LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I'm looking for out of an exhaust system, so please give me some opinions on how you guys think it will work.

What I want: a little louder at idle with a deeper tone all around, can't be overly loud at cruising speeds (daily driver, have business associates in the car from time to time), equal or better flow than stock. I also plan on adding LT's within the next year or so, so factor that in as well.

Here is what I was thinking for a system: Remove resonator, replace with H-pipe. SAP mufflers to replace stock mufflers, stock tips. LT's with cats to follow a little later down the road.

What do you think?

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the sound of Magnaflows but it'll be quiet. I would replace the h-pipe with an x-pipe though and ditch the stock chrome tips and go with something stainless steel. Make sure you also replace the couple of spots the stock exhaust kinks up.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
+1 to what GT086 said,it will be quit but once you do headers and some kind of resonator replacement it will sound great!

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
magnaflow (SAP) sound good but they are not very loud even with headers.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
How bout this.........catted long tubes.....period. No extra drone, deeper sound. H-pipe will eliminate resonator.....yes the tone will change but I fear you will gain some interior sound. X-pipe will make it raspier, not deeper. My suggestion stands. Try the catted LT's first and see what you think. The stock exhaust is 2.5" and flows plenty for even heavily modded engines.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
long tubes and magnaflow cat-back is very tolerable for cruising, but also can get loud when you lay into it.

·
The Jolly Roger
277 Posts
slp loudmouth 2 sounds great

·
Challenge this.
1,539 Posts
I've got Kooks LT's with catted connection pipes, 2.5 tru-x pipe, stock exhaust plumbing feeding Magnaflow mufflers (forgot witch ones). It's not loud at all. In fact, I was runnin' with straight pipes (resonator delete) and it was too loud and waaaaay to raspy. The x-pipe cleaned up the sound dramatically. I've even added a small cam to the mix. It's perfect. All of the local guys keep telling me I need a catback. I don't think I do.

·
Got MPG? Yes, it's a diesel.
728 Posts
Izzy said:
Here's what I'm looking for out of an exhaust system, so please give me some opinions on how you guys think it will work.

What I want: a little louder at idle with a deeper tone all around, can't be overly loud at cruising speeds (daily driver, have business associates in the car from time to time), equal or better flow than stock. I also plan on adding LT's within the next year or so, so factor that in as well.

Here is what I was thinking for a system: Remove resonator, replace with H-pipe. SAP mufflers to replace stock mufflers, stock tips. LT's with cats to follow a little later down the road.

What do you think?
A few days ago I installed a Magnaflow cat-back on my 06. Personally I love the sound. It is nice and quiet at idle, a touch louder than stock. It doesn't get loud until you lay into the throttle a bit (anything over about 3K RPM). The Magnaflow system has an x-pipe in place of the stock resonator. I don't notice any rasp whatsoever. Very mellow tone, not obnoxious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts