LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Autozone to pick up a battery for my gf's car. On my way home I notice that I'm not getting alot of power. I notice this on a 2nd gear pull onto the highway my car won't reach 5k, its like a gradual rev limiter on my car. I limped it home, power is all there below 3.5 k I'm not throwing any codes. Idle sounds like there is a small cam in the car, sounds like its loping a bit. Any ideas?:confused:

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
sounds like you bent a pushrod(s) or broke a valve spring. any abnoral sounds from the engine?

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is any abnormal sound that I've noticed is maybe an exhaust leak?? Its always been a loud engine ever since I purchased it, I've always worried that it was a bit louder than my buddy's 04. They had a guy drive it straight from Ohio to Indiana when it got to me, it had almost 300 miles on it. I don't know if it was just held at a constant RPM or just beat on mercilously.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was always loud, just maybe a little louder and lopey

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
check plug wires and plugs.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wires fine, checked plug tightness=good, haven't pulled them yet.

·
2,166 Posts
i forgot to hook one up once and it was only when i got on it that i noticed it. i did notice it sounded loapier though. i would pull those plugs and check them out. make a note of which cylinder they come out of. that could tell you alot.

·
2,166 Posts
you could also unhook one wire at a time. if the idle changes plug it back in. if the idle doesnt change thats your problem cylinder.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good thoughts, I'll be pulling the plugs tomorrow AM when the engine can be warmed slightly and pull them w/o burning myself.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Had this exact thing happen on my '99 Z28. It would miss and not run right above 5500, and generally sucked at high RPM. Turned out to be a whole bunch of bent pushrods, four or five of them on intake valves (and I think 3 on exhaust valves), starving the engine at high RPM. Sounds like it would be worth your effort to spend an hour to pull your pushrods and check 'em...

·
user
1,367 Posts
you could also use a spray bottle with water on each exhaust tube coming out of the heads to figure out which cylinder is not firing . or better yet let the dealer fix it if it is under warranty .

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, I think thats whats going to happen, our dealership here locally is A+++ so I think my lunch will be spent delivering it to them.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goat has been delivered to the shop, I'll update once I hear a diagnosis, I'm in a buick Lacrosse for now

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
was there a CEL on? It could be your knock sensors failing, happened to my firends 04. His knock sensors failed and when he was in wot or trying to get up itn the rev range it would prevent him from doing so or would slowoly/gradually do so.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No CEL, I am hoping to get a diagnosis by tomorrow evening. From what all I've read in the past 24 hrs, I believe it is a bent pushrod or something along those lines. Plugs only have about 7.5k on them.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are currently working on a few minor paint issues, then it goes to the service side

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a call, all odd cylinders are misfiring. Any new ideas?

·
Still a communist state
12,540 Posts
05GoatinIndy said:
Got a call, all odd cylinders are misfiring. Any new ideas?
Ignition?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts