LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 and the PF46 filter and had my dealership do the oil change for me. I told the guy it should take 6.5 quarts and he told me that it only takes 6. I ignored it and then last night I checked the oil after it had been sitting still for about 30 minutes and it shows full. He only put 6 quarts in because I had one quart left from the 7 I bought.

Is that not normal?

·
Registered
429 Posts
No it's not normal. You are right it takes 6.5, and the technician (and I use that term very loosly in this case) only put in 6 quarts. I would go back and ask to speak to the service manager. Don't feel bad though, I had my oil changed at the dealer and they put in 7 quarts. If you want it done right , I guess you have to do it yourself.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's normal for my car...

Lots of people on here have said that 6 fills it. I believe it's because there's some old oil not draining. Either way, the dipstick should tell the real story.

Edit: This past weekend I put ~6.25 qt and it's slighty over full. I changed it on jackstands.

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
when you guys are draining the oil is the car level? the plug being where it is means that if you jack up the front end then try to drain the oil you will not be able to drain it all. i just change it without wheel ramps, sure its a tight fit but then the car is level.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I change mine on ramps on the driveway. The driveway is sloped such that the front end winds up being slightly elevated above level (I park it facing downhill). It takes 6 quarts this way.

Just for grins, I jacked up the rear end slightly once to see if more would drain out. Sure enough, it took 6.5.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I do it in my dad's shop on a level lift. Car takes 6.5 quarts. First oil change my mind was in the clouds and accidentally added all of the 7th, lol.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
hmm, mine takes 10.5

well that is when the accusump is empty and so is the oil cooler:pir_flag:

·
Registered
901 Posts
For the first year, my car took 6.25 quarts. Now it takes 5.75 (for the past 5 oil changes). I'm not doing anything different when changing the oil. I don't know why this is happening, but the car still runs great and shows no other problems with the engine. I took it to the dealer and they said it was fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my 2006 Service Manual two weeks ago from Helm. It says 6.55 quarts with oil filter, 6.02 quarts without oil filter. I just had my first oil change at the dealer. I gave them only 6 quarts of Mobil 1 (I brought my own oil) and checked the oil level on level surface right after I got it back. Needed exactly another 0.5 quart to make it full on the dipstick. I'd say GM is right on the money.

·
Clean is good...
2,470 Posts
On level ground without another drop dripping, mine is exactly 6 quarts with filter to the fill line on the stick. I'm wondering if there isn't a slight variation in how far the dip stick tube sits in the motor accounting for the differences in the 6 and 61/2 quarts we're seeing here.

Tom.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yowzerman said:
On level ground without another drop dripping, mine is exactly 6 quarts with filter to the fill line on the stick. I'm wondering if there isn't a slight variation in how far the dip stick tube sits in the motor accounting for the differences in the 6 and 61/2 quarts we're seeing here.

Tom.
I was thinking something like that as well, because with new filter mine
takes 6.5 quarts.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
a little over 5.5 fills mine....

·
What??? Next!!!
50 Posts
6 Quarts in my '06, & that's with a new FRAM3506 filter. I'm going to check the stick before I leave work tonite.:gears:

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
will going over .5 a quart hurt anything??

·
2 Goat family
435 Posts
Don't worry about going over a little bit. The owners manual even says it can take an extra quart for spirited or track driving. We have plenty of room before crank slap becomes an issue. With an oil and filter change, the vehicle should require 6.5 quarts of oil for sure. I do my change on jackstands, but I pick up the rear while it's draining to make sure that everything comes out.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Mine takes 6 quarts in the pan and a little in that tiny excuse for a filter for a "FULL" on the dipstick. This is measured when changing oil on our 4-post leveled lift.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
My 04 takes 6.5 qrts. I run the engine to warm up the oil then drain with the car up slightly on one jack stand-front left and then jack it down-let it sit-jack back up enough to get under to plug it back up and secure the skid plate.
rRe-fill takes 6.5 every time.

·
Reads Fine Print
147 Posts
Mine takes 6qts to make it to the full line as well when changed on level ground. ~2,200 miles since the 500mi change and still shows top of the operating area on the dipstick when left sitting overnight. ...I always carry an extra quart just in case.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
kinda sounds like it is a matter of having the car level

usually on any of my cars i angle the car so the drain plug is the lowest part when possible , that way i know i get all the oil out , also it usually takes me over a hour to change the oil , or tell the oil quits dripping from the drain hole

1 - 20 of 38 Posts