LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
YES, SHE IS MY FIANCE :)
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got it brand new and im wondering till what mileage i should get to before i start drivin it crazy haha??? Its an A4 by the way

I herd i can straight from the factory, but i always did the 1000 miles before.

Whats your input?

WELL thanks for the help guys i appreciate it:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Drive it at varing speeds for 1,000 to 1,500 miles don't rag on it too hard then change the oil and filter after that let her have it.

·
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, thanks

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You need to seat the rings, drive it like you stole it. Varying RPM and load and allow the engine to brake it'self at speed to aid in keeping the lands clean.

·
Banned
8,940 Posts
With Mobil 1 as factory fill, I suggest you take it easy before the first change, at 1000-3000 miles change, then install a magnetic drain plug (optionally with a spin-on magnet). Drive the 2nd batch of oil for 5000-7500 miles, and 'give it' at will. The point is, to seat the ring on synthetic, you have to wear out the oil a little bit. Synthetic is so good, it forestalls/delays a proper break in in some ways.

I did this, and on the 2nd change, lost about 1/2 quart over the 5000 miles. I am very happy with how tight my LS2 came out.

YMMV of course, and other folks will have different opinions. But bear in mind, that the synthetic you throw away with 12,000 miles on it, "additives EXCLUDED", is better than brand new dino oil.

WzT

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
break it in however you want!!!

seriously!!

I had mine at the track with 50, yes 50 miles on it. i raced a mustang GT on the highway with around 200 miles, and its been the same sorta torture ever since. i now have 14K on the clock and it hasnt used A DROP of oil. ive gotten the oil samples done on my past couple of changes and all the wear is normal on the motor. one of my friends thats a mechanic told me that most rings are seated within the first 10 miles.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Anybody who changes their oil in a daily driver every 3000 miles is an idiot. With modern fuel injection and higher operating temps with synthetic oils short change intervals are a huge waste of money and pointless.

·
BOFH
208 Posts
Just had my second oil change at 6k miles.
My first oil change was at 2k and the next day I had the heads and cam swap'd (that was back in March).

4k miles with new heads and cam and she used maybe 1/2 a quart within the first 500 miles.

I don't beat on her, but I don't pamper her either... heck Saturday was the first day in a long time that I've put her at redline in a while. It was just after the oil change and was taking the car salesman for a drive because he wanted to see how she ran with all the mods.

·
Registered
506 Posts
1MtnGoat said:
Drive it at varing speeds for 1,000 to 1,500 miles don't rag on it too hard then change the oil and filter after that let her have it.
That's what I did on my '06. Seems to be fine. But I changed the oil at 600.

I took it up to 70-75 a couple times but without lots of throttle. Pretty much kept it below 50 for that first 500, tho. Pushed it a few times when I got closer to the 500 mark, but nothing close to 5K and only a moment or two.

There's lots of schools of thought out there. Some say you gotta run it hard to seat the rings. Others say take it easy as the bearings are still tight.

With modern alloys, lubricants and engine management, its a complex issue... more complex than the old days of points and rotors.

Best advice I can give is to err on the side of manufacturer recommendations as given in your owner's manual.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
Read the post up top for newbs then search.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
machinistone said:
Anybody who changes their oil in a daily driver every 3000 miles is an idiot. With modern fuel injection and higher operating temps with synthetic oils short change intervals are a huge waste of money and pointless.

:bomb: WOW!

·
Registered
506 Posts
machinistone said:
NASA foam engineers FTW!

·
Registered
429 Posts
machinistone said:

That's a little harsh!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
hardball75006 said:
That's a little harsh!
I am just replying in the same fasion as was already stated...

BLK2005GTO said:
The 3000 mile rule is for idiots that would never change they're oil.. Did I just say that outloud!!!!
danrieke said:
NASA foam engineers FTW!
When you have hundreds of motors under you belt, SCCA, American Iron, Alcohol modified, Southwest Tour, and multiple other race teams running your motors then you can make jest of my comments based on the experiance I have....

·
408 Stroker GTO
3,406 Posts
Dont care how much "experiance" you have friend you are dead wrong.
Oil change intervals depend on many factors for the exact same motors/cars.
Geographic conditions play a big tole....I live in a mountain region and have long pulls up steep grades back and forth to work. You live in a flat area. You have very dusty conditions...I have high elevations and run a totally different air fuel ratio. You drive like an old lady....I burn out at every stop light....My car is a garage queen and doesnt get 3000 miles a year...you drive 100 miles per day....I have an average ambient temp of 77....you have an average temp of 89....
So we may both drive the exact same car with the exact same motor and have totally different oil change intervals based on our particular driving habits and outside influences. A used oil analysis will show your TBN is in great shape at 7500 miles and mine is low 3's at 5000 miles.....and we both use the exact same oil.....So to make a blanket statement that anybody who changes their oil at 3000 miles is an idiot is...well....misinformed and misleading as it can be....and unfortunate at best.
Now consider many other factors such as modifications...ie...CAI/nitrous/blowers/heads/cam etc. and the blanket statement becomes even more unfortunate. Utilize a good oil analysis outfit like Blackstone Labs ( $20 bucks) to determine your particular best oil change interval that will reflect your mods/driving habits/geography etc.

As for the equally unfortunate statement that depleted synthetic is better than fresh dino....Could not be more wrong. TBN is TBN. Dino will lubricate as well as synthetic until its TBN is depleted. Synthetic will maintain its TBN longer than dino for sure due its superior ability to suspend "debris" and cleaning/friction modifiers you pay for at higher levels in synthetics. However once it is depleted it is no good to anybody. Further I would challenge that statement owner to research add packs in todays dino oils and compare to off the shelf synthetics.....he will find not much dad gum difference at all.
As to the original question...todays machining processes do not require the old school " let the rings seat" way of thinking .....I do however recommned you flush your motor before the first 1000 miles and change your filter....this to get rid of the assembly lubes/greases used in the assembly process......drive it like you want to from day one....not going to make a difference one way or the other....

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Good post sarge^^. Used oil analysis is invaluable for seeing if you need more or less frequent changes. Funny, my Jeep XJ just turned up great numbers on a 4k oil change on dino Wal-Mart 10-W40. It is actually good oil!
Gonna do a 3k batch of "Supertech synth" and see what it does in a high abuse LS1 next.

Search button for "brake bedding". This is very important to do if ya want the brakes to give you their best.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for the info Sarge, that guy was like an ego with feet.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
05gto60 said:
break it in however you want!!!

seriously!!

I had mine at the track with 50, yes 50 miles on it. i raced a mustang GT on the highway with around 200 miles, and its been the same sorta torture ever since. i now have 14K on the clock and it hasnt used A DROP of oil. ive gotten the oil samples done on my past couple of changes and all the wear is normal on the motor. one of my friends thats a mechanic told me that most rings are seated within the first 10 miles.
Drove mine like I stole when I left the dealer lot. Been doing so ever since. Cam and mods went in at 12k. 35 K now. No loss of oil cept the few tablespoons between oil changes in the catch can. Mobil 1 since day one.

·
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awesome thanks guys, ive been stompin it a little here and there, but mostly keep it under 3500rpm's really. Im at the 300 mark right now.

I ordered a k&n 63 series air intake, should come in friday. should i install it right away or wait to install?????

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
Sooner the better and don't wait too long to change the diff oil. Watch the S.E. section here and get out to some of the Fl. get togethers. Welcome to the GTO forums, any thing you need to know is here and easy to find with a search.
Larry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts