LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in a recent post, that I think was about something else, but showed ~9 min video of oil change, and the guy said You Need To Fill The Filter With Oil - because is 1st place the oil pump tries to get oil from. ??

have owned a lot of cars over the yrs, only blew two of em up (one a 350 in Bama after stupidly running in S in auto trans for 30 or 40 miles on I 20, and the other one, also in a 69 Firebird, ran as a Five Cylinder later - tho was told it leaked some oil out of the Big Hole in the block near the crank, go figure). Have never put oil in the filter during all those oil changes, and hasn't seemed to be a problem so far

Should I add oil to my LS1 filters in the future? To my Pontiac motors as well?
What say you?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I never do on any of my cars and have never had an issue. It doesn't hurt to do it, but can be quite messy especially if the filter doesn't sit vertically.

I do make sure to run the engine briefly to get oil into the filter, and then top it up again afterwards. I find it hard to believe that the filter would be the first place the pump pulls from---I've never seen an oil pickup tube inside the oil filter have you?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Think I've only done it once in the decade I've owned the gto. Dont think I did it to any of my other cars. Maybe my honda once. Only takes a second to do and youre already there. If you arent priming it before starting, it would be best to do so.

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
Have always filled it up as it’s just easy to do. Necessary? Nah.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,328 Posts
I fill them when the filter is vertical. Some cars are horizontal and you can’t do it.

I changed the oil on my Harley recently and the owners manual actually specifies to fill the filter. Never seen that before.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,704 Posts
I do on all filters that are vertical. Gets pretty messy if you try to put some in horizontal filters, so I don't do them.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,745 Posts
Probably not a good idea on Subarus where the filter is upside down.

This is one of those things where it doesn't hurt to do, and it doesn't necessarily hurt not to do. There is enough film between bearings and journals that the motor can rotate for a few seconds while pressure builds back up. With that said, if the filter is vertical, pre-filling it just means that the oil pump has to work less to draw in fresh oil, so pressure will bounce back quicker. If that helps you sleep better at night, then have at it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Saw this in a recent post, that I think was about something else, but showed ~9 min video of oil change, and the guy said You Need To Fill The Filter With Oil - because is 1st place the oil pump tries to get oil from. ??

have owned a lot of cars over the yrs, only blew two of em up (one a 350 in Bama after stupidly running in S in auto trans for 30 or 40 miles on I 20, and the other one, also in a 69 Firebird, ran as a Five Cylinder later - tho was told it leaked some oil out of the Big Hole in the block near the crank, go figure). Have never put oil in the filter during all those oil changes, and hasn't seemed to be a problem so far

Should I add oil to my LS1 filters in the future? To my Pontiac motors as well?
What say you?

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,745 Posts

·
Administrator
21,083 Posts
I do on filters that are mounted vertically and upside down. Doesn't hurt and only helps. Now my lady's subaru? Its vertical and upside down, so I don't.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I do on filters that are mounted vertically and upside down. Doesn't hurt and only helps. Now my lady's subaru? Its vertical and upside down, so I don't.
Um you contradicted yourself there. I mean I think I know what you're saying, but, you know...
Then the engine may present you with a special prize.
Lol it'll be like the old slot machines spitting out coins. Ching ching ching ching ching

1 - 20 of 33 Posts