LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did send a few Mustangs home with their tails between their legs. :gr_jest:

So I went back to Alabama to try out the new rims and drag radials. I was cutting 1.7's, 12.3's, and 111's all night long. Though weather and other things may have factored in, I really didn't gain anything.

What I did gain was consistency. This is not a great track and I always have problems with traction and going sideways. I did have a little wheelspin, but the drag radials hooked up pretty quick and kept me straight and consistent.

I wish I had installed the line-lock already. Getting those Nittos nice and toasty warm took some effort.

And I experimented with my launches: just rolling into it and launching at 2500rpm (brake-stall). When I hooked up well, the 2500rpm launches were fun and netted me the 1.7's.

A few Mustangs were there. The best against me did a 12.9 @ 110. He gave up after his 12-second run, which is what I'm sure he was after. Another was on nitrous running 13's. And the Mach I. Well, he didn't have a good night, 14's and all. :rolleyes:

Fun night. Next up, Wichita. :cool:

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and best comment of the night: "my friend says that thing has a 3.8!" :gr_jest: I politely referred him to the two numbers on the trunk. At least none of my timeslips said "Mustang". :rolleyes:

Padre

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I enjoy reading your updates. Videos are a nice bonus too when posted. So what mods will it take to get into the 11's?

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TprGTO said:
I enjoy reading your updates. Videos are a nice bonus too when posted. So what mods will it take to get into the 11's?
No vids tonight, but I wish I had hand-held the camera on one - I was watching the Mustang fade into my driver's side mirror. Would have been classic. Oh well.

But 11's will take these things: a little more weight reduction; a mix of high-octane unleaded (I could hear pinging tonight); a fine-tune of the tune (meaning back to the dyno); and good weather and low altitude.

Of course, I could cheat and drop in that 125-shot of nitrous, or even the 3.91 gears would get me there. But I want all-motor daily-driver 11's.

I hope at the least that I can top my 12.25 in Wichita.

Padre

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I would say pull out all the stops and drop the gears but if you are thinking of going on the bottle probably better to keep the stock gears. Good runs as always. If I had some DR's I'd go make some more passes. Heck, I just might.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Padre - I wouldn't jump on those 3.91's just yet, they'll likely net you very little or possibly hurt your ET. 3.91 with a 3.06 first gear would basically waste first gear, and make 2nd do most of the grunt work of moving the car down the track. I've seen a few cars slow down by going with too high of a rear gear with a 4L60e .. Not to mention, if you're still spinning you're not using the setup you currently have and wasting power. Solve that before making other changes.

IMHO a bit more converter and a stickier tire yet would be your two best allies, and those alone will put you well in the 11's. You would be a good candidate for a second pair of wheels with ET Streets :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Nice 60's Padre! Do people ever do THIS on an N/A motor? Goodbye ping. You could probably run 36 degrees laughing all the way. They have a kit that keys off the MAF sensor. For the Stangs, definitely shoot the Vid in the mirror, only change the lettering to read "Warning, objects in this mirror are slower then they appear." :D

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brains - thanks for the advice re: the gears. Definitely something to think about. My wheelspin was minimal. I think the main thing is to get that line-lock installed.

And Mike - I've been looking into Methanol injection as well. Thanks for the link. I really think that ought to go on before I go nitrous.

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
So close! Padre, now that you have scrubbed in your DRs you should get better stick next time out. The first few times you use DOT drags or track tires you need to heat cycle them. Get them hot then let them cool down, repeat that process a few times. Some tire companies will offer "Heat Cycle" before they ship them out to you. By 10/22 at SDR you should be dialed in for 11.99s. I'll be there to see it first hand!

Doc

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I just thought of this too! Your other wheels/tires had a slightly smaller rolling diameter then your new set up. The older setup actually shortened you ratios ever so slightly! Kinda makes you think, hmmmm???

Doc

·
duh
1,214 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Oh, and best comment of the night: "my friend says that thing has a 3.8!" :gr_jest: I politely referred him to the two numbers on the trunk. At least none of my timeslips said "Mustang". :rolleyes:

Padre
:gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, one other good comment: the rules at this track are, shall we say, loose. So there's a dozen people standing in the middle of the staging lanes as I approach with my window down and no helmet. I do my burnout and stage. As I line up against one of the Mustangs, one of the fellows in the staging lane looks me in the eye, nods towards the Mustang, and says:

"Smoke him."

I reply, "you got it."

:gr_jest: :gr_jest:

Hmmm, if Mustangs are good for anything, I suppose they're good for smoking. :p

Padre

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Your car is consistant.Get some good air and heat those babies more and 11s are there.I just ordered the Nitto 275/40/17s for my car on stock wheels.I hope I get some good results like you.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
Tim Stockwell can get HP out of anything. He was a big target in the turbo Buick arena a long time ago for running a 10 second Regal with bolt ons that at the time others were running high 11's. His attention to detail is incredible. So take his numbers as a very best case scenario. Very impressive results.

·
3,327 Posts
Good news Padre. High on Sat in Wichita is forecasted for 66 degrees, lows in the 40's. Humidity is supposed to be 49%. The track opens up at 7:30 AM, so the temp should be no more than 50. :thumbs:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Warren said:
Good news Padre. High on Sat in Wichita is forecasted for 66 degrees, lows in the 40's. Humidity is supposed to be 49%. The track opens up at 7:30 AM, so the temp should be no more than 50. :thumbs:
I smell a new record. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts