LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to get some of this clarified. BMR just released new driveshafts (rated up to 1000HP), CV shafts (rated up to 800RWHP), and axle stubs. They state that these components fail in the order I put them. My question is at what RWHP should we really start looking at these as necessary upgrades? What should the OE components be able to handle in terms of RWHP? My Goat is at 326 RWHP and a heads/cam swap is on the short list of future mods. Do I need to upgrade these components first before the heads and cam or will the OE be able to handle what I figure to be about 375-400 RWHP? It seems like these new pieces, as bullitproof as they are, to be a bit of overkill (ie. 800RWHP)! Just for a reference for everyone if we have 800 RWHP and our car weighs roughly 3900lbs, if we can get traction we will run around a 9.9sec 1/4 mile. This is just my example of what I think is overkill. What's everyone's opinion on this subject?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
im not sure what the "failure" points are. but you could always build up your engine the way you want. and replace as needed.
maybe you will never have a problem with you drivetrain, and thus never need the upgrades. i know padregto is running some major power, and i think he is doing on the stock drive train.

i think it is a bit early in the aftermarket to have a really good idea of what part fails when.
it might be "trial and error" for the first few braves souls who go mod crazy

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you're saying, I just don't want to be that guy! From what I understand when these pieces fail they can cause a lot of other damage. Unless I'm wrong about that fact.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Napravit said:
I understand what you're saying, I just don't want to be that guy! From what I understand when these pieces fail they can cause a lot of other damage. Unless I'm wrong about that fact.
lol, they probably do alot of damage. i would add the BMR drive safety loop to your list ;)

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Napravit said:
I need to get some of this clarified. BMR just released new driveshafts (rated up to 1000HP), CV shafts (rated up to 800RWHP), and axle stubs. They state that these components fail in the order I put them. My question is at what RWHP should we really start looking at these as necessary upgrades? What should the OE components be able to handle in terms of RWHP? My Goat is at 326 RWHP and a heads/cam swap is on the short list of future mods. Do I need to upgrade these components first before the heads and cam or will the OE be able to handle what I figure to be about 375-400 RWHP? It seems like these new pieces, as bullitproof as they are, to be a bit of overkill (ie. 800RWHP)! Just for a reference for everyone if we have 800 RWHP and our car weighs roughly 3900lbs, if we can get traction we will run around a 9.9sec 1/4 mile. This is just my example of what I think is overkill. What's everyone's opinion on this subject?
BMR was spraying 150 shot (i think) there A4 and running low 11's and nothing broke yet I dont think and they made a ton of passes....I think your safe to at least 450rwhp

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
BMR was spraying 150 shot (i think) there A4 and running low 11's and nothing broke yet I dont think and they made a ton of passes....I think your safe to at least 450rwhp
I thought the only thing that hadn't broken in the BMR was the transmission?

As I understood it, BMR was making replacement parts for things in the order they broke during their testing with their own GTO?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
phobos512 said:
I thought the only thing that hadn't broken in the BMR was the transmission?

As I understood it, BMR was making replacement parts for things in the order they broke during their testing with their own GTO?
that may be......I was thinking of the tranny i guess

here is a thread where they give specifics on failures

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4949

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Notice they mention 60' times :D

Power and Torque wont really break these parts, "shock" will. You have some sticky stick tires and the power/torque and really launch it things WILL break. Go look at the puney little driveshaft and how it is connected. A heavy car throwing down the power to the ground (and not spinning the tires) will start to destroy parts.

If someone wanted to put up a collection for the new BMR parts for my car I'd be happy to show everyone what breaks first.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
BMR was running a 200-shot on a bolt-ons motor and broke their differential. Thing is, they didn't break any of the components that they're selling upgrades for. The posi went first and was the only thing to fail. On LS1Tech they said they ran 70-80 dyno pulls and 25 1/4-mile passes before it went.

I certainly think their new drivetrain components are awesome, but probably not necessary until you're putting 500hp+ to the ground and doing lots of really hard launches.

Padre

·
2004 Black GTO M6
5 Posts
PadreGTO said:
BMR was running a 200-shot on a bolt-ons motor and broke their differential. Thing is, they didn't break any of the components that they're selling upgrades for. The posi went first and was the only thing to fail. On LS1Tech they said they ran 70-80 dyno pulls and 25 1/4-mile passes before it went.

I certainly think their new drivetrain components are awesome, but probably not necessary until you're putting 500hp+ to the ground and doing lots of really hard launches.

Padre
i have 381 rwhp with nitto extreme drags on my car and i just broke my drive shaft. It just started to make little sqeaking noises. I thought it was my rear end and was afraid but when i floored it from a stop it twisted the driveshaft and broke it. The dealer said they never saw something like that before. Im looking for someone to that sells stronger driveshafts for my car. I also did like over 50 hard launches in my car before it broke so its not that bad of a driveshaft.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
thegreatone7586 said:
i have 381 rwhp with nitto extreme drags on my car and i just broke my drive shaft. It just started to make little sqeaking noises. I thought it was my rear end and was afraid but when i floored it from a stop it twisted the driveshaft and broke it. The dealer said they never saw something like that before. Im looking for someone to that sells stronger driveshafts for my car. I also did like over 50 hard launches in my car before it broke so its not that bad of a driveshaft.
wow. i see you have a pretty lenghthy list of mods there. let us know how the new BMR drive train components work for you.

·
8,959 Posts
thegreatone7586 said:
Did it break anything else when it failed? I'm definitely getting the BMR driveshaft safety loop (need it for IHRA tracks anyway).

Padre

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Notice they mention 60' times :D

Power and Torque wont really break these parts, "shock" will. You have some sticky stick tires and the power/torque and really launch it things WILL break. Go look at the puney little driveshaft and how it is connected. A heavy car throwing down the power to the ground (and not spinning the tires) will start to destroy parts.

If someone wanted to put up a collection for the new BMR parts for my car I'd be happy to show everyone what breaks first.
Impulse makes the world go 'round! (Well, OK - not really. And not the color, either. But it is the key to understanding lots of physical systems under stress - like self-destructing cars... ;) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
A source from the hot rodding world: http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com

I've never bought any of their products but I've read hot rodding articles where they have. Here's a quote from the site:

""We stand behind our 28 year reputation by telling you that “If you ever twist our steel tubing or break our steel welds...Replacement is FREE” no joke, no kidding, no bull.""

"We also offer you Free Lifetime Labor for most of your future alteration and maintenance needs."

If I were in need of parts, I'd give them a call.

--JMarsa

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
thegreatone7586 said:
You know, reading over your list of mods, I'd think that you'd make more power than only 381 RWHP. Did you have the vehicle dyno tuned (not just dynod) after all the mods?

·
2004 Black GTO M6
5 Posts
phobos512 said:
You know, reading over your list of mods, I'd think that you'd make more power than only 381 RWHP. Did you have the vehicle dyno tuned (not just dynod) after all the mods?
The place i took it too is having a hard time tuning my car i don't know if its so new they havn't worked things out or they just suck. But they are working on there own gto and said once they tune that then i can bring mine back in but 381rwhp is without headers. with headers it should be around 420 to the wheels plus i just got a nos ls1 dry system 150 shot so should be putting down around 550-600 to the wheels. Until my halfshafts break. i just ordered the bmr driveshaft so my car will run now and then ill take it to a tuning place again to give numbers with nos and without.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
thegreatone7586 said:
The place i took it too is having a hard time tuning my car i don't know if its so new they havn't worked things out or they just suck. But they are working on there own gto and said once they tune that then i can bring mine back in but 381rwhp is without headers. with headers it should be around 420 to the wheels plus i just got a nos ls1 dry system 150 shot so should be putting down around 550-600 to the wheels. Until my halfshafts break. i just ordered the bmr driveshaft so my car will run now and then ill take it to a tuning place again to give numbers with nos and without.
wont a 150 dry shot of NOS burn up your heads and pistons? or are you upgrading your fuel system as well?

·
Registered
835 Posts
PadreGTO said:

Padre
when they broke their diff, what did it do? Did they just loose the posi and still have 1 wheel drive or was it something more severe?

·
8,959 Posts
cjlannoy said:
Did they just loose the posi and still have 1 wheel drive or was it something more severe?
As I read their posts, they lost the posi and still had one wheel. Upon launch, they described it as smoking one wheel and getting no traction. I'd love to hear more, because I'd like to know what NOT to do and secondly, what I need to strengthen if that's the weak point.

Padre

1 - 20 of 27 Posts