LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
165 MPH club
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTO vs Stone wall

Stone wall won. My GTO is totaled and I barely survived.
I was driving home sat morning and a fallen limb was blocking veiw of a stop sign, as soon as I saw the the sign I hit the brakes but found myself embeded in a stone wall. I fractured two vertebrae and shattered most of the bones in my face on the steering wheel (the airbags did not go off). I am in a body brace for the next 10 weeks and need to wait at least a week to have my face fixed. I am glad to be alive but the GTO is destroyed and I do not know if I could drive one again due to the airbags not functioning.

Anyway this forum has been great and the people I have met in this community are some of the nicest people I know. I will still be checking in and hopefully making it to a couple more meets. Just thought that I would say goodbye as I will not be around much.

-Adam

·
Pure Power
485 Posts
Wicked Vision said:
GTO vs Stone wall

Stone wall won. My GTO is totaled and I barely survived.
I was driving home sat morning and a fallen limb was blocking veiw of a stop sign, as soon as I saw the the sign I hit the brakes but found myself embeded in a stone wall. I fractured two vertebrae and shattered most of the bones in my face on the steering wheel (the airbags did not go off). I am in a body brace for the next 10 weeks and need to wait at least a week to have my face fixed. I am glad to be alive but the GTO is destroyed and I do not know if I could drive one again due to the airbags not functioning.

Anyway this forum has been great and the people I have met in this community are some of the nicest people I know. I will still be checking in and hopefully making it to a couple more meets. Just thought that I would say goodbye as I will not be around much.

-Adam

Damn man. Sorry to hear that. Hope your injuries heal quickly. At least you're alive.

·
Registered
293 Posts
DAMN...that is horrible news man. Geez. Im really sorry to hear this. Thank goodness things didn't turn out worse. Good luck with your recovery man. I hope that your health and well being is back to 100% soon. Peace.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Hope you feel better sooner than you expect.

·
1,552 Posts
I'm glad to hear you will be ok! I'm sorry you lost your car to a stone wall. I hope they figure out why your air bag did'nt deploy. If they do... let us know... Good luck brother!

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Wow! That is terrible. I hope you a speedy recovery. I am glad to hear that you are still with us. The car may be one of so many. But, you are one of one. Please do not think of this air bag thing to be of Ponticas fault without having the car looked at. If your front tires where doing less than 5mph, they will not go off. There are so mant y factors in airbag deployment.

Anyways, please, get well soon. You do not need to own a GTO to continue to be one of us, or talk with us.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Dude, from one Cosmos owner to another, sorry to hear of your injuries, and your loss. I hope the healing process goes well and rapidly for you.

Take particular note of your recovery. If anything bothers you, feel free to contact the docs/nurses and ask questions.

Bottom line: I screwed up my neck in a rollover accident while on vacation in Florida (was passing a semi on the Turnpike at 2 p.m. on a weekday, he fell asleep and veered into my lane, I lost control trying to avoid him (no left shoulder) and crashed/flipped the car 6 times). I walked away from the accident, but my neck bothered me off and on for a long time and I never did anything about it. Fourteen years later, I've got major big-time neck problems now (have to sleep in a cervical collar each night) and am probably developing arthritis in it...

·
Challenge this.
1,539 Posts
Geez. If you don't mind me asking, which vertebrae did you fracture? Did your cord sustain any injuries from the trauma? Many prayers will go out to you for a full recovery my friend. Try to be positive and work hard at getting healthy again.

·
RIP Jack of Hearts & Tootsie
7,563 Posts
I am glad you're alive. This is terrible news of course but the main thing you're still around to talk about it. Good luck in the future and good luck with your reconstruction and rehabilitation.

·
165 MPH club
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support.

The damaged vertebrae were L1 and L2, The cord was not damaged although it did come very close.

I do not know why the airbags did not deploy. I was traveling somwhere between 30 and 45mph and my seatbelt was on. I do not beleive that the seat belt locked on impact because of my face getting closely aquanted with the steering wheel (in about a week I will bee getting my face repaired with ?metal plates and screws?, a per what I was told ).

·
BlubBlubBlubBlubBlub
325 Posts
Good God.... Feel better and hope you make a full recovery. Did this happen in CT, Stamford?

At least you are getting better and not finished after a ride like that!!!!!! WTF is with the airbags?????!!!!! A 30-45MPH hit and nothing!!!???

The bags could have saved your face certainly and perhaps the vertabrae damage! I mean come on what is the deal here... where did they crash test the GTO?

Disturbing
OUT

·
165 MPH club
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did happen in Stamford. I was told that the monaro's airbags were set to trigger at a higher speed than the GTO. There are no records of any crash testing of the gto in the US by any testing bodys.
I do plan on bringing the accident to GMs attention but do not plan on any sort of lawsuit, I am just glad to be alive.

·
165 MPH club
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way I have a similar thread in the lounge where I thought I would share with members who were not from my area. I have been a part of this forum for a long time and felt that I provided alot af support to others. Unfortunately the thread in the lounge managed to bring out quite a few A holes who not only call BS on me being a GTO owner but even go so far as to accuse me of making up my injuries. I have met alot of you at last years lobster and steak meet. any way here is a link to the other threadhttp://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104235
And thanks again everyone

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
That sucks that people have to blame you before knowing all of the facts. I hope you make a quick recovery.

·
Challenge this.
1,539 Posts
Wicked Vision said:
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support.

The damaged vertebrae were L1 and L2, The cord was not damaged although it did come very close.

I do not know why the airbags did not deploy. I was traveling somwhere between 30 and 45mph and my seatbelt was on. I do not beleive that the seat belt locked on impact because of my face getting closely aquanted with the steering wheel (in about a week I will bee getting my face repaired with ?metal plates and screws?, a per what I was told ).
Are they going to fuse your lumbar spine? The spinal cord ends around L2. I feared that you fx'd cervical vertebrae. Although it sucks to have a bad back the rest of your life (like me) but it's better to be able to have mobility. One piece of advice... Make the most of your physical therapy. Attack it and be positive. You'll be back on your feet sooner than you think. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts