LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't there anyone out there that will make a carbon fiber or fiberglass (or hell, even aluminum - aluminium if you're Australian I bet) hood that is identical style wise to the OE hood? Or perhaps with ONLY a few heat extractors to the back, sort of like Florit's racecar hood but not so many extractors (or maybe a few along the back edge toward the windshield stretching all the way across the hood)?

Please? Is that too much to ask? Pretty please with sugar on top?

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Hang on to your panties! I talked to my Pontiac Car God tonight and I'll take the goat down for a visit so he can start measuring things up.

First will be a hood with functional scoops & heat extractors...
Second will be a low drag body kit...

Following will be new heads, cam, super charger, brakes, etc.etc.

Everything will be geared towards power and power styling. He is planning on everything (body wise) being graphite. :cool:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
if you check MPDs site, they give an option for the scorpio or the OE style. check it out. im not sure if this means that you can get the factory style hood in FG. but thats what i would assume.
but still, thats alot of money to pay just to save a couple pounds. and unless you wanna be running an 11s car like BMR or Padre, does it really matter that much. IMO, you could spend $1500 much more efficinetly.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
GTOdriver7 said:
if you check MPDs site, they give an option for the scorpio or the OE style. check it out. im not sure if this means that you can get the factory style hood in FG. but thats what i would assume.
but still, thats alot of money to pay just to save a couple pounds. and unless you wanna be running an 11s car like BMR or Padre, does it really matter that much. IMO, you could spend $1500 much more efficinetly.
The Scorpio or OE style refers to the airbox they sell - you either get one with an opening for "ram" air or you get one with a window.

And I'm well aware that I can "spend $1500 more efficiently." The fact is, I am not looking at ANY parts for right now this very second. But they more we ask for what we want, the more likely it's going to exist in the near future. First on my list is JBA Ti Shorties and an SLP Exhaust (Loudmouth or Powerflo, I can't decide, but one of the two). After I get performance, THEN it'll be time for looks. I'm much more a go than a show sorta guy, I want an OE style fancy hood for weight reduction ONLY. If I was interested in the intake stuff, then maybe I'd be looking at scoops, but the fact is, there's a supercharger in my future since none of the H/C are CARB'd right now so far as I know, and I want to get up to ~450+RWHP.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One can always be made to your specs.... keep me in mind when you're ready. Also, would you want to paint it or leave it CF with your black ext?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goatee said:
One can always be made to your specs.... keep me in mind when you're ready. Also, would you want to paint it or leave it CF with your black ext?
While many people have expressed the opinion that this is "ricey", I'm interested in just have the hood clearcoated (or whatever it is called for CF) because I think the pattern is neat and I don't think the difference will be all that apparent on a black car. More importantly, enough paint to make a CF hood look good is more weight and weight = bad.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
More importantly, enough paint to make a CF hood look good is more weight and weight = bad.
maybe like 10 lbs or something

phobos with all your talk of weight savings it sounds like you are trying to build a top fuel dragster??? :p

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GTOdriver7 said:
maybe like 10 lbs or something

phobos with all your talk of weight savings it sounds like you are trying to build a top fuel dragster??? :p
Hmm...I hadn't thought of that... :secret:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts