LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer, had him get me an Oil Filter. He gave me Part Number PF46. I go to change the oil tonight and the one on the car is PF44. I tried to do a cross-reference just to check (Fram) and it doesn't rocognize the one I have. If the threads fit, should I use it? It looks the same?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

~MattS

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
434 Posts
MattSaint said:
I went to the dealer, had him get me an Oil Filter. He gave me Part Number PF46. I go to change the oil tonight and the one on the car is PF44. I tried to do a cross-reference just to check (Fram) and it doesn't rocognize the one I have. If the threads fit, should I use it? It looks the same?

Thanks!!!

~MattS
It is supposed to be the same filter, just a new number. :)
Where in new england are you located? I'm in Mass near Boston.

·
Registered
264 Posts
anyone know about magnetic oil plugs??? was thinking of getting one to help get rid of any metal peaces in engine (pick up my car on friday) where can i get one?? and what one fits gtos oil pan?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did eventually find it on the ACDELCO website, but thank you for the info!!!

Another quick question. Is it 6 quarts for a complete drain and filter? It shows 5.3/6.0. I put 5.3 in and took it for a short drive. Looks like I could go the full 6?

Hi Superwildcat,

I live in southern NH. Do you make it to NED? I plan on heading there soon.

Cheers!!!

~MattS

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
434 Posts
MattSaint said:
I did eventually find it on the ACDELCO website, but thank you for the info!!!

Another quick question. Is it 6 quarts for a complete drain and filter? It shows 5.3/6.0. I put 5.3 in and took it for a short drive. Looks like I could go the full 6?

Hi Superwildcat,

I live in southern NH. Do you make it to NED? I plan on heading there soon.

Cheers!!!

~MattS
Hi Matt, Mine takes 6 on a change. What color did you get? I do get up to NED a couple times a year. PM me with your email address when you get a chance. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
MattSaint said:

Thanks!!!

~MattS
PF46 replaces PF44

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put a PF46 on today and at my first oil change also. It took 6.5 quarts to fill each time. I ran the car for a few minutes after putting in 6 qts and it needed another .5 to get right on the mark.

Tom

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yep, 6.5 for mine, too.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
Dealer printed out a service document for me (Document ID 1388943):

Recommended oil is GM Goodwrench Motor Oil SAE 5W30, GM P/N 12345610, or the equivelant engine oil SAE 5W30 SJ ILSAC GF-3.

Quantity 6.5 quarts.

Oil filter is GM part 88984215, accolade part number PF-46

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Either will work. As mentioned, PF46 replaces PF44. They probably added an antidrainback valve (even though it won't matter much the way our filters are located) to help prevent some of the nasty cold start knock that a lot of people have complained about with LS1 and Vortec truck engines.

Since I have a whole stock of 44's, I won't go 46 until I run out.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Either will work. As mentioned, PF46 replaces PF44. They probably added an antidrainback valve (even though it won't matter much the way our filters are located) to help prevent some of the nasty cold start knock that a lot of people have complained about with LS1 and Vortec truck engines.

Since I have a whole stock of 44's, I won't go 46 until I run out.

CMNTMXR57

You are so ture on the anti drain back valve.
NAPA part # 1042 which is made by Wix filters. part#51042
www.wixfilters.com

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I dunno, I was just presuming that's what it was as they did something similar on the truck engines to help quell the CSK.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
Filters that sit up and down vertical don't really need a Anti drainback valve since the filter will always be filled with oil on start up. And make sure you FILL the filter with oil when you install it to avoid dry starts.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
mrgto said:
...the filter will always be filled with oil on start up...
It will also be full when you UNINSTALL the filter. This is very messy. Any tips on how to get that filter off without spilling oil all over my hands? Or is that one of the "occupational hazards" of auto mechanics? :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts