LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've called multiple pontiac service locations and they can't tell me what O2 sensors came stock in 04 GTO's. Delphi or AC-delco. I'm tired of these shitty Bosch O2's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No answers on what came stock. Now I got Advance telling me Denso and Autozone telling me Bosch(not true).

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Bosch...FTL. Never had anything but problems with Bosch O2 sensors. Have had 'em fail right out of the box.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
That's contrary to the experience of most people I know who fix cars for a living. But, even as statistically insignificant anecdotal experience goes, I've never had a Bosch O2 fail, and I've installed quite a few of them. Hell, they invented the goddam things.

OP, exactly what kind of problem are you having with your sensors, and what is the service history of the car in that regard.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I was having problems with mine in deep snow. They have been fine since the deep snow is gone. Yes, they are Bosch.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Getting water in the air holes of any O2 sensor is going to be problematic.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The awful design of my Pacesetters don't angle the o2's right. I had little shields built to protect them. Sounds dumb, but hey it has worked.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
That's contrary to the experience of most people I know who fix cars for a living. But, even as statistically insignificant anecdotal experience goes, I've never had a Bosch O2 fail, and I've installed quite a few of them. Hell, they invented the goddam things.

OP, exactly what kind of problem are you having with your sensors, and what is the service history of the car in that regard.
Get the fuck out of my head, Mike.

If you have continuous O2 issues, maybe, just maybe, its not the fault of the sensors. but hey, not like I deal with these for a living.

Anecdote: A coworker broke the O2 on his boy's 92 S10 while yutzing around with the exhaust. Its a one wire sensor. Im so god-damned skilled with O2's that I was able to modify a 4 wire from a 99 grand prix junkyard motor to work. Because we are cheap like that.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Bosch do have issues ... but not very many. If available, we prefer the Densos, but you pay a premium for them, and most of the time, the customer say no. I know our parts sales guy will say if he gets any O2 back, it's usually a Bosch ... but again, not very many at all. Still ... everyone I know will use a Bosch because it's cheaper ... if it's no good, throw another one in.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Bosch do have issues ... but not very many. If available, we prefer the Densos, but you pay a premium for them, and most of the time, the customer say no. I know our parts sales guy will say if he gets any O2 back, it's usually a Bosch ... but again, not very many at all. Still ... everyone I know will use a Bosch because it's cheaper ... if it's no good, throw another one in.
Balls, no offense, but people are straight retarded. Im willing to bet 99% of those 'bad sensors' were nothing more than diagnosis-by-replacement. I fucking hate that shit. You pull the head out of the ass, and cars are pretty damned easy to work on.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Most of the sensors I've replaced were because the cars were at 150K or more, and I was willing to freshen up the O2 sensors because I could afford to. I'm not sure if that's a good strategy or not. I've never actually had one fail, OEM or otherwise, with the exception of a non-Bosch one wire sensor on my 98 Cadavalier. It had one of those stupid 360 degree rotating connectors on it that became squirrley. Oddly, my HHR SS uses a Bosch wideband sensor in the Lambda loop. Given the sometimes short life of UEGO sensors in the aftermarket, I'm curious as to how they hold up in that kind of service. I understand VW has been using them in certain applications for some time, so I suppose that is probably the best body of knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Nissans eat their Denso AFRs. But to get random, ive replaced more wheel bearings on muranos and maximas than i have O2s on the same vehicles.

Very simple devices, that last almost forever assuming there isnt another problem.

Id say the bulk of sensors ive replaced were for heater failure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the sensors last night with Denso (OE) They fixed all bucking and popping for now and the annoying hesitation at 65 which I thought was a slipping clutch. It is fixed for now, but we will see. The car feels so much smoother in 6th! Best $128 spent in awhile. The weird thing was I took it out for a test drive last night and within a mile I got the cursed engine light and "Hot" coolant and crazy gauges. Turned the car off and restarted it and it felt great.

·
My little money pit
726 Posts
I replaced the sensors last night with Denso (OE) They fixed all bucking and popping for now and the annoying hesitation at 65 which I thought was a slipping clutch. It is fixed for now, but we will see. The car feels so much smoother in 6th! Best $128 spent in awhile. The weird thing was I took it out for a test drive last night and within a mile I got the cursed engine light and "Hot" coolant and crazy gauges. Turned the car off and restarted it and it felt great.
Cursed gauges.......02 sensors don't cause cursed or crazy gauges....you had best pull your glove box and take a look at the wire loom running behind it.

·
[Indicating]
2,478 Posts
Cursed gauges.......02 sensors don't cause cursed or crazy gauges....you had best pull your glove box and take a look at the wire loom running behind it.
I hate to necro a thread, but this is definitely inaccurate. I had an O2 disconnect a bit and short out. All kinds of crazy issues. Put it up on a lift and saw the problem right away, but it was the last thing I ever would've thought about causing an electrical issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Balls, no offense, but people are straight retarded. Im willing to bet 99% of those 'bad sensors' were nothing more than diagnosis-by-replacement. I fucking hate that shit. You pull the head out of the ass, and cars are pretty damned easy to work on.
Diagnostics is a lost art, more's the pity considering one should start with - What was the last thing I did before fucking it up? - Pretty simple. The are some that apparently start throwing parts at an issue because they don't want to admit that they did something stupid. 🤪

1 - 17 of 17 Posts