LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm a brand new GTO owner here and I have a few questions about doing oil changes on the goat. Right now my engine has less than 800 miles on it. I know a light is supposed to come on on the dash when it is time to change your oil, but does this light come on sooner than it usually does when it's time for your very first oil change? If not, do you guys recommend changing the oil at a certain number of miles PRIOR to the light coming on being that this is a brand new engine? Or should I just wait for that light to come on for the first oil change?

Also, what brand oil do you guys recommend for the GTO? I've been using Castrol GTX High Mileage on my Taurus SHO because it seems to be the best stuff out there from what alot of people say. I like the fact that it doesn't "carmalize" (sp?) your internals like other oil tends to do. And do you guys recommend ever changing the oil prior to the light coming on to keep the oil nice and clean? Or should I ALWAYS change it ONLY when that light comes on? Sorry for my ignorance :eek2:, I've just never dealt with a car that tells you when to change your oil based on crank rotations.

I was considering using that new Castrol GTX Start-Up stuff, but lemme know what you guys think is the best oil to put in the motor to keep it healthy as possible.

Much thanks!,
Andrew Grayson

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'm not an expert on this subject but after reading hundreds of posts on this subject I have formed the opinion that as long as you change your oil regularly it doesn't really matter what you use. Personally I use Mobil 1 because I feel like I am pampering the car. I even use the Mobile 1 gas cap and sticker from the Vette. However many swear by dino oil and have never had problems. I don't know anyone here that waits for the reminder light. I have 9,000 miles on mine and have changed oil four times. Obviously I am wasting money but don't care.

:drink::drink:

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
There is tons of info on this. Please do a search as I'm lazy and don't feel like typing. :D

Matter of fact, there is a thread going in the Tech section about how soon he should go to synthetic.

FWIW, I never go by "the light" I've usually changed mine 2-3 times before the light comes on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts