LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are experiencing a deep hum and weird vibrations when the A/C (or heater) fan is turned on, here's the easy-as-heck fix:

Step 1: Motor passenger side seat as far rearward as you can, your back will thank you for this later.

Step 2: Crawl in floor board and look up. Locate the black piece of many-holed plastic containg the green light that forms the "ceiling" of the passenger foot well. On the side touching the transmission tunnel, undo the two metal clips, then unfasten the other side where it attaches to the other side of the footwell.

Step 3: Unhook green light and position it to a spot where it will not fall on your head and burn a dime-sized hole on your forehead.

Step 4: Locate blower assembly. It is directly behind the black piece you took off in Step 2. Remove the three golden common screwdriver/torx screws that hold the blower to the duct work. Do not undo any other fasteners or connectors. Use a medium sized-common screwdriver for best results.

Step 5: After the last screw is undone, the blower will fall out, watch your head or you will have another dime-sized red spot adjacent to burn suffered from the green bulb.

Step 6: The fan itself is one of those many-bladed induction-style units. Check to see if the grey, sticky-sided foam insulating collar has been ingested by the unit. Mine had been eaten by the blower so badly that several pieces of foam had glued themselves to the blades. Check the ductwork with your fingers to see if some is stuck there, too. Remove all the offending pieces and re-assemble. My foam strip was so badly disfigured, I have no clue where exactly it was attached. Hopefully, the next person that fixes theirs will know where to reattach a replacement piece. I have noticed no ill-effects from its removal, but I feel confident that it is some kind of dust/dirt filter.

Step 7: Reassemble and check for noise. You may need to use some tape to hold the screws to screwdriver so you can reinstall them. Mine worked perfectly after the fix.

-Mike

·
R.I.P PMD
1,396 Posts
Hello Mike - Great write up ! My '05 makes so much racket that passengers get a funny look on their face when I turn on the a/c. My local GM dealer claims that the a/c in "within spec". I will try your fix when time permits. Thanks again -

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
That only fixes the blower fan. The compressor sounds like it is about to explode when I turn on the AC.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the compressor's fan clutch. Mine sometimes sticks and jerks causing the car to lurch. Bad design, IMHO.

-Mike

·
$30,000? ...Paint Optional?!?
3,495 Posts
CSiJason said:
That only fixes the blower fan. The compressor sounds like it is about to explode when I turn on the AC.
Yup! Same here, it goes away within about 30 seconds but it sounds like
crap.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
mine isnt is noticeable as it used to be for some reason.

thx for sharing.

·
Walkin
492 Posts
Sorry for pulling the thread up!,

mine had the foam removed from the fan today, just wanted to know if you have figured out its place,if not have you had a problem from since?

Thanks.

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
Glad you did. This wasn't a common GTO problem I was aware of, but mine sounds like, well, an industrial leaf blower on the high setting. Now I know the fix.

·
Registered
217 Posts
+1.

The first time the compressor cuts in after start up. Doesn't do it on susequent cycle on/off. Bad quality/design. GM shouldn't let this go out to the market like this. Screams CRAP. CRAP. CRAP.

Is their an adjustment on the clutch that we could do. Or does it require a new compressor.

·
Registered
644 Posts
can someone tell me if i have the "easy fix foam" problem or the compressor problem that the dealer will have to fix? mine has a noise usually when i first turn the air on, but it goes away if you change the speed of the fan. it will make this noise on the lowest setting usually... just need to know if it's worth it to me to check out the foam or not.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've noticed that when I turn on the AC. It sort of sounds like marbles rolling around under the hood for a minute and then it goes away. It's kind of embarassing in public places...

·
Registered
26 Posts
what about the obnoxious A/C noise (high-pitched grunt)when I turn the car off? Dealer says it is normal. I take the day off work when I make this noise...

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
This is some funny $hit guys. Keep up the good work; I needed the laugh today.

LR

·
I Gotta Have More Cowbell
419 Posts
Chameleon T/A said:
can someone tell me if i have the "easy fix foam" problem or the compressor problem that the dealer will have to fix? mine has a noise usually when i first turn the air on, but it goes away if you change the speed of the fan. it will make this noise on the lowest setting usually... just need to know if it's worth it to me to check out the foam or not.
Same here - grrrrrrrrr. I'm going to look for the foam next weekend.

·
Registered
119 Posts
On the high speed setting, my dash vibrates and makes a sound not unlike a C-130 Hercules taking off. Guess some foam has glued itself to the blades.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts