LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Professional Type 1 Diabetic
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How To Install Oil Pressure and Trans Temp Gauges?

Anyone have instructions on how to hook these up on a GTO?
www.PFYC.com does not have GTO specific instructions. I have installed both of these on my GTP and wonder if it is the same.
Oil Pressure gauge required a sending unit to be installed underneath and the Trans Temp gauge simply hard a wire bolted under the hood somewhere.

And what would be easier, mechanical or electrical?

Don't know if this is the same for the Gaot, or even where to look for an Oil Pressure sending unit plug in spot.

If anyone has install notes for other popular gauges please post it here so we can all benefit. Once the PFYC pod comes out I think we are going to hear a lot more questions on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

·
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like there is not an 'easy' way to hook up the oil pressure gauge on an 05 (unless you pay $500 for the manaro thing).
I am not going to spend $200 for a gauge that gives me more readings that I need.

I just wanted something that looked neat/cool and showed some good info for a good price. The PFYC pod and a couple of $50 gauges would sound good for a toal of $200 or so and some manual labor to get them to work.
Like I mentioned, hooking them up to the GTP was easy, no thread on here points to an easy way to get it to work.

Looks like I'll be the minority still, one of the few WITHOUT the PFYC gauge pod!

·
WILDMAN805
692 Posts
Dont feel bad. It seems many people are looking for good gague pods and are not getting what they want. Join the club! I am am still on the fence when it comes to gauges. I need to get a boost gauge soon so probably will go Autometer with a good snap fit pod. Dont see them out yet though. Anybody have some more input put it on here. Looks Like msfyter made your job easier ;0)

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
MacDogg said:
Anyone have instructions on how to hook these up on a GTO?
www.PFYC.com does not have GTO specific instructions. I have installed both of these on my GTP and wonder if it is the same.
Oil Pressure gauge required a sending unit to be installed underneath and the Trans Temp gauge simply hard a wire bolted under the hood somewhere.

And what would be easier, mechanical or electrical?

Don't know if this is the same for the Gaot, or even where to look for an Oil Pressure sending unit plug in spot.

If anyone has install notes for other popular gauges please post it here so we can all benefit. Once the PFYC pod comes out I think we are going to hear a lot more questions on this subject.

Thanks in advance.
The port is right above the oil filter, if I remember right. It is a blanked cover though and not a "port" persay.

For the oil pressure there is a blank plate that has to be removed and drilled/tapped for the sender. If you don't want to damage the stock plate you can get a replacment port cover from a dealer for like $7, then drill and tap that or get the pre-drilled and tapped port cover from HSV and pay $85 :eek2:

I think option one is better. I think Dede was the one that first did it. He has a thread with the P/N# of the part (if you don't want to drill the stock one) and the size of the drill and tap needed.

·
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, was this close [--] to pulling the trigger on the PFYC gauge pod and dual AeroForce gauges...then found out those don;t work in the 05.

Not sure if I want to dik around with wiring for oil and trans temp gauges...
Guess I will hold on to my $500 that I really don't have.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
MacDogg said:
Damn, was this close [--] to pulling the trigger on the PFYC gauge pod and dual AeroForce gauges...then found out those don;t work in the 05.

Not sure if I want to dik around with wiring for oil and trans temp gauges...
Guess I will hold on to my $500 that I really don't have.

Yes the aeroforce gauges don't work on a Can bus vehicle, like the LS2 powered cars....yet, they are working on that version though. Although it was suposse to be done by now...maybe they ran into a problem in the code.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Bump, anyone care to give any insight on putting oil pressure and oil temp on the same engine, I have one of the blank plates sitting in front of me. Any Ideas?

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Ive done a lot of hard thinking about the oil temp and pressure issue and there is a simple solution. First, the part thats on top of the oil filter will be used for the temp sensor. NO biggie there. So where doyou get the oil pressure? Same place the computer (dont know which one) gets its pressure. What Im about to tell you next is for the LS1. However Im a very strong believer that its in the same place with the LS2. The pressure sensor is located on the back side of the manifold. It connected to the top of the block. The typical sensor that comes with the oil pressure guage will fit back there. You need an adaptor. Its Autometer part # 2277, 1/8" NPT inside of M12 x 1.5; bought it at Summit ~$10. Also you dont have to worry about reconnecting the OEM sensor because it doesnt really effect the car at all. This is the way Im going when I get my new guages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts