LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have a 3 year old FN, FNX-40. And whilst I do love the thing, I shot another IDPA event with a 9mm and a 45. and 40cal is starting to get harder to find and more expensive etc.

but going back and forth I did have more overall control and was faster with both the 9mm and the 45. Though I have to also so both of them were, well not standard.

the 9mm was a pro series longer slide M&P. and gee it's nice. I don't normally like a hammerless system but meh.

And on the45 it was a FNX-45 tactical. Which to be fair is not what I intend to purchase but is rather similar to the base 45.

So there is is. Now I mostly am leaning to moving 45 but I am give thought to M&P 2.0 in 45. As much as I love my FNX and the other FNX.

I'm also giving thought to the new FN 509 in 45. But I haven't counted out 9mm.

Thoughts? Other considerations? Before the glock crowd gets started no I don't like them. I'm not going to say it's a bad gun, nothing about that, nothing they don't fit my hand right. all there really is too it and I've tried a number of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,064 Posts
I like shooting 40 but for me it is ALL hand loaded bulk for shooting steel matches. I use it in both a full size Timberwolf based on a G35 and my competition modified Sub 2k in PCC.

That being said, while I do love me some 45ACP and we have many, it's hard to beat the cost effectiveness of 9mm. Especially if you're not reloading.

I'm hardly a Glock fan boy even though we own a lot of them. That being said I've never even fired an FN let alone picked one up. If you like them and shoot them well and they're reliable then stick with it.

M&Ps are fantastic as well and very reliable. I have a hard time staying on target with stock M&Ps but that's a training thing.

·
Dick Ross
7,097 Posts
Have you looked at Walthers? Specifically look at their PPQ Q5. I used to not like Walthers, but then I shot one. Damn is the grip comfortable. It also has noticeably less flip than an M&P 9 IMO. I didn't shoot the Q5, but I'd imagine it would be even better. Anyways, that's my $.02

·
Dick Ross
7,097 Posts
Also, for a wild card, look at the Canik TP9-FSX. My buddy had one, and for the price I was amazed. Still, the Walther would be my first choice, but if you didn't want to pay that much, the Canik is a good option

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't heard of or seen a Canik so I'll look it up. Sort of wanted to stay with known duty pistol makers for this gun as it's going to be my primary HD/Carry.

Biggest appeal of the M&P series is to have the full size and the shield that both function the same, feel mostly the same, etc. which has me leaning this way. But as I said the FNX feels like home.

Black - if you've never used one, it is like a polymer, full ambi - para ordinance double stack 45. They handle and feel good, and run smooth - as a safed DA/SA style gun. (I used the term safed in that is has a seer block mechanism and a de-****er/safety).

Torn I is.

Rich- I've tried the walther PPQ a few years ago I think it was a 4 though. Walther makes some good guns too I've given it a thought too. If I had to pick a third contender in the DAO system it would be theirs. Walther has ties to SW too - but as far as I know they are still german owned, by an AG company if I recall.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm being talked into 9mm by the rest of my church safety team. Seems I am the only odd man out on .40. and the people that have .45 don't carry them.

so everyone but one other person is on 9mm. and he's going to be asked to conform anyway it seems as we are making a standard requirement.

Not a standard pistol or ammo but rather everyone must use something with a minimum 4inch barrel - and show profeciency at 20 yards and 30 yards. which will be hard to do with an LCP.

Or well I think it will be hard to do with an LCP - I know I can't do it. My FNX handles that well - and I can keep it no problem. But as I'm looking to move anyway . . . . . .

Seriously thinking about an FNX 9mm. That also exists. But I really do like the idea of the M&P 2.0 full in 9 and it's counterpart Shield full in 9mm with integrated green laser. why - becasue why the smurf not.

So I'm going to test out an Walther, a M&P and a FN 509 I think. maybe a few others. OH someone else told me to try the Sig 365. Might add that I used to be a sig guy.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I know you said that you don’t like the way Glocks fit your hand, but have you tried the 43X or 45? They have a thinner profile and are easier to conceal. They also feel very different from all of the standard Glocks.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried a 43X and normally glocks don't quite fit me right. (again not a hater they just don't fit my hands well). One of the guys on the team has one and uses it though.

We've been batting the idea that we should all use something with a 4 inch barrel minimum - which prevents use of the M&P shield also as far as I know - and a number of other compacts.. Two of the women on the team use M&P shields and they might move to something else too. I keep going back to the M&P.

Meanwhile there is a joint near me called Shoot Point Blank they are a range/store. They have a great test and rental policy. SO I'm going to try a number of things.

On the list currently. M&P, and Shield, Sig P320 and 365, FN 509, Walther M2, and maybe that new Q5 even though it's a alloy frame. The Canik TP9 something, and I might be trying an Archon Type B. I'm a bit off on the non-common name brands mostly because of liability and recognition and the like. But I'm still open to suggestions. I might even try a glock gen 5 while I'm there.

On thing that I wish more guns had was full ambidexterous control. FN does this which is a main thing I like - since I like to trade hands. Course when I carry it will be in a holster on one side so that is going to determine my common use. true. But I still practice with both hands especially in a grap from table sort of sense as I might well break my RH or LH tomorrow.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH and side follow on I might try some longer slide options too. No I don't really know why but I have used some competition 1911's in an IDPA setup with 5 inch barrels and they draw more or less as well as a 4 inch. I see a few people do carry items like the M&P pro series (5 inch) or the CZ something. OH that's another I might test is the CZ

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So tested the following.

M&P 2.0
Sig P320 (ALA M17 model)
Centruy arms TP9-- (it had letters at the end)
FN 509
M&P Shield 2.0
Sig 365
CZ P10 something (I should have taken pictures I realized as I left the parking lot)

Rented for 30 minutes and put 50 rounds though.

M&P:2.0
Sig P320
FN509

Yes I did sit there and go though 150 rounds of 9mm - that I also bought yes it was overkill sort of.

So far I loved the 509 - unfortunetly it doesn't have a easier to conceal, single stack counterpart gun but it was great.

But I was most accurate with the Sig and the M&P after the 30 minute rental test. The Sig wasn't a base standard model sig so I will have to try again. The CZ I was the most accurate with out of all of them but I really think I had a completion model not a standard model.

Of the concealable other device. I have to say I think I shop the Sig 365 better than the M&P Shield but not by alot. (call it 15 out of 20 vs 17 out of 20) but the M&P is easier to conceal.

At the end I'm still leaning M8P 2.0 in 9 - with glow or fiberoptic sights; and M&P shield 9mm possibly with the integrated laser, just becasue.

But I'm probably going to do another set of test runs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts