LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a cheapo key fob shell off of Amazon to swap over the guts of a beat up key fob for my '06. I desoldered the battery, resoldered a new one in easy enough and put the case back together. The buttons required a bit of trimming but now that it's all in one piece, the key still works but the range on it is garbage. Has anyone come across this before?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's aggravating for sure. I got a spare Holden Key fob that works awesome from across the parking lot but even before swapping cases and batteries the range sucked on this one.

·
Administrator
9,543 Posts
The receiver for the remote is in the sun-load sensor at the base of the windshield between the defroster grilles. If you happen to have anything sitting on top of it that may block the signal. If there's nothing blocking it and the range is still lousy with known-good remotes(it's not great to begin with but if you have to get right on top of it that's lousy) the receiver may be shot. Unfortunately I don't think they are readily available any more.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The receiver for the remote is in the sun-load sensor at the base of the windshield between the defroster grilles. If you happen to have anything sitting on top of it that may block the signal. If there's nothing blocking it and the range is still lousy with known-good remotes(it's not great to begin with but if you have to get right on top of it that's lousy) the receiver may be shot. Unfortunately I don't think they are readily available any more.
Yeah the sun load sensor isn't shot as I have a basically new holden key fob that works great.
As an update, I took the "broken" key fob apart again yesterday, cleaned and lightly sanded the connection point of the antenna to the physical key and tightened the screws down as tight as I could and that actually improved the range a good bit. For anyone having issues maybe try taking the metal key out and cleaning the contact point?

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
637 Posts
Yeah the sun load sensor isn't shot as I have a basically new holden key fob that works great.
As an update, I took the "broken" key fob apart again yesterday, cleaned and lightly sanded the connection point of the antenna to the physical key and tightened the screws down as tight as I could and that actually improved the range a good bit. For anyone having issues maybe try taking the metal key out and cleaning the contact point?
From what I understand that circuit is for VATS. Could just be a fluke.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
637 Posts
There's the one that goes to the nub that touches the ring around the ignition but there's also a contact that goes in between the screw and the physical metal key meant to increase the range of the fob.
I believe that's still part of VATS. The system completes a circuit with the nub and key. Could be wrong but that's what someone here posted when I was pouring through key threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts