LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99SoCal was probably right...time to transition to the upcoming season.

I'll start with the Mavs. They're probably a better team already than they were last year, but it is still the Warriors and Spurs, then a little gap until you get to the Clippers, then another gap until you get to the rest of the playoff hopefuls.

At least in the West...and on paper.

Cavs get to play against a bunch of dopey teams in the East, again, that are all playing for 2nd place.

Of course, there is a long ways to go and that is all major speculation.

·
HGH Optimist
8,023 Posts
Houston Rockets! 2017 CHAMPS!!! BOOK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goddamn, man. Your Rockets were right there a couple of years ago and now it seems like any team that isn't the Spurs or Warriors is fighting a losing battle.

THAT SAID, sometimes it's about the journey. The "title or bust" attitude is a contributing factor to all of these stars forming "super teams". I knew the Mavs weren't going to win it last year, but watching them scrap their way to the playoffs was way fun and watching them steal game 2 from the Thunder was pretty awesome, too.

You like the D'Antoni hire? I don't remember if you made mention of it in the other thread.

·
HGH Optimist
8,023 Posts
Hell no.

We got rid of 2 coaches that didn't care about Defense... for another coach that doesn't really care about Defense.

We did hire Bzdelik, that may be an improvement. However... I think the combo of D'Antoni's offense with the lack of effort on Defense... is gonna make it look like Bzdelik can't make it work.

Who knows, though. I could be entirely wrong... and we learn to make it work.

I'm just skeptical about D'Antoni. Plus... Harden is our team, for the most part, but I'm wondering if the Kardashian Kurse ruined his chance of doing anything.

·
Can't remove spark plugs
654 Posts
THAT SAID, sometimes it's about the journey.
I agree, while the finals may be good for casuals who only watch some basketball, you really feel like you're growing with the team and players during the 82 game season. I had almost as much fun watching the Cavs in 11-14 as I did from 03-07 because there's something magical about watching a young player with elite potential grow up in front of your eyes.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we all knew it was coming, but Tim Duncan officially retired:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/7/11/9165781/tim-duncan-retires-san-antonio-spurs

I'm not sure I've cheered against a player more than I did the Big Fundamental. As a Mavs fan, he and his Spurs teams were infuriating. Can't deny his greatness, though, and I know how special it is for San Antonio fans to have him play his entire career there.

That's one hell of a career.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
Yeah I think we all watched lots of great battles that involved that guy.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Russ staying in OKC. I'm surprised how early that was resolved. I can't wait for the first match-up against the Warriors. I bet Russ takes 35 shots, scores about 40, and has 12 turnovers while trying to do it all.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Underway tonight!

Figure most folks will be watching baseball, but I'm interested to see the Spurs vs Warriors nightcap.

·
HGH Optimist
8,023 Posts
Wish I would've watched the game.

I caught chunks of the Cavs/Knicks game before going to the gym. When I got home, I watched a few minutes of the Spurs/Warriors, and wow... I should have kept watching.

Pop is hilarious, too.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It took how long for Golden State to lose a game last year?

Kawhi Leonard looked good as hell. He was a fringe MVP candidate the last two years, but he might get serious consideration this year. No way Steph puts up those video-game numbers with KD playing alongside him, so he won't run away with it again.

Mavs opener tonight!

·
Not a Mustank Douche
10,046 Posts
I didn't watch any basketball last night as I was watching the WS...but damn sounds like GS got worked over by the Spurs. I mean is it really that surprising though? I think its going to take a bit of time to try and gel all of those guys together (if they can at all). Should make for an interesting year.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
It took how long for Golden State to lose a game last year?
If you count the finals, they've now lost 4 in a row.

Hmmmm.......

·
HGH Optimist
8,023 Posts
mistermike = #Savage

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe Bogut was the linchpin to that GSW team after all!?!?!?!

Fucking Mavs. Another OT game (led league in them last year) and another loss. Miles Turner went off.

·
HGH Optimist
8,023 Posts
I was busy last night, so didn't catch any of the Rockets game.

I saw Harden almost had a double-double in the 1st quarter.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He had 14 assists in the first half!

·
HGH Optimist
8,023 Posts
Yup. More of the same on Defense is what I'm hearing, though...

Fak.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Ouch

1 - 20 of 337 Posts