LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just changed me oil this afternoon...

the manual states 6.5 quarts for a drain + filter change..thats exactly what I did, it seems a little high on the dipstick, i was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? i'm not sure whether or not i should drain some of the new oil out? its maybe a quarter of an inch above the "operating range" hash marks

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, my car isn't smoking, so i'm not going to worry too much about it being overfilled :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you build the motor later on and build to run upwords of 7,000 rpm you'll want to do either of two things. The LS1 has an oil return problem at high rpm. Not enough returns quick enough and subsequently you leave the mains dry.

1) add more oil to compensate
2) build a return line from the heads back to the pan.

That's the reason capacity was spoken about in another thread Scott.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I did mine a couple of days ago and it took 6.5 as well and come up to the top of normal operating range on the dipstick

·
Registered
235 Posts
mike_ct said:
i just changed me oil this afternoon...

the manual states 6.5 quarts for a drain + filter change..thats exactly what I did, it seems a little high on the dipstick, i was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? i'm not sure whether or not i should drain some of the new oil out? its maybe a quarter of an inch above the "operating range" hash marks
I got my oil changed yesterday at the dealership and the same thing happened. I brought 7 quarts of Amsoil and they gave me 1/2 quart back. I just checked the dipstick and its reading a little bit above the "operating range" hash marks. I hope I don't damage the engine. BTW, the car is not smoking at all ...

Gianni

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You won't damage anything. It will most likely seep past the main bearings if it is too full. That amount isn't enought to cause any seepage.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i checked the dipstick, and its now right on top of the normal range; so it did take 6.5 quarts, dead on....BTW i only got about 5 quarts out when i drained; must have been a little low :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Some consumption is normal with any motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best thing i guess is to follow the manufacturers advice from the manual. The engineers test the **** out of the engine. Re: oil...
BTW, mine has 500mi, and the next day i bought the car, there is an engine type whine, at idle on park, and sometimes driving, it sounds like somethings loose or needs lubrication, yet the engine runs strong on the freeway...does anyone have this problem...advice please.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I've found that the oil filter can saturate a LOT of oil once filled. I'd be willing to bet the oil level is high after filling the oil but before it makes its way back into all the places it goes before it was drained. (Such as the filter.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts