LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am appproaching 4,600 miles and am going to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic. I always had good luck with Fram filters. What filter brand would you recommend and could you please list any part numbers? Thanks.

·
MBM/M6
613 Posts
I tend to shy away from Fram. Have you ever cut one apart? Poor construction, fewer pleats than most, overall not recommended (at least not by me.)

After I saw a few cut-aways of oil filters at a speed shop where I used to hang out, I changed to Wix and never looked back. You can also get them at NAPA Auto Parts (Wix makes the NAPA brand.)

Sorry I don't have part numbers, but heck, I don't even have my GTO yet. I'm waiting on an 05... The NAPA guy should be able to help you out (or you can look on their web page.)

·
Is that FWD?
1,102 Posts
I am running Mobil 1 with the Mobil 1 oil filter for $9.99. The part number
is M1-107.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
AC Delco.

GM may skimp on lots of other things, but their oil filters they don't. Otherwise millions of GM vehicles would be in for engine failures related to oiling and filtration and GM would be out of business.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
AC Delco all the way.... but on a side note Tpr.... I love that picture with the kid on the hood, i'm still laughing about it!

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotzaGTO said:
AC Delco all the way.... but on a side note Tpr.... I love that picture with the kid on the hood, i'm still laughing about it!
Thanks. Do you have a part number for the AC Delco filter?

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
UPF44 for the Delco UltraGuard, that is what I used to use.

But since my shop stocks Wix that is what I use now.

Has anyone tried running the longer truck filter on the GTO? I know on the Vettes I had it was too low to the ground but I havent tried it yet with the Goat.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey Tpr, you can go with a Mobil 1 filter. They are readily available (cost about $10) and are rated at the very top for oil filters. I believe M1-107 is the part number but I am not 100% sure.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
It also depends on what kind of oil you run. If you go synth you can go much longer than 3k miles under hard conditions but the question is can the oil filter? After reading around oil forums mobil 1 and KN are the same brand and are some of the top ranking filters. No one has tested the SDF Amsoil filter I am using but it is meant to goto 7500 miles no problem. The oil itself is good to over 10k miles, i think they quote 12500 miles. I don't plan on going that far with it, probably 5-6000 miles.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Standard AC Delco numbers are PF44 which was replaced by PF46. I don't know if they have a UPF46 to superceed the UPF44 though.

Why do you want to run a longer filter? I've asked this repeatedly. I understand that, yes, more oil is being "filtered". But how much better is the filtration by going to this longer filter than a PF44/46? If it's in the filter being filtered, it isn't in your engine providing the critical lubrication needed. That whimsical additional filtration benefit doesn't offset the lesser amount of oil in the engine itself, especially at high rpm where the LS1 has an oil return issue as is.

Sorry, I'd rather have it filtered by the sufficient factory filter (GM engineers felt it sufficient in size) and then on it's way into the engine.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The only reason I see in going to a longer filter is it would allow for longer times between filter changes. The more element surface inside the can the longer it would take to get dirty to the point of being plugged, thus forcing the oil to bypass through the relief valve.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
use Red Line synthetic oil Tpr;)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
mlc said:
The only reason I see in going to a longer filter is it would allow for longer times between filter changes. The more element surface inside the can the longer it would take to get dirty to the point of being plugged, thus forcing the oil to bypass through the relief valve.
Right, but most of us will be changing the oil and filter every 2 - 3k anyway, so what's the advantage?

See my point?

And Frasier, I was wondering if we could pump in some Redline into my M6 this week?

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
TprGTO said:
I am appproaching 4,600 miles and am going to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic. I always had good luck with Fram filters. What filter brand would you recommend and could you please list any part numbers? Thanks.
I have used Wix filters on my older GM's...

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Standard AC Delco numbers are PF44 which was replaced by PF46. I don't know if they have a UPF46 to superceed the UPF44 though.

Why do you want to run a longer filter? I've asked this repeatedly. I understand that, yes, more oil is being "filtered". But how much better is the filtration by going to this longer filter than a PF44/46? If it's in the filter being filtered, it isn't in your engine providing the critical lubrication needed. That whimsical additional filtration benefit doesn't offset the lesser amount of oil in the engine itself, especially at high rpm where the LS1 has an oil return issue as is.

Sorry, I'd rather have it filtered by the sufficient factory filter (GM engineers felt it sufficient in size) and then on it's way into the engine.
Hmmmmm. There are pros and cons on this. I ran 2 quart 737's on my hot racing small blocks. One reason was the added radiating area for whatever cooling benefit it got the oil, the second was that the larger filter area actually lessened the pressure drop across the filter. That being said, you have to have the clearance to use a larger filter. I had one set of headers on one of my cars that sat right next to the filter and I ended up hose clamping a piece of asbestos sheet on that side of the filter to protect it, and lost any added cooling benefit.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Old Goat said:
... the larger filter area actually lessened the pressure drop across the filter.....
Exactly, that combined with the larger surface area for filtering. I dont do it in order to go longer between oil changes, I do it for the above mentioned reason and the fact that with changing the filter at the same interval there is still more surface area unimpeded that is filtering the oil better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely use only gm filters. I've had Gm's my entire life and never lost an engine. I have always used Ac Delco filters. Changed to mobil one at 400 miles 04 torrid red/black m6

1 - 20 of 26 Posts