LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to back my GTO out of the driveway and could not engage reverse. I have had no prior problems with reverse of any kind. I've had a B&M short shift kit in for about a year now and 8,000 miles. Gears 1-6 still smooth as can be and everything shifts and acts normally. With the car running or ignition on I can feel the shifter notch over past 6th like it's supposed to but it just wont pull down. With ignition off the shifter wont go over as far to the point where you are able to pull down, I think this is normal though... solenoid? I have no reason to believe this is happening becuase of the shifter. I am assuming it is either a reverse synchro or the solenoid. Tried driving around the block and still no reverse. Car went into reverse normally earlier in the day when I backed it out of garage. It's when I got back in a few hours later that I just wouldn't go so I don't think it's a bent fork.

I know the service manager at my dealership well, he diagnosed a faulty accelerator pedal assembly failure (TSB) when he knew I had a custom tune in the car because that was the only time I was going into limp mode. So at this point I'm going to call him and let him what's going on and that I have a shift kit and if he could take a "peak" at it with the shifter still installed and take it from there. If he advises me to swap back the OE shifter I will.

Funny thing is that this same exact problem happend to my 2004 Audi S4. Same symptoms but Im sure a different problem. The S4 had a TSB issued for no reverse complaints and it was a result of bearings falling out of the reverse gear selector cylinder locking bushing and into the tranny. Seems the reverse bushing has the longest stroke and was therefore the most likely gear to exibit the problem. The fix was to replace the whole tranny if the bearings fell out of the detents or update the bushing to a new part, I needed a new tranny.

If anyone else has gone through this and could chime and so I can direct my service manage to what the problem might be I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
Look in the underhood fuse box, there is a fuse labeled "AT". That fuse is for the reverse and skip-shift solenoid. See if it's blown.
It sounds like the solenoid is not working for some reason.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fox Mulder said:
Look in the underhood fuse box, there is a fuse labeled "AT". That fuse is for the reverse and skip-shift solenoid. See if it's blown.
It sounds like the solenoid is not working for some reason.
Fuse under hood labeled "AUTO TRAN 15A" is OK. I do not have an "AT" fuse so I assume this is the correct one, 4th one down.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
Yeah that's the one, says Auto Trans not AT sorry.
Could still be a simple issue with the solenoid or something more serious in the trans, guess your dealer will have to figure it out.

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
That is the solenoid you take out to add oil so if you have had oil added lately that could be a clue.If the wire came off I don't know if it would keep you out of reverse or not.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
simpleGTO said:
That is the solenoid you take out to add oil so if you have had oil added lately that could be a clue.If the wire came off I don't know if it would keep you out of reverse or not.
It's the factory fill, never added anything, 11,000 miles. Thanks for the post.

·
:mrrg:
10,466 Posts
iflooru said:
past 6th like it's supposed to but it just wont pull down.
You have to push up for reverse.. :p

O.K. that didn't help. :)

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
simpleGTO said:
No, that's the reverse light switch not the reverse lockout solenoid. There is normally no reason for the reverse solenoid to be disturbed. However if the solenoid did somehow become disconnected it would definitely cause this problem.

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
Fox Mulder said:
No, that's the reverse light switch not the reverse lockout solenoid. There is normally no reason for the reverse solenoid to be disturbed. However if the solenoid did somehow become disconnected it would definitely cause this problem.
You are right I had a senior moment. I remembered someone hooked their CAG eliminator to the reverse sel. and had no reverse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts