LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure the draft is a good excuse to start this thread.

Mavs got Dennis Smith out of NC State at #9. I was kind of hoping for Ntilikina, but I'm not disappointed in Smith. Apparently the Mavs were smitten with him after his workout. Enough so that they didn't try to move up to get Ntilikina.

Lonzo Ball in LA....what could go wrong?!?!?

That's going to be a circus.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
Remember that conversation we had about players making the big decisions in the league now?

What do we all think about a dad of a draft prospect making big decisions before his kid is even picked up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bulls got robbed on the Butler trade. There had to have been a better deal out there than what MN gave up to get him. Kudos to Thibs for schooling Gar/Pax.

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember that conversation we had about players making the big decisions in the league now?

What do we all think about a dad of a draft prospect making big decisions before his kid is even picked up?
I get it in the sense that you don't know how limited the opportunity is for capitalizing on being a basketball player will be, so you want to get as much as you can when you can. LaVar is obnoxious as hell, so I don't know that he has done his kid many favors in making his brand desirable. Of course, he did end up in the one place where people will buy a label that screams ****y, unproven asshole. By all accounts, the Lonzo isn't nearly as bad as his dad. I'm sure his hubris isn't lacking, but he at least seems approachable. Speaking of the Ball family, if you're a Lil Dicky fan, this is hilarious:

Bulls got robbed on the Butler trade. There had to have been a better deal out there than what MN gave up to get him. Kudos to Thibs for schooling Gar/Pax.
Draft day trades usually end up lopsided because the time between knowing where you'd need to be to draft your guy and draft day is small and the options for trade partners are few. What I can't believe is that Minnesota convinced the Bulls to throw in their #17 pick as well. I think Minny already comes out ahead getting Butler for LaVine, Dunn, and the #6. Make it Butler and the #17 and forget about it. Butler is an absolute stud.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
I get it in the sense that you don't know how limited the opportunity is for capitalizing on being a basketball player will be, so you want to get as much as you can when you can. LaVar is obnoxious as hell, so I don't know that he has done his kid many favors in making his brand desirable. Of course, he did end up in the one place where people will buy a label that screams ****y, unproven asshole. By all accounts, the Lonzo isn't nearly as bad as his dad. I'm sure his hubris isn't lacking, but he at least seems approachable.
https://youtu.be/iPteUZfRrKw

Hope y'all saw this. I might've even linked it in the other thread. Still funny, though.

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THAT is funny.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
Magic & Pelinka so far are a love hate thing for me. I loved the trade they pulled on the Nets but the Lonzo Ball pick I just can't get on board with.

Fox and the kid the Celtics got appear to me the best of this draft, but who really knows right now.

LOL at the Bulls, what a train wreck. Great deal for the Wolves, biggest upside IMO is they have a superstar genuinely happy to be in Minny since it gets him away from the Bulls dumpster fire. I hope Riley will reach out to Wade at some point and let him know the door is always open... And Rondo, god what a remarkable gifted head case that guy is, every time I think he is a total kook he does some pretty remarkable things, his 2 games in the playoffs where top notch.

Danny Ainge continues to school when it comes to rebuilds. I'm not 100% sold that Isiah Thomas is the guy to lead them to another title, more of a 2nd best player on a title team IMO. But there is no denying Ainge is hustling.

That kid the Mavs got looks like a ridiculous athlete, IMO it's what you need in today's game. I also think it's why Lonzo Ball will underwhelm.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,482 Posts
I think Ball will be close to Rubio, not worth the hype because of a faulty shot.

Good luck to Magic though, miss the Showtime days.

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ball can shoot, he just has a weird, not ideal release that may make it hard to get off if he's not in space. If nothing else, he keeps the defense honest when he's off the ball.

Rubio couldn't shoot his way out of a wet paper sack.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
I think Ball will be so limited athletically he will have trouble keeping up. Defending some of what he does becomes much easier when you are faster, stronger and have more stamina than he does.

Factor in the target he has on his back and I can only imagine what some of these NBA guys are going to do to him.

Also the Lakers want to be a Warriors type offense, but they don't have anyone who can shoot the damn ball.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Cavs / Pacers / Nuggets trade rumors are getting on my fucking nerves.
That is all.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
Because of the Super Team talk?

:wall:

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:gr_jest:

Give Lebron a break. He's never played on a super team before, so maybe he's excited about that opportunity. Though he said that super teams are bad for the league, so maybe he is hoping he never gets that opportunity. :scratch:

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
Love to watch the guy play. He's undoubtedly the greatest.

But... keep him away from microphones.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
Sadly for Cleveland, there will be no more white horses or pretty ladies at your door.

-Noone wants to take Kevin Love off their hands, they've tried that 15 times already

-Paul George is not going anywhere except the Lakers, everyone knows this (including Larry Bird, who would rather quit his job than lose this guy to Magic and the Lakers). He will be traded there before the trade deadline just so Indiana gets something in return, it will probably be Lavar Ball coming back to them (Yes, the Father).

-Lebron is leaving (Yes, again)

-The owner is a twit, the players have been reminded of this with the bizarre handling of the David Griffin situation, Kyrie IMO will be looking for the exit door ASAP as well.

-This all makes for a bit of a shit sandwich right now, one that Chauncy Billups is not sure he even wants to sign up for

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love to watch the guy play. He's undoubtedly the greatest.

But... keep him away from microphones.
:judge:

Sadly for Cleveland, there will be no more white horses or pretty ladies at your door.

-Noone wants to take Kevin Love off their hands, they've tried that 15 times already

-Paul George is not going anywhere except the Lakers, everyone knows this (including Larry Bird, who would rather quit his job than lose this guy to Magic and the Lakers). He will be traded there before the trade deadline just so Indiana gets something in return, it will probably be Lavar Ball coming back to them (Yes, the Father).

-Lebron is leaving (Yes, again)

-The owner is a twit, the players have been reminded of this with the bizarre handling of the David Griffin situation, Kyrie IMO will be looking for the exit door ASAP as well.

-This all makes for a bit of a shit sandwich right now, one that Chauncy Billups is not sure he even wants to sign up for
:rofl:

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CP3 to Rockettes for fodder?

Damn. That's a nice addition for Houston.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
Word is... we're not done dealing.

Reports are:

- We're gonna deal for more people, to make way to bring in Paul George.
- Melo has said if they buy him out, he wants to come down to Houston to play alongside CP3*.

*Since Phil Jackson is out of NY... I wonder what that'll do with the Melo talks.

·
HGH Optimist
8,011 Posts
I, personally, don't really like the deal. Don't get me wrong... I love Bev, but I get why he was part of the deal.

I'm just not sold on an injury-prone CP3... that'll be a Free Agent next year. If it doesn't work... he might just walk, and we'd be out a bunch of people.

·
Porch Dick
20,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude, the list of players I wouldn't trade for CP3 can't be longer than a dozen or so names. None of the guys the Rockets are trading, combined, make that list.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts