LS1GTO Forums banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Well alright, still on the hunt for the clunk. I’m 92% sure something structural is jacked. Have a feeling a frame diagnosis is in the goats future.
At this point I’ve all bolts that have anything to do with articulation or holding and type of weight. Swapped all swapable items that can be to see if the noise moves. Swapped coil overs, checked brakes and caliper brackets, motor mounts and cradle bolts, exhaust and trans bolts.
I did learn that pedders mounts on BC coils results in not having the correct washers to support their rubber mounts buut since the same setup is on the driver side I can’t say that that is the cause for the clunk.

I am going to look again for any cracks in the frame rail extensions by jacking from odd points or any other random ways to reproduce the sounds while lifted.

while jacking it up I am able to make the binding sound if I lift the car from the skid plate/cradle so suspect something in there is giving somewheres.

more to follow...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Oh dear.

Partout?
Already thought of seeing if insurance would cover something like this, well, running over a 4x4 and having what might be structural damage.
If so then might be the end of the goat era and the drivetrain will live on in a 70 cutlass or 64 imp.

really hope it’s not but I feel like I’m turning over stones only to find pebbles.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
drive it till it starts causing a real problem? right now its just noise
I’ve considered that. Also that I might have to let it progress to something I can pin point. Just don’t like the thought that I can see my wheel roll pass me or some other crazy situation.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Forgot to mention that I have the original steering rack. Think I’m gonna throw that on to see if this one wasn’t damaged from the wheels vs 4x4 fight. At one point I was able to duplicate the noise with lock to lock turns at idle but it isn’t consistent while abrupt stops are.....worth a shot ...

·
Worthless reject member
46,624 Posts
Forgot to mention that I have the original steering rack. Think I’m gonna throw that on to see if this one wasn’t damaged from the wheels vs 4x4 fight. At one point I was able to duplicate the noise with lock to lock turns at idle but it isn’t consistent while abrupt stops are.....worth a shot ...
Steering is not something i would have thought of. Might as well check the firewall and steering column as well.

Maybe your steering column bolts to the firewall are loose.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Welp, I did say early on that it’s probably something simple and easily overlooked.
I haven’t confirmed this yet but am pretty sure this is what’s happening:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Camber was set at about a -1.2, was aiming for pedder spec. Wheels are 18x9 with some unknown offset, ROH doesn’t like listing them on the wheel apparently.
So with pedder rubber mounts the wheel comes in contact with the coilover during suspension compression resulting in them kissing.
Going to confirm with the spare later today but appears to be what’s happening

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,305 Posts
Wheel offset FTL
Time for some offset strut mounts.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
So you know how there’s tight and there’s gudentite? Well the cradle was just tight.

I switched back to the stock wheels thinking the x9’s and weak rubber strut mounts were causing strut rub but .....nope. Put the front on ramps and had my son hop on the front and the wheel to strut gap remains....huh.

Did some up/down action with the jack while under there and was able to feel and ultimately see this, a very, very small smidge of movement that was causing the ruckus.

What this shows is how little play under a lot of load can cause a suspension clunk type noise. I'm raising the front of car up by the cradle, thump up, then if you look closely you can see the tiny shift/thump down when lowering the car back down.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts