LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The goat is bleeding!

Love my GTO, but after 4 weeks of ownership and 2000 miles I went for first oil change and found engine oil all over the bell housing back to end of gearbox. Dealer could not find leak even with dye and light. Has anyone had a similar oil leak problem?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Prolly leaking from the oil filter under load, filter may be loose or overtightened, or maybe the contact isnt correct, have had similar problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leak just started, noticed oil burning smell and a few oil spots on the driveway in the last few days. The filter and oil was changed today and after driving maybe 15 miles I still had a faint smell (could be some oil spilled when changed) and after parking for a while a new driveway oil spot.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
It'll take a bit for the smell of oil to go away after the oil change. I'd almost bet the filter wasnt tight, or you have a leak that isnt engine oil. I recently rebuilt a 5.0 in a Ford, put a handfull of new gaskets on it to fix some oil leaks only to find the leak was actualy trans fluid after the fact. (It had oil leaks that were oil leaks, but the majority of the fluid I noticed after fixing the problem wasnt even engine oil.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
NuGoat said:
The goat is bleeding!

Has anyone had a similar oil leak problem?
Tonight I did the first oil change at 5,200 miles (Red Line 5W30). When I jacked the car up and got under there there was oil on the leading edge of the transmission pan on back. In the attached photos you can see in the middle of the pan I wiped some off with my finger. There is also a photo of the sump and filter (with the skid plate removed). There was no oil around the oil filter. The filter was not the source of the leak.

I cleaned everything up and will keep an eye on it. If it continues to leak (and I'm sure it will, leaks don't cure themselves) I'll take it to the dealer. I just had it there this Monday with a mirad of problems that turned out to be a broken battery (but that's a different story).

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
5,200 miles!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I've changed mine 4 times already!!!

FYI, the PCV valve is located on the back of the intake so if some oil got through there and out, it could've leaked down. A possible rear main seal, or lastly a loose oil filter.

But if it were a loose oil filter, you'd see oil leaking over the filter and filter housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
5,200 miles!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I've changed mine 4 times already!!!
5,200 miles longer than I would have planned for the first oil change but with three hurricanes here in central FL and the need to get my 2 other cars ready for 2 different major events it just didn't get done! The miles piled up since this is my daily driver. Now that I have the Red Line in it I'll maintain a oil/filter change schedule of 6K miles. That's what I did with my SLP Camaro SS with the Mobil 1 it was delivered with. I have no doubt that after 100K+ miles the LT1 would have done another 100K miles easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts