LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
AFAMET - did u have a question, or comment?
quoted my post, and no xtra words just curious
Sorry bout that. I guess my reply got screwed up. I'm old. Anyway, back in the day, I was a Cadillac tech. The very first oil change I did on a Northstar v8 didn't go very good. 6 qts in the pan, fired it up and....No oil pressure and a whole lot of clattering. Called Tech line and the guy says," Fill the filter up! " Never had that problem again. Makes no sense to me either, but still to this day, I prime the filter first

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ah, now I get it, and understand. I Absolutely Would fill up filter if I was ever paid to have that happen to me.
will Especially remember that if I ever get that Northstar powered Fiero...

My conclusion i guess is: doesn't seem to be a problem - last comment excepted, but unless it makes me that much more likely to make an ugly mess, why not.
which, for Me, is likely more likely than for most others

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Saw this in a recent post, that I think was about something else, but showed ~9 min video of oil change, and the guy said You Need To Fill The Filter With Oil - because is 1st place the oil pump tries to get oil from. ??

have owned a lot of cars over the yrs, only blew two of em up (one a 350 in Bama after stupidly running in S in auto trans for 30 or 40 miles on I 20, and the other one, also in a 69 Firebird, ran as a Five Cylinder later - tho was told it leaked some oil out of the Big Hole in the block near the crank, go figure). Have never put oil in the filter during all those oil changes, and hasn't seemed to be a problem so far

Should I add oil to my LS1 filters in the future? To my Pontiac motors as well?
What say you?
Oil pump doesn't get oil from the filter. It sucks it through the pickup tube into the pump, then pushes it out to the filter. Outlet of the filter goes to all the internal oil passages for lubrication.

I have always filled my filters on every car I have owned. Most wear comes at startup when there is no oil circulating.

·
Wol Gemut
3,738 Posts
I don't believe he said it makes no difference, only corrected the path. if the oil is picked up and then through the filter before it gets to the engine, it seems to me having the filter already full, not needing to fill it up first, before it proceeds on to the engine, that it would indeed be good if it were full first. of course, I have no idea if he was saying that.

·
Worthless reject member
54,282 Posts
well That's no help - you said it Makes No Diff, and you Always Do It ?
;)
kidding
will likely put oil in the filter in future
it does. the filter takes time to fill, even if it's a fraction of a second. if you prime it, that small instance of time isn't spent filling up the filter, it's spend pushing oil through the galleys.

i notice it after an oil change in my truck especially, since those stupid 4.3l vortecs have a pretty tall filter. if i don't prime the filter beforehand, it takes a good half a second for the oil pressure gauge to move after startup.

i mean given the car hasn't been sitting FOREVER it's not really a big deal. oil film has got u, fam. just keeps your heart from sinking all the way into the pit of your stomach before you see the needle flash up.

I don't believe he said it makes no difference, only corrected the path. if the oil is picked up and then through the filter before it gets to the engine, it seems to me having the filter already full, not needing to fill it up first, before it proceeds on to the engine, that it would indeed be good if it were full first. of course, I have no idea if he was saying that.
he is right on. sump, pickup, pump, lower driver side oil galley then past that barbell to filter, filter to the oil press sensor, then lifter galleys/cam.

Auto part Drawing Font Line art Illustration

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have always prefilled my filters when they are vertical (or half filled if they are horizontal). Like someone mentioned, most wear is during initial startup when there is no oil / pressure in the top end. Some engines have the filter top mount (like the pentastar in my Wrangler), so I can't prefill and just have to accept the few seconds of wear. Then again on my '87 RX7 with the rotary, there was no valvetrain, so it didn't matter as much with having the filter on top. But I figured I'd save the engine an additional 5 seconds or so of wear each oil change when I could... so doing some math, I've changed oil 28 times on my GTO. If I save 5 seconds each time, that is like saving the engine from running 2.5 minutes with no oil circulating in the top end.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

·
Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i KNEW i'd get some good disgusting discussing out of this one
and re Zech & NotHJ, kind of get the point of doing it

tho it May, I stress May, not matter - re all the cars we've had for all that time W/O filling filter & no issues

So, 2 things I've gotten recently re oil
1) use 6 qts, not 5 1/2 & then put the rest of the last bottle in the trunk as extra til next change
2) put oil in filter <try not to make a mess>

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
On my Calais I pull the fuel pump fuse and turn it over until I see oil pressure, the filter is sideways on that engine so can't fill it up much

21 - 33 of 33 Posts