LS1GTO Forums banner

Oil Leak From Filter Seal Continues

5K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  CMNTMXR57 
#1 ·
I've had four K&N oil filters on my 2004 Pontiac GTO and every one of them has leaked oil from around the seal. When I checked the oil at my last fill up, it was low and I have less than 700 miles since the last oil change. I looked under the car and saw the tell tale signs of oil on the skid plate.

Sure enough, this fourth K&N filter was leaking. I have been very diligent about making sure the filter was "tight but not too tight." I have given up on K&N and now there's a Mobil 1 filter on the car. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and I'll let you know what happens.

While we wait, has anyone else noticed oil leaking from the filter seal? The drain plug? God forbid, the heads? There is no WAY a car this new should leak oil.

Last but not least, how much oil would you expect to "burn off" during aggressive driving? Surely not nearly a quart in 700 miles!?

#3 ·
The LS1 will burn a bit of oil. Not a quart in 400mi though. I am not all that partial to the k and n products ( that means I don't like them ) I have used a fram 3506 in my gone camaro for 5 years ( no problems ) My avalanche (1 yr ) and just did the 800mi change in the goat. I have seen zero problems. Just my experiences thought I would share.

#5 ·
Try the Purolator Pure One filter, available at Advance. Better filtration and half the price of the Mobil 1 or K&N. Never had one leak.

#7 ·
Filter seal leak

FLORIT said:
I've had four K&N oil filters on my 2004 Pontiac GTO and every one of them has leaked oil from around the seal. When I checked the oil at my last fill up, it was low and I have less than 700 miles since the last oil change. I looked under the car and saw the tell tale signs of oil on the skid plate.

Sure enough, this fourth K&N filter was leaking. I have been very diligent about making sure the filter was "tight but not too tight." I have given up on K&N and now there's a Mobil 1 filter on the car. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and I'll let you know what happens.

While we wait, has anyone else noticed oil leaking from the filter seal? The drain plug? God forbid, the heads? There is no WAY a car this new should leak oil.

Last but not least, how much oil would you expect to "burn off" during aggressive driving? Surely not nearly a quart in 700 miles!?
Sam, I had the same problem with one of my Killer engines in the truck. Different Gen, but follow me here, I had hand cranked down one of my filter replacements too tight, and cracked the filter adapter casting in the filter well. After that, every filter would move enough under pressure to relieve pressure on the seal on one side enough to weep. Drove me nuts, took weeks to find and simply fix. Hope this helps!
John :)

#8 ·
4000 miles in two weeks with a dozen 1/4-mile passes and a half-dozen autocross runs, and I burned one quart of oil on a highly-modded engine. No mas.

Wonder what my dealer is going to think when I go in for an oil change tomorrow? :)

Padre

#9 ·
An engine is going to burn some oil, its expected a drop every mile. The cross hatch in the cylinder walls ensurs some oil is going to stay at the top of the cylinder and get burned off, thats what cross hatch is for.

Not to brag but I have burned minimal oil since the oil change I did 1,000 miles ago driven very spiritedly. Used 5w-30 M1 sythetic, will be changing to 0-40 next or AMSoil.

So if you have burned a quart of oil its at low mark on the dip stick????

I'm going to try a KN oil filter next, you could try dabbing some white grease on the filter seal. I've never had a problem as such though, I change about 10 oil filters a day.

The guys on LS1tech like the WIX filters or napa gold (rebadged wix) Delco PF46 is good too. They say M1 filter has too low of restriction and lowers oil pressure about 5 psi

#10 ·
pontiac04GTO said:
What benefits is there in changing the oil filter?

Your not serious are you? Engine oil is the lifeblood of your vehicle. Changing it regularly helps ensure the thorough lubrication of your engine’s most vital components.

#14 ·
Many factors go into how much oil a motor burns. A small amount of oil will get by the rings, unless they are of the "total seal" nature. Even then, there are still pathways for it to get into the combustion chamber. If a motor is not properly broken in, and the rings not given proper time to seat...you will burn oil, and it may be quite a bit. If you are going for an all-out, balls to the wall motor, and opt for a low-tension ring package, oil will get by. That is why companies like to gas port pistons, etc so as to push the rings out against the walls to get a better seal. I am not too up on the exact anatomy of the LS1, but I do know, if you bought your car and whoever broke it in at the factory did not follow proper procedure...you may be burning a little more than others. I will say this though...I do find the amount of oil consumed by some GM engines these days a little INSANE. For instance, the Chevy dealership feels told me and feels that it is normal that my 496 in my 2500HD Silverado consumes a quart every 1500 miles. :eek2: WHAT THE HECK?!?!?! MY race motors don't use that much!!! Oh well...

Take care,
Bandit

Oh btw...FRAM filters are GARBAGE!!! Do not use them...seen them collapse WAY too many times to know a POS when I see it. WIX are great and I always liked my good 'ole Delco, even though it may not be the least restrictive.

#15 ·
Oil Leak

FLORIT said:

I have only 600 miles on my car and have already noticed minor oil spots on the garage floor. The dealer checked for leaks (while I watched) and the filter and drain plug looked okay. Seems to originate from front driver's side and ends up at back of skid pan. So far they are saying maybe overfill or the position of car in transport.

The leak is still there but less now. I'm going to Amsoil at 1000 miles and if it diidn't stop, they will look for it with dye. Will post when I know more.

slick50

#16 ·
Bandit79403Dave said:
Many factors go into how much oil a motor burns. A small amount of oil will get by the rings, unless they are of the "total seal" nature. Even then, there are still pathways for it to get into the combustion chamber. If a motor is not properly broken in, and the rings not given proper time to seat...you will burn oil, and it may be quite a bit. If you are going for an all-out, balls to the wall motor, and opt for a low-tension ring package, oil will get by. That is why companies like to gas port pistons, etc so as to push the rings out against the walls to get a better seal. I am not too up on the exact anatomy of the LS1, but I do know, if you bought your car and whoever broke it in at the factory did not follow proper procedure...you may be burning a little more than others. I will say this though...I do find the amount of oil consumed by some GM engines these days a little INSANE. For instance, the Chevy dealership feels told me and feels that it is normal that my 496 in my 2500HD Silverado consumes a quart every 1500 miles. :eek2: WHAT THE HECK?!?!?! MY race motors don't use that much!!! Oh well...

Take care,
Bandit

Oh btw...FRAM filters are GARBAGE!!! Do not use them...seen them collapse WAY too many times to know a POS when I see it. WIX are great and I always liked my good 'ole Delco, even though it may not be the least restrictive.
Wetting the rings? thats what the cross hatch is for :sneaky: 496 big blocks drink oil cause they do by nature, people with 8.1 figure in cost of a quart of oil in with fuel economy cost.

#18 ·
GMH GTO said:
Wetting the rings? thats what the cross hatch is for :sneaky: 496 big blocks drink oil cause they do by nature, people with 8.1 figure in cost of a quart of oil in with fuel economy cost.
Amen. Big Blocks consume oil. Period, nada, end of story. Yet so many people are surprised (especially on GMTrucks.com) when their new 496 swallows a quart between oil changes. I have yet to be around a Rat motor that didn't burn it. My 8.1 averaged a quart per 2,500 miles. If I worked it hard, slightly more.

All engines burn some oil.

But back to the other question, are you sure that you the mounting pad on the block was 100% clean before putting on the new oil filter? That would be a cause of leaking in most cases.

As to filters, I stick with Genuine GM parts, I.E. a PF44/PF46 for mine. GM may be cheap in many areas, but not in their oiling systems. If they did, and the AC filters weren't up to par, GM would be out of business from all the engine oil failure related costs hitting them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.