LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opinion, the stuff blows :barf:

I'm sure it works great on "new" paint, but I did the product test on my wife's 02 Miata and it failed to impress. We'll see how it holds up in the long run, but the spider-webs are still clear as day, just a bit more shiny.

Nano wax is my next trial befor I bite the bullet and order more Zaino. The stuff is a pain in the ass since I don't have a garage to put the car in while I spend six hours for proper application. :banghead:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
goatee said:
My opinion, the stuff blows :barf:

I'm sure it works great on "new" paint, but I did the product test on my wife's 02 Miata and it failed to impress. We'll see how it holds up in the long run, but the spider-webs are still clear as day, just a bit more shiny.

Nano wax is my next trial befor I bite the bullet and order more Zaino. The stuff is a pain in the ass since I don't have a garage to put the car in while I spend six hours for proper application. :banghead:

well im not a die hard NXT fan. but i have used before and i like it.

but i do have a suggestion. how well do you take care of your paint on the Miata? how long since your last wax? the reason i ask is b/c if it has been like 1 or 2 years since the last wax, then goin directly to NXT is not the way to go. NXT is more of a finishing/protecting wax, not a cleaning/restoring wax. if you are really serious about making the miata look good. i would try this.
-wash
-clay bar
-wash again,
-cleaner wax (meguiar, or another name brand)
-restoration wax to remove spider lines (nano wax, or some other wax that is specifically for swirls)
-then lastly used the NXT(or some other glaze/finishing wax). this process should restore the paint to like new condition. also if you wax with NXT about once a month or so, you wont have to go through the whole process for quite some time.
just some advice.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I just did NXT for a second time. I did it for the first time a few days ago and wanted to do it again because I'm going to be driving in a LOT of dirt this week (unfortunately, but nothing I can do about it - work and all) and I wanted to be sure I'd be able to get it off easily.

The first time, the small amount of spider webbing I had didn't fade all that much like the pictures of the Vette from the Meguiar's photos showed. This second time, the car looks a lot better. I have two postulations - one, the first coat is obviously still there so two coats > one. My second postulation is that I let the stuff sit longer. The first time, I did the hood, then I did the fenders, then the doors, then the roof. This time, I put the stuff on the whole car first. This easily took more than 20 minutes (working in my small garage to stay in the shade so it was cramped). Then I wiped it off. I also used a "polishing cloth" that I got from Autozone as opposed to the "100% cotton terry lint-free (HA!)" cloth that I used the other day.

Anyway, it looks great and is smooth as glass. While I was cleaning the residue off I set the NXT bottle on the trunklid briefly and it started to run away - I was like, yep, smooth.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i hate to sound like a zealot :) but the nanowax on my horribily swirled black GTP got rid of almost 100% of the spider lines on the first application. it took only a little more than an hour with no clay bar. that's what brought me to try it on the GTO and the results were just as good in an hour 15 minutes. it's been 4 weeks on the GTP and it still looks good as new and even stays cleaner after rain as it does on the GTO. especially on a dark older car, for $10, easy application and most importantly the results, it's hard to beat.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
My experience with NXT is that it stays "greasy" for longer than most. Allowing plently of time to dry gave better results, and it was a lot easier to remove.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback... if I have time, I'll try another coat or two soon. As far as the care.... we used Meguiars Gold Class past wax last year and I did one coat of Zaino ealry spring preceeded by clay, so the finish has been well treated since we took ownership. Both other products worked better than one coate of NXT... so I'm compairng apples to apples on the 1 coat NXT vs 1 coat Zaino. I didn't bother with clay on the whole thing this time, just the hood and bumper, but those didn't have much difference from the rest.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
svede1212 said:
i hate to sound like a zealot :) but the nanowax on my horribily swirled black GTP got rid of almost 100% of the spider lines on the first application. it took only a little more than an hour with no clay bar. that's what brought me to try it on the GTO and the results were just as good in an hour 15 minutes. it's been 4 weeks on the GTP and it still looks good as new and even stays cleaner after rain as it does on the GTO. especially on a dark older car, for $10, easy application and most importantly the results, it's hard to beat.
I'd be willing to try this stuff sometime in the future but there's just one problem...no one in my town sells it (they sell other Eagle 1 stuff tho). The Autozone people here swear by Meguiar's and it's always treated me good in the past so that's why I went with the NXT for round 1.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I've used NXT, Gold Class, Liquid Glass, on new cars and they all work pretty well. I don't get the impression that NXT has much in the way of cleaners that might benefit older finishes. Meguiars cleaner wax does pretty well on old cars. My favorite was a product called "Car Skin" which I haven't seen in years. It was fabulous for removing oxydation before a coat of good finish wax. Another good one was Blue Coral Autofom, but since Blue Coral's been whored out, I haven't seen it.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I've used NXT on my goat, it was good. I'm using Zymol now and that stuff is working very well its good finish and water sheets off the car when washing. For the best results with any polish I use a buffer with a terry cloth bonnet that takes out any swirl marks. Microfiber is good but it still leaves some swirl marks.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
phobos512 said:
I'd be willing to try this stuff sometime in the future but there's just one problem...no one in my town sells it (they sell other Eagle 1 stuff tho). The Autozone people here swear by Meguiar's and it's always treated me good in the past so that's why I went with the NXT for round 1.
funny, autozone is where i bought my nanowax. (am i the only one that thinks of mork and mindy when they say that?:)) they should be able to get it. there was a link here somewhere to a dicussion of waxes on another car board and they dicussed the attributes of several waxes. zaino's is always highly rated but i think technology and price will be nipping at its heals. one poster swore that NXT had silicone in it and that would make sense if it felt greasy. that poster didn't like silicone and car finishes. donno about that, just know what i saw. :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Seems like most people are impressed with NXT right after using it. But I can tell you first hand it doesn't last; I have heard that from a lot of other people also.
What do you mean, it doesn't last?

·
2,432 Posts
phobos512 said:
What do you mean, it doesn't last?
The Zaino on my GTO looks just as good today as it did a month ago when I last put a coat of it on. The NXT looks great the day you do, but it loses it's shine. It's been our on TrailBlazer a couple of months now and you can't even tell.

Actually the SS got Zaino'd about 2 weeks before the TrailBlazer was NXT'd. If you look at the SS you would think I just waxed it. The TrailBlazer looks like I haven't touched it all summer.

I'll probably end up Zaino'ing the TrailBlazer in the next couple of weeks and leaving it alone for a year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts