LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the groups help. I have an 06 with a full built motor, was done a few years ago motors has maybe 30k on it. Car has always run great not issue other then the standard leaks with the APS kit. I finally got around to replacing the oil return lines with some nice nylon braided an lines. Now out of nowhere I'm getting oil pressure warning after driving for 10-20 min. I have done the following.
1- replaced the oil sensor are the oil filter.
2- tested oil pressure with the Torque app and manual gauge, both read the same. Check both the stock location and the at the oil filter.
Car stars at about 35psi but slowly crawls down after a while before hitting the fault levels. What could the issue be??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what type of return lines did you have on there before? do you run an oil restrictor?

type of oil pump?
Stock LSX oil pump with the external APS salvage pump
Oil lines were just normal nylon braid rubber lines, the replacement line are same size.
No restrictors that Ive seen. the old lines were basic rubber hoses on barbed adaptors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I normally just check look at the oil but havent done that. I honestly put less then 500 miles a year on the car. I drive it the store every now and then. I fix up stuff here and there in my free time when it exist.
the issue happened on the very first drive after doing the lines. Never been an issue before

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts
it could be coincidence and it is something else, or you could have changed the restriction in the system. i wouldn't think return lines would really affect oil pressure, though, as the restriction should be the bearings in the turbo, but i just thought i'd throw it out there.

lot of folks (not specifically GTO or LS guys) have to run a restrictor in the turbo oil feed to maintain overall system pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it could be coincidence and it is something else, or you could have changed the restriction in the system. i wouldn't think return lines would really affect oil pressure, though, as the restriction should be the bearings in the turbo, but i just thought i'd throw it out there.

lot of folks (not specifically GTO or LS guys) have to run a restrictor in the turbo oil feed to maintain overall system pressure.
That what I remember that the restrictors were in the feed lines not return. Next chance I get i will drain it and cut the filter.

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts
what was the oil pressure reading before you did the work at idle on startup? what weight oil do you run? stock oil pump? have you checked the oil for aeration?

·
Registered
359 Posts

Restrictors are for the turbo bearings not really to keep engine pressure up. Not needed for journal bearing turbos, only ball bearing last i knew

·
Registered
146 Posts
If there's no bearing wear, and the pressure is low right out of the pump (those ports on a sandwich plate), then id suspect that the pump is having issues, or the oil is getting really thin and hot. That's all i can think of. Pump could be sucking air, or the bypass valve could be sticky, etc.

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts
If there's no bearing wear, and the pressure is low right out of the pump (those ports on a sandwich plate), then id suspect that the pump is having issues, or the oil is getting really thin and hot. That's all i can think of. Pump could be sucking air, or the bypass valve could be sticky, etc.
i thought of temperature, but it still seems like he should be getting some oil pressure regardless as long as he has oil volume, and the oil pressure relief in the pump is working properly. low pressure usually means low restriction. if he has enough volume, there should be restriction unless he has a large amount of bearing slop.

i thought about the pressure relief, too. doesn't make sense to me that it would start out with pressure and then drop gradually to zero, though. Perhaps something is blocking it from closing completely? allowing a leak to form which gets worse as the oil warms up? sounds like a stretch.

OP still hasn't answered me about what oil pump he has. If he has an aftermarket, or even replaced with a new OEM, it should be inspected and cleaned before installed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts