LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any kind of break-in addictive in the oil from the factory? The reason I ask is I recently traded my 05 for an 06 and it's just a weekend/fair weather car and gets stored in the winter. I don't want the oil from the factory sitting in it all winter, which means if there is some kind of addictive in it I need to put some miles on the car before storing it so I can change the oil. So essentially, do I have to put some miles on the car to perform the first oil change or is it ok to change it with exteremely low miles (figure under 500)?

·
Administrator
9,536 Posts
Ace said:
Is there any kind of break-in addictive in the oil from the factory?
Yes, you will find the car is very addictive. The more you drive it the more you want to keep driving it. ;)

Now, as for oil ADDITIVES, not AFAIK. The factory fill is Mobil 1 synthetic but otherwise nothing special. You can do the first oil change at a normal interval, and if it has very low mileage on it now it should be fine for a few months. If possible try to drive it once in a while as the weather permits, that is always preferable to letting it sit unused.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ace said:
Is there any kind of break-in addictive in the oil from the factory? QUOTE]

Yes, there is. Do a google search on "GM engine oil supplement EOS", GM EOS part# 1052367. A knowledgeable friend of mine suggested using this after the first oil change. A factory new engine would have been prelubed with this during assembly. It is the only GM recommended oil supplement. You will find GM Goodwrench's standard procedure is to prelube certain engine components during a new and remanufactured engine installations with this GM EOS.

I have an 06 from new and am changing my first oil change early and using this GM EOS. It should cost $15 at your dealer. I was told you really just need this supplement for the break-in period. I know the owner's manual claims break-in is about 500 miles. The with the hardened piston rings GM has been using these days the break-in period can last much longer for the rings to seated properly. I am not going to use any oil supplements for the 2nd oil change and beyond.

This is just my opinion on engine oil supplements for GM engines.

http://www.lowcostengines.com/installation.htm

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/gwinst.html

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well there's two opposing responses; anyone else?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i was told there was NO additives in the car and from the factory it utilizes mobil1 5w30 synthetic.

·
Administrator
9,536 Posts
The info and links in post #3 apply specifically to replacement crate motors being installed at dealers and being filled with oil and run for the first time.
The same does not apply to new cars from the factory which have already had their engines run and, in the case of the 05/06 GTO are factory filled with M1 syn.
That said, an extremely early oil change isn't going to hurt anything but your wallet.

·
Crankcase Oil Formulator
553 Posts
GM does not recommend using the EOS as an oil additive.
On Line Ref:http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004718#000009
The higher concentration of ZDDP in the oil will increase the Phosphorous content and MAY lead to shorter catalytic converter life. I will tell you that formulating engine oils is an amazing balance between many specific additives. Everything is balanced because every component is like a double edged sword too much of ANYTHING can be bad. There is a ton of cost, research and engineering, and testing done by the oil industry to ensure the quality of the oils that are API Licensed. The Major brand Synthetics are all excellent oils and you should not add ANY aftermarket oil additives. They can easily upset the balance of additives in the oil and at a minimum impeded the oil's performance, at worst cause harm to your engine. Leave the formulating to us, just pick the Synthetic that meets your needs API SM/ILSAC GF-4 & GM4718M (2005-2006). The rest is just marketing so pick your favorite!

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Dude..you're fine. If its that new, It'll be fine over the winter. I mean think about it.....from the time it was built till the time it got to the states and eventually to a dealer....dont you think its sat quite a long time without being driven....possibly months? It'll be fine. My oil gets changed every 3,000 miles....whether it takes a month or 6 months to accumulate those miles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts