LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went to my friends business in an industrial park. He wanted me to check out the new intake on his 2003 C-5 Vette. As I was leaving his girlfriend said let it rip. So I put the A4 Goat in drive and put the gas pedal to the floor. To my disbelief, the car did not peel out at all, or even break traction. I turned around, lined up again, and this time put the car in 3rd. This time, it let out a little bark and thats it. The T/C was off both times. I thought this LS1 motor was supposed to put the power to the pavement and let loose some rubber. Big dissapointment. What could be wrong with this car?

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had no sensor lights come on, and no thunk in the trunk. I am extremely dissapointed because my 2004 Grand Prix GT I traded in could easily brake traction and yet this beast can hardly do it. :mad:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
PTM & BCM

TprGTO said:
Last night I went to my friends business in an industrial park. He wanted me to check out the new intake on his 2003 C-5 Vette. As I was leaving his girlfriend said let it rip. So I put the A4 Goat in drive and put the gas pedal to the floor. To my disbelief, the car did not peel out at all, or even break traction. I turned around, lined up again, and this time put the car in 3rd. This time, it let out a little bark and thats it. The T/C was off both times. I thought this LS1 motor was supposed to put the power to the pavement and let loose some rubber. Big dissapointment. What could be wrong with this car?
This car 'learns'.
Remember the article, where the reviewers had to unplug the PCMs in between runs to get the best efforts from the car?
These are A4's right you guys? The BCM and PTM modules control the drivetrain and there is TM and Abuse prevention stuff built in, some of which is not in the M6 version.
HP Tuners makes the cure. DY and Holeshot figured out how to anesthetize it so you can have your car back from the friendly digital parts preservation gremlins in the computers. Your car has a conscience... :eek:

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Most people I know with RWD vehicles are happy when they can't break traction with a high-powered car... :sneaky:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
STi said:
Most people I know with RWD vehicles are happy when they can't break traction with a high-powered car... :sneaky:
Yep, that's actually a good thing :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stall it up with the brake then put gas pedal to the floor, TC will apply ABS so leave off, and make sure its in Power.

·
3,327 Posts
Old Goat said:
This car 'learns'.
Remember the article, where the reviewers had to unplug the PCMs in between runs to get the best efforts from the car?
These are A4's right you guys? The BCM and PTM modules control the drivetrain and there is TM and Abuse prevention stuff built in, some of which is not in the M6 version.
HP Tuners makes the cure. DY and Holeshot figured out how to anesthetize it so you can have your car back from the friendly digital parts preservation gremlins in the computers. Your car has a conscience... :eek:
Maybe Mr. Old Goat has an answer here? Try pulling the fuse to the PCM for a few minutes. Maybe that will make the car 'forget' the leisurely cruises you took last week, and 'learn' that you like to smoke the tires. Just a thought....

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Warren said:
Maybe Mr. Old Goat has an answer here? Try pulling the fuse to the PCM for a few minutes. Maybe that will make the car 'forget' the leisurely cruises you took last week, and 'learn' that you like to smoke the tires. Just a thought....

Would disconnecting the negative side on the battery for a few minutes reset it also?

·
3,327 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Would disconnecting the negative side on the battery for a few minutes reset it also?
Yep, same thing. Easier to pull the fuse though. It is just above the battery in the black box. I think it is the top red fuse.

·
21,898 Posts
Thanks Warren,

I will try that next time.

:)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Now I know why the M6 was a 'costed' option...
Dan

·
Registered
593 Posts
I guess my A-4 hasn't learned how to keep its tires stuck. As I mentioned on a previous post after reading about this issue I tried my car in Drive, TC off, on a rural road, no brake torque, slapped the pedal to the floor and spin hard for 40 feet before hooking up briefly, spun a bit on the shift to 2nd at 6000. I have yet to try the 3 start from a dead stop, but the car really yelps the tires going into 2nd on the freeway onramps on the 1-2 shift with the gear lever in 3. From previous drag racing experience I know this isn't the fast way down the track, but it can be fun at the right time. Of course, for some reason my average fuel mileage for the first 700 miles is 13.4 mpg. I may need a tire rotation when I change oil.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was discussing this issue with a mechanic at my shop. It appears those of us with early build dates can't get the tires to break loose. I can't, Nov. build, TprGTO has Sept. He can't. JRM346 Built Dec. "slapped the pedal to the floor and spin hard for 40 feet before hooking up briefly, spun a bit on the shift to 2nd at 6000." My guy says to ask the service guy If there was a new map written and to have them flash the comp with the new map.

As far as resetting the PCM, did that and it is better but no Pontiac Excitment. I did manage to squeal the tires on take off and chirp 2nd At about 3/4 throttle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After reading this post, I took my car out last night to try a few different launches. My car has a December build date and only about 300 miles on it. All were with TC off.

Launched from idle in D, little squeal, not what I would call tire spin. The car did feel a little held back (TM?) for the first second or two.
Launched from idle in 3, little squeal, not really any different that the first time. This time it did seem to pull harder right from the punch though, like the TM may have been reduced.
Last time, in 3, pre-loaded the converter to 1500 RPM, let the brakes go and jammed the throttle to the floor, little squeal and the car launched. The rear squats and the from lifts, the car pulls hard and has great traction. No clunks or strange noises. I'm very happy. The hole shot is where many races are won.

·
21,898 Posts
JRM346 said:
Of course, for some reason my average fuel mileage for the first 700 miles is 13.4 mpg.
Gee I have this problem too........having too much fun.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I'm up to 3100 miles with my M6 and I'm averaging just under 15.5 overall. Note - that's actual calculations as the DIC seems to be about .3 mpg low...
Dan

1 - 20 of 38 Posts