LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law helped me put together some new office furniture tonight, so I told him I'd buy him dinner. He said he was meeting up with some friends, and that I could come. He called one of them to tell them that he didn't need a ride anymore, because he was riding in the GTO. He told me that his friend drives an M3, and I immediately told him to call his friend back. I could just tell that my goat was hungry, and I figured if he was gonna eat, he may as well eat an M3.

So, we decided on a good location and drove out. Along the way, we happened upon an unexpected red light with no traffic behind or in front of us. So I looked over, revved it up to about 4k or so, and said, "You ready?", to which he replied, "Yes." Light turns green, and I kinda let the clutch slip a little, unintentionally leaving a bit too much rubber. Despite the bad launch (or so I thought), I had him off the line by about a half car length. My 1-2 shift was dead on, and that pretty much did this M3 in. By the time I shifted from 2-3, he was a good 2 car lengths behind me. I finished 3rd gear and shut her down. Ah, that felt good! Now we drive to the original agreed upon meeting spot.

We're at the light ready for out second run of the evening, and I look over to confirm the finish spot. The light turned green - I was totally caught off guard. I nailed it, but the clutch was already out by the time I hit the gas, and he got about a half car length on me out of the hole. First gear pulled hard, but not hard enough. It wasn't until I power shifted into 2nd that I evened things out and started to pull ahead. The 2nd to 3rd gear shift is what did in Mr. M3 for the second time though- 3rd gear pretty much tore this dude a new bum hole! I shifted into 4th and pulled real hard on him - I was out by atleast a car length, maybe 2. I shut her down before the finish line because there was a nasty wet patch on a mild turn, and I didn't want to push it. I already proved my point - twice!

Damn, I love this car!!!!!!!!!!! It feels so good knowing that a car that costs $25K-$30k more than ours can't hang. Was someone questioning the '04 vs. the '05 before with regard to value??? If I can line up to a performance oriented vehicle such as the M3 that costs $30K more than mine, and totally own him, I don't think there is any question about value!

Happy import eating fellow goat owners!

P.S. I am stock except for the Predator.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
The M3 bases at $45k. In case you're curious. SOO it's not *that* much more than our car. Granted, $45k is without leather, but leather's not a go-fast part.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Oh no, a BMW going down! That can't be true!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Saw a Yuppoid yacking on a cell phone in a red M3 convertable yesterday. Unfortunately I was in a 98 Chevy van. :mad:

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It may base at $45, but once you add all the options, and the rag top, like the victim last night, you're up around $55-$60k.

From Edmunds:
COMPACT CONVERTIBLE Trans. Engine Cyl. Price
2dr Convertible Manual 3.2L 6cyl TMV Price
Base Styles (MSRP: $57,295)

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/m3/index.html?tid=edmunds.n.advsearch.advsearch.1.1.*

*SOOOO* It is THAT much more expensive that ours.

AND, one thing I am really sick of on this board is haters. There is always someone calling BS, or trying to downplay someone else. If you're gonna do it, at least have a good agument please.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AND, if you are making a true comparison, you'd have to include the price of the leather because ours come with leather included in MSRP.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Yuppoid

mistermike said:
Saw a Yuppoid yacking on a cell phone in a red M3 convertable yesterday. Unfortunately I was in a 98 Chevy van. :mad:
Shoulda T-boned him...Oh wait!....No, that's for Ford's in PA. :sneaky:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Which generation M3? The previous model (pre-2000) or the new one (2000-up)?
If it was the previous generation, you will beat him every time, no matter what.
If its the new one, it should be an even race. It has 333hp but is also lighter than the GTO by over three hundred pounds. If it is the new one, crappy driver.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oops, didn't see that!

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flyinlow said:
Which generation M3? The previous model (pre-2000) or the new one (2000-up)?
If it was the previous generation, you will beat him every time, no matter what.
If its the new one, it should be an even race. It has 333hp but is also lighter than the GTO by over three hundred pounds. If it is the new one, crappy driver.
It was an '02. In BMW's defense, I don't think the driver did that car any justice. I agree that it should have theoretically been closer, but anything can happen on the street. I've yet to run at the track with any car, so I really don't know how good of a straight line driver I am. But, last night gave me some confidence, so I might hit up Moroso speedway for test'n'tune night tomorrow.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Old Goat said:
Hey!!! I resemble that remark... :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Old Goat said:
Yep. If I woulda had the Ford bucket truck, I coulda made a nice mess. About 8000 Lb GVW :sneaky:

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
GTOWILL said:
It was an '02. In BMW's defense, I don't think the driver did that car any justice.
I think you're right, but the GTO is still much better than the M3 out of the hole IMHO.

The area where the M3 really shines is up-top, probably at speeds over 80. Granted the LS1 is definitely not a slouch in that area, but if you did a rolling start of about 70 or so, it would be a much closer race with equal drivers. Even there I'd still give the advantage to the GTO, thanks to the few extra hp. How do weight figures compare between the two?

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
The newer style M3's claim 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec. I don't buy it unless a pro is driving. The 3.6L engine may provide 333 HP at 7900 or so RPM but it has no torque, max 262 Ft/Lbs at 4900 RPM.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Trying to get those numbers out of the M3 is a real clutch burner! In the magazines the drivers don't care about how long it will last because they have the car for a few days. Also, most (not all) M3 owners are yups that want a nice car and name recognition. Most GTO drivers are "car guys" that have experience with hot rodding, street racing, drag strip stuff, ect. When I teach SCCA road course classes most of the guys driving BMWs, Porsches, ect. are beginners/novices or will not even try to push the car to see the limits or extend their experience. The students in the older Vettes, TAs, Alfas, ect. are the hard chargers that want to learn and get more experience! Drivers are an important part your cars performance!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts