LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured tonight was a good night to start this thread.

:wall:

The West is bonkers so far. I fully expect the Warriors to figure it out and win the West handily, but it's looking a little like it could be competitive.

Toronto with Kawhi looks really stout. Boston looks awful.

My homer comment is how smurfing awesome Luka Doncic has been. The dude is an absolute stud already and is only 19! Once he gets familiar with the NBA's speed and the high IQ of his opponents, he's going to be a real force.

8-2 in the last 10!

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
This guy...

:mrrg:

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This guy...

:mrrg:
I was watching the game last night and thought I ought to give you some shit, then figured I'd start the thread. :gr_jest:

I saw your bump of last year's thread shortly thereafter.

I haven't seen much Rockets basketball, but I'm pretty shocked by their sluggish start. The Carmelo experiment has obviously reached its conclusion.

The Mavs were 2-7 before this last little surge. They lost some very winnable games in those first 9, too. I shouldn't be too greedy, but they could easily be in that 4-6 slot given how crazy the West has been so far.

The KD/Draymond drama out in GS has been quite satisfying as well. What a difference Curry makes to that team. KD fills the stat sheet, but they haven't been nearly as good as their talent suggests they should be without Curry in the lineup. Dude is absolutely the Dubs' linchpin.

As to the bump of the last thread - yeah, I thought pretty much the same. It was rich hearing Rondo try and talk shit about another player being a bad teammate. smurf that guy for the rest of his days.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LUUUUUUKKKKKKAAAAAAA

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Nuggets were the Bengals of the NBA. They were just good enough to give you hope, but it was never rewarded in the postseason.
Conference semifinals of the 2009 playoffs, game 3. I was sitting on the end of the floor that Carmelo hit the game winning 3 as the clock was expiring after he was intentionally fouled TWICE by Antoine Wright (Mavs had a foul to give) and the refs didn't call it. I think I railed on about that in the NBA thread here at the time.

Edit: This game - http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4155285 :mrrg:

I *hated* those Nuggets teams. Weren't quite rival level the way the Kings and Spurs were, but for a short stint, that team really grinded my gears.

Melo, Billups, Kenyon Martin, Chris Andersen, JR Smith...Very punchable team if you weren't a Denver fan ;).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I couldn’t hate on Billups. He is a local and grew up a few blocks away from me and would play basketball at my elementary school when he came home from college over the summer. The others, yeah, basket cases. I do feel bad for Anderson though, he got fake #MeToo’d BAD.

I think the last Nuggets season I followed was 06 or 07. Whatever year it was that Camby was lights out.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Nuggets appear to be for real. Last night I watched them closely for the first time (they were playing the Mavs). Mavs hung with them for about 45 minutes, then Denver went on a 14-0 run. Ended up being an 8 point game.

Nikola Jokic is a very good player. Maybe not quite a star, but well on his way. The rest of the team is a bunch of nice role players. No one looked like they were a mismatch for the Mavs, who are pretty deep and diverse themselves.

They remind me a bit of the playoff version of the Celtics from last year (when Kyrie was out). No top-tier studs, but a very good player surrounded by other good players.

That was #7 in a row at home for Denver - average margin of victory in those games is just shy of 20 ppg.

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
LUUUUUUKKKKKKAAAAAAA
And soon could also be Porzingis?

I hate you.

In other news... Rockets are completely schizo. Harden is playing out of his mind, but if he nosedives in the playoffs... same old song.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
Dear Deandre Jordan,

Remember that one time when you signed with my team and then unsigned. I do.

Signed,
Mark Cuban

Cuban is such a gangster.

Outside of that angle, I don't know WTF either of these two teams is thinking. Porzingis is like a 3 legged unicorn at this point, he hasn't played in how long? I guess Hardaway is worth having but you have to pay him and Lee for 2.5 years now?

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And soon could also be Porzingis?

I hate you.

In other news... Rockets are completely schizo. Harden is playing out of his mind, but if he nosedives in the playoffs... same old song.
Yeah, he is on an ungodly tear right now. But that loss at home to NO (the undermanned version of NO) was a bad one. It's a feast or famine team. It'll certainly make the playoffs a tense affair for all you Rockets fans again this year!

Dear Deandre Jordan,

Remember that one time when you signed with my team and then unsigned. I do.

Signed,
Mark Cuban

Cuban is such a gangster.

Outside of that angle, I don't know WTF either of these two teams is thinking. Porzingis is like a 3 legged unicorn at this point, he hasn't played in how long? I guess Hardaway is worth having but you have to pay him and Lee for 2.5 years now?
Courtney Lee 1 more year ($12MM+), Hardaway 1 more year + a player option.

Porzingis hasn't played in about a year, but he's still a special talent and cheap for now. The piece of the Mavs' organization that I might trust more than the coaching staff is the athletic training/medical staff. If they say he's worth bringing on board, I believe them.

Most folks are suggesting that the Mavs got a steal in this deal - I'm inclined to agree. Matthews is a turd that I wanted them to flush a while ago (though I get that he has more value this year as an expiring) and DAJ only signed a 1-year deal anyways - I hadn't yet been convinced he'd be re-signing. It is cap room that they are trading, but I don't think they gave up anything from a personnel standpoint, there.

Dennis Smith Jr. would be the guy that they Mavs could, at some point, regret not doing more with. The 'problem' for the Mavs is that he needs the ball in his hands to be effective buttttttt....so does Luka. Between the two of them, Luka has been worlds more effective and in a shorter time-frame.

DSJ didn't really handle Luka's sudden emergence too well. I get that he's young, but he still was a little pouty, expressed concerns with his role on the team, and looked like he'd have to be the odd man out.

If Porzingis is never the same and/or the Mavs don't sign him long-term, this could be a failed experiment. As it stands, though, the potential for this team in a couple/few years is pretty damn high (when a non-top 4 team in the West should be targeting a peak). Can't ask for much more if you're a fan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts