LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently running mobil 5w30 synthetic with my comp xer 224/230 with prc dual golds. the valvetrain is pretty loud, would upping the oil weight quiet it down or be safer?

·
bolt-ons =11.52
1,660 Posts
what is the sound like ?
is it clicking ,clacking =push rods,oiling problem
or a sewing machine

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i couldnt say, it sounds like the stock valvetrain noise, just louder, i dont think it would be pushrods, mine are hardened. so i guess id say a ticking noise/ winding noise.

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
DK2F said:
currently running mobil 5w30 synthetic with my comp xer 224/230 with prc dual golds. the valvetrain is pretty loud, would upping the oil weight quiet it down or be safer?
It's the golds.. I have them with my cam and the valve train is noisy for sure. Changing the oil is not going to make a difference. I 10W 30 most of the time and it does not do anything to quiet the noise.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is a sound clip, quality isnt that great but i think it gets the job done.

http://media.putfile.com/valvetrain

and should i be using 10w30? or am i ok with the 5w30 i just put in there?

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
DK2F said:
here is a sound clip, quality isnt that great but i think it gets the job done.

http://media.putfile.com/valvetrain

and should i be using 10w30? or am i ok with the 5w30 i just put in there?

you are fine with the 5W 30 if you are worried about viscosity breakdown going from 5W to 10W is not going to make much of a difference. Listening to the clip I can't hear anything wrong but it seems like there was a lot of background noise. Sounds loud but that is how mine is to

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so a heavier weight is not needed and the 5w will wrk just fine 2 make sure its well lubricated?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol good then haha, ive been using 5w30 all this time and then i was all worried.

·
Registered
414 Posts
sounds like my solid roller BBC :p I think you'll be ok tho...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
you think i should check how tight the rockers are by chance? you just made me think of that haha, or just let it be, i wouldnt know how to tighten them anyway lol. everythings in order and maintenance free at the moment then? haha

heres another vid, it starts at the engine bay so listen close at first and it gives a better idea of what it sounds like......

http://media.putfile.com/224230-comp-xer-cammagnaflow

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
DK2F said:
you think i should check how tight the rockers are by chance? you just made me think of that haha, or just let it be, i wouldnt know how to tighten them anyway lol. everythings in order and maintenance free at the moment then? haha

heres another vid, it starts at the engine bay so listen close at first and it gives a better idea of what it sounds like......

http://media.putfile.com/224230-comp-xer-cammagnaflow

LOL, Relax any dual spring kit is gonna make noise. Its spring on spring, so think about the noise its bound to make. Listening to yours in person, its fine, mine is actually louder, but if it was gonna break, or any loss in HP you would know. Think about your track times etc. The valves are definately opening and closing properly, or you would know. TRUST ME. I know first hand that your rockers are on tight enough. If you try to tighten them more you are bound to do worse damage as they are only rated at 22 in lbs. I've actually snapped a few before, and had to re-tap the holes. Just leave your car alone it will be fine, you keep messing with it and its gonna break!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flash99 said:
LOL, Relax any dual spring kit is gonna make noise. Its spring on spring, so think about the noise its bound to make. Listening to yours in person, its fine, mine is actually louder, but if it was gonna break, or any loss in HP you would know. Think about your track times etc. The valves are definately opening and closing properly, or you would know. TRUST ME. I know first hand that your rockers are on tight enough. If you try to tighten them more you are bound to do worse damage as they are only rated at 22 in lbs. I've actually snapped a few before, and had to re-tap the holes. Just leave your car alone it will be fine, you keep messing with it and its gonna break!
LOL, i havent touched it alex you know that, just talked about it, no changes have been made, a little info never hurts. the whole point of the thread in the first place was to ask if i needed thicker oil lol, becuz my valvetrain got even louder lol, figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
DK2F said:
LOL, i havent touched it alex you know that, just talked about it, no changes have been made, a little info never hurts. the whole point of the thread in the first place was to ask if i needed thicker oil lol, becuz my valvetrain got even louder lol, figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Listen you backyard mechanic, dont you touch that beast. Its working great, and i would love to see 12's on Sat. Did you have the oil changed yet since the cam swap?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, duhhh, i did that the day after break in like D&J said to, and now its changed again and fresh for this sat, ive had it changed twice now.

ps: i will be way into the 12's, provided my clutch holds one more time b4 i put the replacement thats been sittin in the garage for 3+ months in lol.

r u spraying this sat? or are you shootin 4 11s on the motor?

ps: my backyard seems to be working well enough to modestly beat you:fawkdance haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts