LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I, along with about 16,000 other fans, am watching the Nebraska Cornhuskers Spring Game! Go Big Red!!!!

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
LOL! Huskers.com did a livecast on Facebook of a virtual game (like watching a video game) with outstanding players from the past. Can you imagine a defensive line with N. Suh and Rich Glover? Hardly seems fair to the other guys. It was a hoot since we can't have the real thing. The offenses were basically Tommie Frazier vs. Eric Crouch.

There were over 16k people watching it live at one point.

·
Pepper's Pilot
8,707 Posts
LOL! Huskers.com did a livecast on Facebook of a virtual game (like watching a video game) with outstanding players from the past. Can you imagine a defensive line with N. Suh and Rich Glover? Hardly seems fair to the other guys. It was a hoot since we can't have the real thing. The offenses were basically Tommie Frazier vs. Eric Crouch.

There were over 16k people watching it live at one point.
I hate life...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm becoming a YouTube junkie. I'm convinced you can watch anything ever filmed on there. I've found every football game that I ever attended in it's entirety going back to '91. Can't find my first baseball game in 1962 in Cleveland-Sunday double header against the Yankees with 78000 in attendance. But, believe it or not, I did find the full comprehensive box score and every micro detail for both games.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm becoming a YouTube junkie. I'm convinced you can watch anything ever filmed on there. I've found every football game that I ever attended in it's entirety going back to '91. Can't find my first baseball game in 1962 in Cleveland-Sunday double header against the Yankees with 78000 in attendance. But, believe it or not, I did find the full comprehensive box score and every micro detail for both games.
I should have specified college games. I've found pro games I attended back to the seventies.

Since we've got nothing to do, check this out: New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians Box Score, June 17, 1962 | Baseball-Reference.com. Look at the Yankees lineup. I was disappointed that Mantle was hurt and didn't play, but he did pinch hit late in the second game.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
The goofy thing about the virtual game is that both Frazier and Crouch were pocket passing all over the place with like 75% completion ratios. Ha! Certainly virtual and no where near reality.

If you have the interest, watch a replay of the 1971 NU/OU "Game of the Century" and just keep track of how many tackles or hurries or disruptions Rich Glover has. Absolutely incredible. And this was against one of the all time greatest offenses in college history.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The goofy thing about the virtual game is that both Frazier and Crouch were pocket passing all over the place with like 75% completion ratios. Ha! Certainly virtual and no where near reality.

If you have the interest, watch a replay of the 1971 NU/OU "Game of the Century" and just keep track of how many tackles or hurries or disruptions Rich Glover has. Absolutely incredible. And this was against one of the all time greatest offenses in college history.
I will check it out. Reminds me that I should find the '77 OU-Ohio State game. One of the best and maybe most brutal I ever saw.

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
I watched the Browns/Bills playoff game from 1989 on Saturday. The game was soooooooooooooooo much more watchable back then. Now, get off my lawn. ;)

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I'm watching the '71 game again. At the end of the first quarter Glover had 6 tackles and 2 assists. He ain't done yet. The NU I-Back was held to 20 yards in the first half. Jeff Kinney got 151 yards in the second half! Nothing but raw determination! Jack Mildren was fun to watch too, even though he was in the wrong colored jersey for that game.

Another interesting observation is how incredibly high the crown of the field was at Norman. These were the early days of astroturf and they all said the high crown was needed to drain rain off the field, but it was intentionally built that way for running teams, running toward the lower side of the field was actually running down hill, allowed the runners to be faster to the outside. Nebraska's field was the same, but I don't think the crown was quite as high as it was in Norman.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
22 tackles in the game......while playing opposite an All-American center.

That game was the first time all season Nebraska had ever trailed in a game. Incredible. Just livin' in the past 'cause the future ain't as bright. :D

BUT, I was only 9 years old that season, I remember the 1992-1997 teams and games much better. That 1995 squad was also something else.

Let me know if you find the OU-Ohio State 1977 game mentioned above, I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
22 tackles in the game......while playing opposite an All-American center.

That game was the first time all season Nebraska had ever trailed in a game. Incredible. Just livin' in the past 'cause the future ain't as bright. :D

BUT, I was only 9 years old that season, I remember the 1992-1997 teams and games much better. That 1995 squad was also something else.

Let me know if you find the OU-Ohio State 1977 game mentioned above, I'd like to check it out.
Youtube has it. A pretty good quality 40 min drive thru. Another good quality replay I watched was the '69 Rose Bowl between OSU and USC where the Buckeyes beat them and OJ and won the NC.

One funny thing I noticed watching those old games is how inept teams were at throwing the ball. In the OSU-OU game both QBs[Gerald and Lott] looked like RBs trying to pass on a flea-flicker. OU had Billy Sims, Overstreet, and the ever popular Elvis Peacock in the BF. They played on that awful carpet covered concrete back then. Made me cringe.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Back in the day the teams could choose the physical footballs they used, the regulations were rather loose and as long as the ball was within a specific weight range the shape could vary quite a bit. I know Nebraska who was always a predominantly running team they used a ball that was almost round, not as pointed as what we think of as a football. The point being that a ball that is more round is easier to handle in running situations. HOWEVER, it was not very helpful in passing. Go out in your yard and try to throw a basketball accurately 30 yards! Nowadays the size and shape of the ball is more more closely regulated and they are consistent from one team to another.

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
Youtube has it. A pretty good quality 40 min drive thru. Another good quality replay I watched was the '69 Rose Bowl between OSU and USC where the Buckeyes beat them and OJ and won the NC.

One funny thing I noticed watching those old games is how inept teams were at throwing the ball. In the OSU-OU game both QBs[Gerald and Lott] looked like RBs trying to pass on a flea-flicker. OU had Billy Sims, Overstreet, and the ever popular Elvis Peacock in the BF. They played on that awful carpet covered concrete back then. Made me cringe.
I watched the 69 Rose Bowl last week too. Great stuff.

Back in the day the teams could choose the physical footballs they used, the regulations were rather loose and as long as the ball was within a specific weight range the shape could vary quite a bit. I know Nebraska who was always a predominantly running team they used a ball that was almost round, not as pointed as what we think of as a football. The point being that a ball that is more round is easier to handle in running situations. HOWEVER, it was not very helpful in passing. Go out in your yard and try to throw a basketball accurately 30 yards! Nowadays the size and shape of the ball is more more closely regulated and they are consistent from one team to another.
You ain't kidding. We have a rounder Nike ball and a pointier UA ball. Over the course of a few days, if the kid is struggling with accuracy, he gets the UA ball so that he can tighten it up. Once he's throwing accurately, we go back to the Nike ball.

Oh, and the kid is about 6'2", 165-lbs. now. o_O

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember that. The kickers would have their own ball brought into the game for FGs. They looked like a playground ball with half of the stripes worn off. They also used the hockey puck to kick off of too.

How you guys holding up? I assume no one's working. This is just like vacation for me because all I do then is sit around and drink beer anyway. The golf courses are open, but the weather's been shitty and I've skipped the first 2 weeks of the league. If this lasts for an extended time I should be able to get back to playing more. In the meantime I've been walking 2 miles a day for the last month and a half, so something good's coming out of this at least.

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My job has not been affected, working as much as ever. Makes me crave retirement even more. Not a huge change for me other than I go shopping less. If I go shopping for stuff we need I try to consolidate it into one trip a week to multiple places instead of multiple trips over a number of days. The wife insists I wear a mask when I'm in any stores. Not sure it really matters, but she worries so I do it. I've seen more of my neighbors than ever before, everybody is out walking or bike riding way more often than before.

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
398 Posts
The wife and I are at work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Shopping is the only big issue we are having. The dishwasher shit the bed last week so we had to make a Lowe's trip Saturday, what a frigging circus that was. Felt like a Walmart run the place was so packed. I'm seriously missing my Harley escapades though, they revolve around bars and restaurants so it isn't nearly as much fun now. My liver is taking an ass whooping being stuck at home and work. Home work home work home work gas station home work home work AAAARRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
Some clown decided that even though appraisers* are "essential", it would be cool if banks didn't need refi appraisals for the next 4-months. So, I've been busy with work, but I expect this summer to be pretty light. By that time, oldest will be playing college soccer, the youngest will get an abbreviated AAU hoops season, and then football will start.

*Every type of real estate except houses.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've often thought about retiring, but I realize that it will be just like what I'm doing right now-nothing. I've been a ***eler for the past 55 years and I can continue that until I croak if I don't get sick or my hands start to shake. Besides, It's kinda nice to have reached that point in life where I hold all marbles.

Can you imagine, this outfit excised j-e-w from j-e-w-e-l-e-r. 😂

That's the world we live in, folks. Let me see: Jesus was a ***. Uhh, what...an ass? A yak? A bum?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this mess will subside when the warm weather hits. The warmth and sunlight will kill it off just like it does with the other viruses every year. Then we'll have a coronavirus plague thereafter every winter just like colds and flu. Surely we'll find some way to combat it by then.

In the meantime, get your vitamin D level up to at least 50[I take 5000 IU daily], take a multi-vitamin and drink lots of orange juice. That's my regimen and I went through the entire cold and flu season this year without a sniffle even though I work closely[like in the same small room] with 7 other people who all had vicious colds and flu. I'm 73, they're all in their 20s and 40s.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts