LS1GTO.com Forums banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
368 Posts
OUch!!! That performance was embarrassing. I can only wonder had the officials called the first half correctly if we couldn't have been more competitive. In the end we lose but at least make a showing. At least the second game was exciting. Looking forward to next year and some Spencer Rattler.

·
Pepper's Pilot
8,701 Posts
Baylor tried to make it a game. Sucks Brewer got another concussion. Might have been a tight last few minutes had he been able to stay in the game.

Proud of how my Horns took it to the Utes. Though it makes you wonder if the PAC 12 is just that bad outside of Oregon.

·
GR-RRR!
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I honestly think replay/review has ruined officiating. The officiating in all conferences this year has been some of the worst I ever recall seeing. Biggest problem is the noncalls and no amount of replay can help you with that.

Has the game and the rules gotten so complex that no human could ever hope to officiate effectively? I'm particularly frustrated with the B1G crews and yet I see the same yahoos return as officials year after year.

And can someone define "make a football move" for me? To me, a catch is a catch even if he goes down like a bag of rocks after the catch.

·
Administrator
18,979 Posts
I honestly think replay/review has ruined officiating. The officiating in all conferences this year has been some of the worst I ever recall seeing. Biggest problem is the noncalls and no amount of replay can help you with that.

Has the game and the rules gotten so complex that no human could ever hope to officiate effectively? I'm particularly frustrated with the B1G crews and yet I see the same yahoos return as officials year after year.

And can someone define "make a football move" for me? To me, a catch is a catch even if he goes down like a bag of rocks after the catch.
I am becoming more and more of the mindset that replay is TEH DEBBIL. I want games to be officiated correctly, but the rulebook has gotten to be too complex, and those striped assholes have gotten lazier and lazier. The targeting bullshit is just awful. I get it... by the letter of the law, dude led with the crown of his helmet, but there is no consideration for the actual situation. Just stop it. And then there is the catch/fumble/forward-progress stuff. Fuckaroni.

·
Administrator
18,979 Posts
On the bright side, the Bearcats are kicking the shit out of an ACC school. So the question is, "Is it better to be a top-level AAC program, or a middling ACC/Big XII program?" I still think the Big XII needs to add Cincinnati and Memphis, but I'm starting to wonder if that would be "good" for UC. No offense Big XII-dudes, but... I wonder.

At the same time, the AAC needs to stop fucking around and add Marshall. I love kicking the shit out of those hillbillies, but they're a natural replacement for UConn.

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
368 Posts
On the bright side, the Bearcats are kicking the shit out of an ACC school. So the question is, "Is it better to be a top-level AAC program, or a middling ACC/Big XII program?" I still think the Big XII needs to add Cincinnati and Memphis, but I'm starting to wonder if that would be "good" for UC. No offense Big XII-dudes, but... I wonder.

At the same time, the AAC needs to stop fucking around and add Marshall. I love kicking the shit out of those hillbillies, but they're a natural replacement for UConn.
If they can compete at the top I'm sure it would be "good" for them as the Big XII has been in the playoff pretty consistently. We needed a lot of help this season to get there but if you win you are in it seems. Amazed at what Baylor was able to do this season.

·
Wol Gemut
3,242 Posts
It is hilarious to see Ohio fans upset about officiating. and the targeting call was right on, and the fumble call was not bad.

·
Wol Gemut
3,242 Posts
not really sir. I have been here almost as long as you have. twice PSU lost to OSU by calls that were far worse, and one Ohio dude here said that true athletes do not complain about officiating (because he is a great athlete, lol). well, time to tell that to Gene Smith, yourself, and all the other Ohio fans.

·
Wol Gemut
3,242 Posts
and btw, I was for OSU, one because they are Big Ten, two, because I think Urban (his players) is awesome, three, because I wanted to see OSU vs LSU. I still believe OSU is better than Clemson, although Clemson is amazing also. But all this whining about those two calls? ridiculous. The targeting was correct. and in real time, that attempted catch was a flash. When i saw it in slow motion, I thought, catch. when i saw it real time, i thought, this is going to be overturned.

·
Administrator
18,979 Posts
First of all, if you allow those striped idiots to meddle in the outcome of a game, you deserve to lose. That was the lesson I learned once upon a time, and I have told kids a version of that since I began coaching. With that in mind, tOSU lost that game in the first quarter by settling for FGs.

An objective, unbiased, educated observer would admit that each call CHANGED THE GAME, AND HAD A DIRECT EFFECT ON THE OUTCOME. And it is fair to say that those two calls were, ummmm... "questionable". More "questionable" than most, if not any other call during that game. Never mind that I acknowledged that the targeting call was correct given the rules that are in place.

So, go ahead and quote the posts here that constitute "all this whining" that apparently annoyed you a full WEEK after the game.

·
Wol Gemut
3,242 Posts
actually I was not annoyed by all the whining, it is funny, and in my comment that prompted you to call me "troll", I did not even mention you or reference anything you said, so go ahead and tell me how you went from that to "annoyed a full WEEK after the game". Where exactly do you see "annoyed" other than in your name calling. If you have not heard of the massive whining from Ohio fans, including the AD, let me know, I will post a link. I must give Ryan Day credit though, when asked he said something nebulous like "not sure, I would have to look at the tape". This was his way of saying "stop it" without stepping on the AD's toes.

·
Administrator
18,979 Posts
So rather than initiating or joining the conversation, you just dropped a global observation? Cool. My bad. I thought this was an on-going conversation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've hated instant replay in all sports since the beginning. I especially hate it when it goes against my team. I would gladly go back to to the officials' calls as gospel and move on with the game. This shit of getting down to pixels of whether a player's knee touched a blade of grass is total crap IMO. It stops the flow of the game for a team having the opponent on it's heels and can sometimes directly determine the outcome of a game by a decision not totally clear, but an opinion, by the replay guy.

I'll give it an OK for one instance: Last play of the game; game winning TD in the corner of the EZ. Was his foot in bounds. Striped guy might not be in position the see it.

I thought it was OK for baseball too when they only used it to determine a HR. But now, it's gotten ridiculous. If Billy Martin were managing today he'd never have the opportunity to kick dirt on an umpire like before. Earl Weaver could only seethe in the dugout.

Anyway, I'm rootin' for Burrow tomorrow night-and Ogeron, although I've got nothing against Clemson. LSU coach deserves it after all he's been through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
actually I was not annoyed by all the whining, it is funny, and in my comment that prompted you to call me "troll", I did not even mention you or reference anything you said, so go ahead and tell me how you went from that to "annoyed a full WEEK after the game". Where exactly do you see "annoyed" other than in your name calling. If you have not heard of the massive whining from Ohio fans, including the AD, let me know, I will post a link. I must give Ryan Day credit though, when asked he said something nebulous like "not sure, I would have to look at the tape". This was his way of saying "stop it" without stepping on the AD's toes.
I haven't heard a lot of whining. People around here all seem to think that OSU beat themselves. Didn't take advantage of early opportunities which could have run Clemson out of the stadium. I think Ohio State had better talent, and should have won easily, but that's football-err, college football.

181 - 200 of 204 Posts