LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
been beat by a Nana lately?
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind? Where'd you get 'em? And how much did they cost? LOL

I need to get some. I have AZA Z1 rims and ARP studs on the rear, which are longer than stock. So I guess I'm gonna have to have open-ended lugnuts. Right? I've looked at the auto parts places, but I have no idea what size to get.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
I got them on all the lugs, they were a kit from Discount Tire that I think was like 20 bucks and came with a tool so you can get all of them off.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
locking lugs are worthless and trendy now

several things will happen

1) theif steals the wheels , with no locks , no real damage left to car

2) thief tries to steal wheels , and ends up screwing up the rims and makes the car undriveable

3) thief tows car away , then takes time to steal wheels

4) theif sticks gun to your head steals car

to me #1 seams the best way to go

plus if you ever loose the key and key code your screwed , key breaks at the wrong time , or lugs strip

ill take regular lugs any day of the week

plus i do not think they make open end locking nuts

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
First thing tuner lugs are worthless.

Every lugnut on my car is a locking one. 4 are the same and one is different, so I have 2 keys for all 20 lugs.
s/c'd cav said:
locking lugs are worthless and trendy now

several things will happen

1) theif steals the wheels , with no locks , no real damage left to car
plus if you ever loose the key and key code your screwed , key breaks at the wrong time , or lugs strip

ill take regular lugs any day of the week

plus i do not think they make open end locking nuts
:soapbox:
#1 = :bs: try, thief walks up your fiberglass hood to take out light above car, puts cinderblocks under side skirts (btw they wont hold the car, especially if they are fiberglass) they must not have read the jack points thread. drops the rear first, catching it on the ground, then drops the front on the curb infront of the car. Also since they put the cinderblocks under the side skirts front brakes are resting on the ground. So your 2.5k rims plus another 8k in body damage = :madsign3:

Buy a 2nd key, they provide you with codes incase you ever need to replace it.
For the original poster, get at least one set, and they do make them in open end. I just went to discount tire and they order you a kit.

·
been beat by a Nana lately?
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i'm gonna have to have a new set of lugnuts anyway. 10 of the stock ones were ruined using them to pull my new arp studs through the holes in the hub. the remaining 10 (aftermarket lugs on front wheels) are now being very difficult. we noticed it when putting in the new studs. yes, the studs are the right size, the stock lugnuts just do NOT like the studs. and now i'm afraid i've stripped yet another stud, changing my drag radials out this morning. i plan on ordering a set of stock lugnuts anyway, but thought i'd check into locking lugs while i'm at it. my car's already been broke into once at work (not a real nice part of town) and i'm just waiting for them to come back and take my wheels.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
05goatindy , yeah that does happen from some idiot thieves(granted all are)

kinda sounds like your speaking from experence , not a good thing

the worste thing is if a thief wants something bad enough they will get it at all costs , for me the least i put my life on the line the better , but if im in that posistion , they better kill me on the first shot , if not they are gonna have to deal with a supper pissed of SPAZOID , lol

i forgot about the GM's cause they use that little plastic cover , lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought a set of Gorilla locks, from Summit Racing. Great service. Part number 71633N, 12mm X 1.50 acorn.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jontall said:
Those are nice; cheaper too. Does the factory lug wrench fit the key?
I had to go into the garage and try it - I never use the factory wrench; I use a star wrench. No, the factory lug wrench does not fit the key.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
GTO=VERY_BIG_SEG!!! said:
I had to go into the garage and try it - I never use the factory wrench; I use a star wrench. No, the factory lug wrench does not fit the key.
I was told the factory lug wrench didn't fit the Gorilla lugs, but never knew anyone with them. Thanks a lot...

·
Ignoring the Speed Limit
1,436 Posts
Mine are splined.

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,018,235 Posts
Which locking lugnuts do people use on the factory 18s?

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
I use some that have teeth on the outside & a thick-walled key. Mine are built by Excalibur. They are for wheels with a lot of room. Some GTO owners have wheels with small lug nut holes. That's where tuner style lugs come in. These are what I recommend:http://www.excaliburwheel.com/locks.html
I noticed that they list a long version of our thread of lug nut.

One place to buy them from is:http://www.starwheel.com/accessories.html

Don't forget to make sure that you specify the 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch. Possibly use the first link to find the correct part #.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts