thread is because i was driving my GP with no front plate (just had the plastic insert) for a couple years and no cops said anything. then as soon illinois became broke. i got one warning (which was tracked in the system) by state trooper. so the next time i got pulled over (by a state trooper) i got the ticket. my GP is pretty pimped out (rims, stickers, grills, etc) and it looked way cooler w/o the front plate. so when cops pulled me over and asked why i dont have a front plate they weren't buying that it makes the car look way better. so i gave into the man have been driving with one ever since. i just really dont wanna drill holes into the front. ouch...

·
Resident Sheriff
4,691 Posts
I've gotten pulled over for no front plate on my GP, but i got a written warning for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
gtodriver7 said:
I started a thread on February 29th on this topic. Here is my original post:

Here's one way to install a front license plate

------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally decided to install my front license plate since it is required in New York State and I felt that I didn't need another reason for a cop to pull me over. I'm already pushing things with my tinted windows.

I cut about 1" off the plate and used a license plate frame. Cut off the top portion of the frame since the top of the plate isn't visible where the plate is installed. Used pop rivets to attach the plate to the frame.

Bobp16

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey, i like that alot. its tucked away yet still visible. it maintains the clean look of the front. nice

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow Looka That Shine!

mlc said:

I got the plate frame at Pep-Boys. It came with the smoked cover. I was thinking of getting some tinting material and make it darker. Even so I like the look.
Mic, you've got some SHINE on that Goat! If it weren't for the sun's glare, I could make out the model of that Suburban / Yukon / Blazer in your front bumper. My cap's off to you!
:eek: :) :p :D :D :D :D

·
I'd rather be scuba diving.
1,842 Posts
I just lowered mine and used zip ties. It looks great and no drilling. For more info or pictures [email protected]. I took more pictures today, but still are too big to post. Cant figure out how to shrink them.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow. this thread is old. haha. this may have been one of my first posts.

·
Daddy's Race Car
239 Posts
I've actually been pulled over for speeding and the officer never noticed I didn't have a front plate. So, don't assume getting pulled over means the officer will notice. I was even caught coming head on.

I haven't had a front plate for 3 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts