LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow gto owners I have a 2004 gto and I’ve tried digging for someone with the same issue but to no avail so when I brake I got a weird chirping noise almost like abs doing it’s job?? The car has new pads and rotors all around and front suspension is rebuilt besides subframe bushings and right control arm and wheel bearings when I brake harder it chirps louder and faster until I stop no matter what the weather is hot or cold it always does it when I brake and I’m kind of at a loss?? Maybe just cheap pads?? I really have no idea at this point any leads would be great before I just start throwing parts at this thing

·
Worthless reject member
41,860 Posts
The ABS sounds like a pulse, and you can generally feel a pulsation in the change in brake pedal feel, in many GM cars it sounds like a buzz or gurgle.

A chirp is... well, a chirp. Might want to take video or audio so we know what you're talking about.

Check your rotor or hub runout. You could try cleaning the hub mating surface and the rotor mating surfaces and then reclock teh rotor. Check to see if the dust cover is rubbing against the rotor. Make sure the wear indicators aren't bent and making contact with the rotor. Check front wheel bearings for play. Relube the pad hardware to make sure that the pads don't get stuck when the piston retracts. Check and relube the caliper pins, and make sure the rubber dust boots are ok.

·
Registered
793 Posts
>when I brake harder it chirps louder and faster until I stop no matter what the weather
Maybe the way you wrote it, but I read this as the sound gets faster as you slow down. That doesn't sound like brakes or tires, as that whole assembly is moving slower as you come to a stop. Did I just read that wrong?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ABS sounds like a pulse, and you can generally feel a pulsation in the change in brake pedal feel, in many GM cars it sounds like a buzz or gurgle.

A chirp is... well, a chirp. Might want to take video or audio so we know what you're talking about.

Check your rotor or hub runout. You could try cleaning the hub mating surface and the rotor mating surfaces and then reclock teh rotor. Check to see if the dust cover is rubbing against the rotor. Make sure the wear indicators aren't bent and making contact with the rotor. Check front wheel bearings for play. Relube the pad hardware to make sure that the pads don't get stuck when the piston retracts. Check and relube the caliper pins, and make sure the rubber dust boots are ok.
Maybe the way you wrote it, but I read this as the sound gets faster as you slow down. That doesn't sound like brakes or tires, as that whole assembly is moving slower as you come to a stop. Did I just read that wrong?
what I meant was that when I brake harder the sound gets louder and less intermittent the “chirping” noise and doesn’t go away till I’m off the brakes

·
Registered
793 Posts
I see. Thanks for clarifying. I think I'd have to pull it apart and look for anything that seems out of place. Any chance the caliper is clipping the inside of the rim? It does move under pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see. Thanks for clarifying. I think I'd have to pull it apart and look for anything that seems out of place. Any chance the caliper is clipping the inside of the rim? It does move under pressure.
Never would’ve even thought about that lol I’ll look tomo after work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts