LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing my filter at 500 miles and adding whatever oil it needs with just plain old 5w30 Castrol GTX, probably 1/2 quart. At 1000 I plan on changing to Mobil 1 and changing the oil filter of course. I then plan on changing the oil filter every 2500 miles and the oil every 5000 miles. I have plans on for this sweet little LS1 at 36,000 miles and I want it healthy.

I was wondering if there were any concerns changing to synthetic at 1000 miles. It should be run in by then shouldn't it?

GranTurismoOmologato

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I did a complete change to Mobil 1 at 200 miles. Both my Vettes came with it from the factory, I dont see why its a problem on this motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GranTurismoOmologato said:
I plan on changing my filter at 500 miles and adding whatever oil it needs with just plain old 5w30 Castrol GTX, probably 1/2 quart. At 1000 I plan on changing to Mobil 1 and changing the oil filter of course. I then plan on changing the oil filter every 2500 miles and the oil every 5000 miles. I have plans on for this sweet little LS1 at 36,000 miles and I want it healthy.

I was wondering if there were any concerns changing to synthetic at 1000 miles. It should be run in by then shouldn't it?

GranTurismoOmologato

I would change the filter a little less often and the oil more unless it is synthetic. Everybody has their own methods and plans and swear by them.
Just don't get lazy and start stretching those changes to 8 or 10K!

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
I just did my oil and filter at 2300 miles. I gave it a nice break in period with some highway miles, then beat on it against my brother's T/A the other day, so I figure it was just about the right time for a change. I went with Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You'll get as many answers as there are members.

I went to Mobil 1 at 800 miles and change the filter @3k and the oil @6k.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oil and filter get changed every 3K. Oil...Mobil 1 Filter...Purolator or AC, never Fram. I put 140,000 miles on a Buick Turbo and 114,000 on a Firebird Formula using this schedule and never had an oil related problem or burned a drop of oil. Furthermore, Mobil 1 was in the crankcase of both the Regal and Firebird at the first oil change after break-in.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
mlc said:
You'll get as many answers as there are members.

I went to Mobil 1 at 800 miles and change the filter @3k and the oil @6k.
Yup. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mlc and CMNTMXR57 you are both changing filter at 3k oil at 6k? How is the oil looking/feeling/smelling at 6k?

I guess I could just look at it from the dipstick at 5k and 6k myself and see, but that will be a while and I'm curious.

Thanks for the feedback all.

And yes I was aware that everyone will have an opinion on this.

GranTurismoOmologato

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
2,000 - 2,500 for me.

I changed it at;

3,000 (I will do that when I get back from Iowa this weekend)

Either next oil change (5,000) or the one after that (7,000) I'll give it Mobil 1

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The oil looks and smells fine but what can you really say with out doing a test. I know there's a thread here about oil being tested and after read a lot of stuff I decided on those time intervals.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Oil Analysis

www.titanlabs.com

You buy kits, then send off your sample to them. About a week later you get the results (unless you specify fax back results).

·
Born Again Goat
1,555 Posts
Just dropped this in another thread, but seems appropriate here too...

I know this thread has died off but if anyone is interested, I found a couple of very informative articles while researching which oil to use long term.

Oil Brand Facts

Longterm Analysis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts