LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't seem to find any info on the oil change light. From what I've read, it looks like most of you have varying schedules as to when you change your oil. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the average mileage is that the change oil light comes on. The manual just talks about how it can take more than a year depending on how it's driven. If you drive the car on a daily basis, are we talking 3,4,5 thousand before the light comes on?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I don't think you will find lots of members here who actually sticks to the GM OLMS to decide when to change the oil. Most are so obssesive with this car that they will end up changing the oil way before the computer thinks it needs to be changed.

I can tell you that it will depend on your driving habits. In my Chevy Avalanche, I tripped the monitor at a 4K mile interval doing lots of city stop and go driving during summer. And at one time, I tripped it it at 6500 miles between changes doing mostly highway cruising.

My goat only has had its oil changed to Mobil 1 at the 800 mile mark, and it currently has 2197. I doubt if I will ever see the change oil light in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on when I should have the oil changed? Should I just follow the standard 3,000 mile rule? I don't have the means to change the oil myself, and I don't want some teenage kid changing my oil at Valvoline or Jiffy Lube. Will the dealership look at me funny if I bring it before the computer tells me to?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
We have an oil life monitoring system? (if that answers your question). I would never rely on that. Mine has yet to go off and I've changed it 3 times already.

My truck I would change my oil 3 - 4 times before the light would come on. At least in the trucks it's simple to reset. Turn the ignition on and depress the gas 3 times.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Hungry_Goat said:
Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on when I should have the oil changed? Should I just follow the standard 3,000 mile rule? I don't have the means to change the oil myself, and I don't want some teenage kid changing my oil at Valvoline or Jiffy Lube. Will the dealership look at me funny if I bring it before the computer tells me to?
no, your dealership will say "we are happy to accept your money for that unncessary oil change. we are pleased to bend you over"

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I have had several GM vehicles with the OLMS and followed it religiously. 99 GTP, 02 C5 vert, 03 Z06 and 03 Avalanche. I would change the oil when it got to about 35% left and used only Mobil 1 oil. Even after extended mileage and hundreds of drag races I never once had an oil related problem with any of my cars. It works people, you can believe it. GM has won many industry awards for it and there are lots of auto trade mags that sing its praises. I am a believer.

Just FYI in case you dont know how it works (which is why I think many people are scared of it, they dont know how it works, people fear the unknown) it counts the revs of your motor and based upon a predetermined number per your vehicle it will subract each 1% for so many rotations of the engine. If you drive agressively or put an extra load on the motor by stop and go traffic or high RPM runs, racing etc., it will take off more rotations from the countdown to compensate for the extra stress on the oil.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I know exactly how it works. I worked in the service department for a few years ya know! With that said, I wouldn't put any faith in it.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I know exactly how it works. I worked in the service department for a few years ya know! With that said, I wouldn't put any faith in it.
To each their own, I have personally had 4 previous vehicles with it, 2 of which were high hp modded cars and raced a lot and not one of them showed any signs of oil damage or consumption. :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Just FYI in case you dont know how it works (which is why I think many people are scared of it, they dont know how it works, people fear the unknown) it counts the revs of your motor and based upon a predetermined number per your vehicle it will subract each 1% for so many rotations of the engine. If you drive agressively or put an extra load on the motor by stop and go traffic or high RPM runs, racing etc., it will take off more rotations from the countdown to compensate for the extra stress on the oil.

So thats how those things work. I thought it was just a set period of time.

Thanks.

:)

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
So thats how those things work. I thought it was just a set period of time.

Thanks.

:)
No problem. I really do try to help out around here when I can :gr_jest:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Believe it or not, my OLMS went off and displayed a message in the Driver Information Center (LCD display). That's because I forgot to reset it last time I changed the oil, but since I'm running 10W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic, I just reset the system and drove on. Although now I'm REALLY due for an oil change. Stuff's on the carport, just lookin' for some time.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I've yet to have it come on. I have everything written down and scheduled so i don't wait for it. I still reset it everytime though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my '02 Grand Prix the manual says it is based on revs AND temp.

I switched her over to Mobil 1 the day I got it (at 24000 miles) and the light has come on about every 6 to 7 thousand since. That is about the window I use for Mobil 1 these days. 7k miles is based on my father's recommendation. I'm still waiting on responses for what others are doing with Mobil 1.

J---

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Shag Finger said:
To each their own, I have personally had 4 previous vehicles with it, 2 of which were high hp modded cars and raced a lot and not one of them showed any signs of oil damage or consumption. :)
I guess I'll live with knowing that changing it every 2,500 regardless and physically touching and doing an analysis on the oil will give me the warm fuzzy feelings inside that I crave. Somethng a PCM, which never touches the oil, basing it on a mathematical formula that relies on erractic input can't vouch for.

But hey.........

·
Registered
611 Posts
HitManJ said:
In my '02 Grand Prix the manual says it is based on revs AND temp.

I switched her over to Mobil 1 the day I got it (at 24000 miles) and the light has come on about every 6 to 7 thousand since. That is about the window I use for Mobil 1 these days. 7k miles is based on my father's recommendation. I'm still waiting on responses for what others are doing with Mobil 1.

J---
I have spent a lot of time around friends racing motorcycles, a couple build their own and others engines. Although Mobil 1 is not used on our bikes, we use motorcycle specific sythetics, I have learned this. Modern synthetics are awesome lubricants and under 'normal' driving conditions, 7000 miles is fine for change intervals. I have used Royal Purple in my bikes and Castrol Syntec in my cars. I change oil about every 5000 miles, but have gone a bit farther on occassion with the oil looking very clean.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
LOL! How clean it is, isn't an accurate way to tell how good the oil still is! It's percentage of remaining viscosity and weight are! Without sending it off to be sampled, you won't know this. But laws of physics tell me that oil removed at 3,000 vs. oil removed at 5,000 no matter how "super duper" the oil it may be, the one with less mileage on it is going to retain a greater percentage of it's viscosity and weight.

Matter of fact, if it's clean, that means it most likely isn't doing one of it's jobs, absorbing impurities that are the byproduct of combustion in any engine.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Matter of fact, if it's clean, that means it most likely isn't doing one of it's jobs, absorbing impurities that are the byproduct of combustion in any engine.
Amen. The black in oil is mostly carbon, which belongs in the oil, not on your engine parts. Having said that, one of the mechanics at work, knowing I'll drain Mobil 1 after a few K, has a standing offer to buy my old oil. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
My "change oil" reminder came on at 8,257 miles, I kid you not. Needless to say, I have changed my oil previously to this reminder. The interesting thing though is that according to the owners manual, this change oil message can only be deleted by the dealer. So....everytime that I start up Butch, the change oil reminder message comes up. Does anyone have a clue how to delete it?

Hungry_Goat said:
Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't seem to find any info on the oil change light. From what I've read, it looks like most of you have varying schedules as to when you change your oil. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the average mileage is that the change oil light comes on. The manual just talks about how it can take more than a year depending on how it's driven. If you drive the car on a daily basis, are we talking 3,4,5 thousand before the light comes on?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts