LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cruising to a party last night, My buddy tells me that there is a bullit mustang up ahead. I get all giddy! There is a light coming up, im hoping it turns red, it does. Im looking over at him, can't see him though, windows are very dark tinted. The light turns green and we both kind of baby it off the line...once we get on the other side of the intersection, we punch it. I pulled on him from the get go. By 4th, he was 2-3 car lengths behind. I pretty sure it wasn't all stock, he had some mean sounding exhaust on it. We get to the next light and he has his window rolled down. Him and his buddy are smiling and say "Nice car!, haven't seen a GTO yet" he shouts. I give him the thumbs up and turn off. All in all. a nice kill, and a nice mustang driver (very rare) :)

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
The only problem I have with this thread is that you were not " Minding your own Business" :secret: Still, Nice kill.

·
ooooh wee, I love this car
151 Posts
nothin wrong with search and destroy.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Nicely done, and give Mustang drivers some credit. So far, I haven't met one who wasn't friendly.

Chances are your Mustang was a 4.6L. I have come across a couple of "modded" 4.6L Mustangs and still had no trouble with them at all. I know some Ford fans who think the 4.6L is a real P.O.S.

But it's STILL fun to come across that Mustang owner who hasn't seen a GTO yet and then show him a good view of the rear quarters. :D

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
For the record, NO FLAME intended....

FLORIT said:
Chances are your Mustang was a 4.6L.
Yeah, pretty good chance considering the 4.6 is the only V8 engine that has been installed in Mustangs for the last 9 years...

...lone exception would be the 300 2000 Cobra R's made which had 5.4 liter/385hp engines.
(You probably have a better chance at seeing Bush french-kissing Bin Laden than you do running into an '00 Cobra R on the street... :gr_jest: )

FLORIT said:
I have come across a couple of "modded" 4.6L Mustangs and still had no trouble with them at all.
Lucky you!
Would you like to run my "modded" 4.6L Mustang for laughs???

FLORIT said:
I know some Ford fans who think the 4.6L is a real P.O.S.
These "Ford fans" you speak of must be referring to only the 220 hp '96 - '98 4.6 2V's. They certainly lack power compared to the '99+ 4.6 2V's (which have 260 hp/300+ torque), and are not even close to the newer 4.6 4V's which produce 320 hp (or more in the case of the '03/'04 Mach 1 4.6 4V's... ;) )

Of course, every serious car enthusiast knows that the '03/'04 Cobras also have 4.6 liters of displacement, and they out-gun even the mighty LS2 in both power AND torque. :D

But I'm sure you already knew all this... :wall:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
LOL, Angus, no offense intended, honest. As we all know, there are certainly exceptions in every case. Impressive numbers on your sig, and I salute you, but please, no need to get defensive. :D

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
FLORIT said:
no need to get defensive. :D
No defensive posture implied - just clearing-up some facts. :cool:
Pretty sure you'll be tempted to do the same after the '05 & later GTO's come out,
and someone tells you "All ('04+) GTO's run mid-high 13's"... ;)

It's all good... :thumbs:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
FLORIT said:
Nicely done, and give Mustang drivers some credit. So far, I haven't met one who wasn't friendly.
I agree. I've found most car people are pretty nice, regardless of brand preference. It's the vocal minority that gets attention disproportionate to their numbers. Frankly, I am a little baffled by all the pride and ego associated with people's choice of cars. I mean, all I did was buy one. That's the easy part. I can't claim credit / blame for designing the damn thing.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
mistermike said:
I agree. I've found most car people are pretty nice, regardless of brand preference. It's the vocal minority that gets attention disproportionate to their numbers. Frankly, I am a little baffled by all the pride and ego associated with people's choice of cars. I mean, all I did was buy one. That's the easy part. I can't claim credit / blame for designing the damn thing.

Good words. That's also the way I try to look at things.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Good kill. GT stangs and Bullits for that matter aren't the big dogs of the street but thats cool they ran you. Always nice to have somebody give it a go every once in awhile, even if it's not gonna be that close.

I also agree most car people are really nice regardless of what team they support.

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course, every serious car enthusiast knows that the '03/'04 Cobras also have 4.6 liters of displacement, and they out-gun even the mighty LS2 in both power AND torque.
Correct me if Im wrong, and no flame intended at all. The 03-04 cobras out-gun the LS1 in horsepower and torque.(because of a blower) but not the LS6 or the upcoming LS2. Am I right, or no? That, and every ford engine I have seen make impressive power, has been blown. The most the dohc motor ever put out without forced induction was what..320hp? (im talking straight from the factory)

I played with a new cobra in the T/A a few weeks ago. I was impressed with him. He kept up pretty good. He told me all he had was a pulley for the blower and full exhaust. The thing sounded niiiiiiiiiiice. I tried to play with another new cobra on the highway while cruising in the goat, I knew he would walk away from me, I just wanted to see him go. He was too busy talking to his girlfriend. :rolleyes: That and I later noticed that officer friendly was creeping a few cars behind... :secret:

·
High Tech Redneck
328 Posts
Cobras have an underated 390hp at the flywheel. I think most see mid 300s rwhp. Not sure about the tq. Sorry, had an 03 GT before my current truck, will have an 05 GTO in a few months.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
Mikeyboy said:
Correct me if Im wrong, and no flame intended at all. The 03-04 cobras out-gun the LS1 in horsepower and torque.(because of a blower) but not the LS6 or the upcoming LS2. Am I right, or no?
I've seen a few of the LS2 dynos floating around, and they don't have more torque or hp.

Mikeyboy said:
That, and every ford engine I have seen make impressive power, has been blown. The most the dohc motor ever put out without forced induction was what..320hp? (im talking straight from the factory)
The '00 Cobra R 5.4 liter engine made a (very conservative) 385 crank hp stock.
The dyno's I've seen of them point to ~ 425 crank hp though... :hail:

My (stock) Mach dynoed 282 rwhp, which is ~ 332 crank hp.
I know of several other (stock) Mach's that have dynoed a little over 290 rwhp,
which equates to about 341 crank hp.

Not too shabby for only 281 cubic inches... :cool:

kbaba said:
Oh no, ANgUS is back!!!
What makes you think I went anywhere??? :wall:
05GTO said:
Cobras have an underated 390hp at the flywheel. I think most see mid 300s rwhp.
Actually, most stock '03/'04 Cobras see 360+ rwhp. 370 - 380 rwhp is not at all uncommon... :eek2:
(Which is about 435 - 447 crank hp!)

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Angus said:
I've seen a few of the LS2 dynos floating around, and they don't have more torque or hp.

The '00 Cobra R 5.4 liter engine made a (very conservative) 385 crank hp stock.
The dyno's I've seen of them point to ~ 425 crank hp though... :hail:

My (stock) Mach dynoed 282 rwhp, which is ~ 332 crank hp.
I know of several other (stock) Mach's that have dynoed a little over 290 rwhp,
which equates to about 341 crank hp.

Not too shabby for only 281 cubic inches... :cool:

Word. A lot of you guys seem to forget that Ford gives up over a liter of displacement to the LS1, LS6, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts