LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly as the thread subject reads. I really don't care about the mounting ring in the front doors, how much extra mounting depth is there if you trim the mounting bracket? And what is total depth? All my favorite midbass speakers are a little over 3" so this is very important if someone knows PLEASE let me know what the max mounting depth is!!!!! :hail:

·
Registered
9 Posts
nomostang said:
Exactly as the thread subject reads. I really don't care about the mounting ring in the front doors, how much extra mounting depth is there if you trim the mounting bracket? And what is total depth? All my favorite midbass speakers are a little over 3" so this is very important if someone knows PLEASE let me know what the max mounting depth is!!!!! :hail:
I didn't measure mine, but the bass units in my CDT CL-62's almost touch the window. I was scared... :burnout:

You might check the CDT website and see what they list as the speaker depth.

Andy

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mcneil141 said:
I didn't measure mine, but the bass units in my CDT CL-62's almost touch the window. I was scared... :burnout:

You might check the CDT website and see what they list as the speaker depth.

Andy
So how close were they? like .25 inch away from the glass? Or even less than that?

·
2010 Camaro SS Owner
408 Posts
alpine mount depth

nomostang said:
So how close were they? like .25 inch away from the glass? Or even less than that?
I had no problems (except for cutting away the back of the plastic) to mount Alpine SPR-17LP's. 2-3/4" mounting depth I believe. By the way, they sound pretty damn good with an amp hooked to them using the factory HU.

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do you guys think 3.25" would be too deep? ANd how much depth is there in the back?

I want to use the same mids for the front and back so all of them are 3.25" deep.

Anyone know if that will work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
nomostang said:
nomo... just guessing here... I don't think your speakers will fit. But, you could make a spacer for the mounting flange of the speaker. In my car, there is room between the speaker and speaker grill.

Andy

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn :( Guess i'll just have to pick up some boston pros instead

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did a search and found that straegen installed some Adire Kodas in his front doors and beileve those are 3.1" deep! Thats pretty damn close to what my mounting depth is :)

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
I have a set of the Infinity Perfects in my front doors. No scratched glass so far.

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ross said:
I have a set of the Infinity Perfects in my front doors. No scratched glass so far.
Yeah but those aren't like 3" deep are they? There are VERY few mids that are over 3" deep. Most are 2"-2.7"

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
nomostang said:
Yeah but those aren't like 3" deep are they? There are VERY few mids that are over 3" deep. Most are 2"-2.7"
In your first post you asked about the max depth for a set of mids :huh:

The depth without the ring is aprox 2.5". With a home made MDF ring you can probably get near 4" of depth.

If you plan to put a set of mids in there, why are you worried about getting more than 3" anyway?

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
nomostang said:

2 3/4" deep

·
2005 GTO owner
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ross said:
In your first post you asked about the max depth for a set of mids :huh:

The depth without the ring is aprox 2.5". With a home made MDF ring you can probably get near 4" of depth.

If you plan to put a set of mids in there, why are you worried about getting more than 3" anyway?
what? I AM talking about mids: Midbass drivers, midrange/midbass, 6.5"-7" drivers that play from 80hz- ~2500hz i'm not sure what you thought i meant?

Anyway where did you get 2.75"? I'm almost positive that its 3.1" or a little over that.

So you are saying if i just mounted the mids to the metal door panel i would have 2.5" or are you saying mounted on the stock plastic mounts i would have
2.5"?

As for the mdf ring i heard someone said they made a 3/4" mdf ring and it was hitting the door panel since the stock mount was angled.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
nomostang said:
what? I AM talking about mids: Midbass drivers, midrange/midbass, 6.5"-7" drivers that play from 80hz- ~2500hz i'm not sure what you thought i meant?

Anyway where did you get 2.75"? I'm almost positive that its 3.1" or a little over that.

So you are saying if i just mounted the mids to the metal door panel i would have 2.5" or are you saying mounted on the stock plastic mounts i would have
2.5"?

As for the mdf ring i heard someone said they made a 3/4" mdf ring and it was hitting the door panel since the stock mount was angled.
Dude, you have totally lost me with what you are trying to ask.

Without the mounting rings the depth appeared to be 2.75", which is also the same depth as the Infinity's I mounted. The ring is holding those same speakers with only minimal trimming of plastic. The ring's thickness was about .5" to just over 1" thick and set in the door in such a way so as to point the speaker toward the point between the passanger and driver.

FYI - it's really not that difficult or time consuming to remove and replace the panel and speaker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts