LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
got rice?
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting an XM radio system installed in my goat.

Does anyone have one?

What do you think of it?

How much was the install and how did it look? I really don't want some 18 year old kid at circuit city hacking up my ride.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

-Jerz GTO
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
XM is the best thing since the invention of the wheel. Only complaint I have right now is that since they've grown so much, they have DJs on some of the music channels now. Sirius does the same. Three things I can't stand: 1) commercials, 2) DJs trying to be funny, 3) DJs talking over music. At least they still don't have commercials.

I got the Delphi Roady. XM has a deal on them now where you can get the Roady and a home adaptor kit as well.

Here's how I mounted it. I have a plug adaptor with an FM broadcast.



And I just mounted the antenna on velcro here, works fine:



Trust me, go XM and you'll never listen to broadcast radio again.

Padre
 

·
ashgto04
Joined
·
39 Posts
Had my Alpine XM unit moved from my old car to my goat. I used a local outfit in the Chicago area to moven ot my original installer. I still use the FM Modulator and have the antenna on the truck lid outside. I recently added the MP3 changer as well.

I agree with PadreGTO-it's much better than normal radio except for traffic-the jury is still out on the XM traffic for me.
 

·
GTOWILL
Joined
·
236 Posts
PadreGTO said:
XM is the best thing since the invention of the wheel. Only complaint I have right now is that since they've grown so much, they have DJs on some of the music channels now. Sirius does the same. Three things I can't stand: 1) commercials, 2) DJs trying to be funny, 3) DJs talking over music. At least they still don't have commercials.

I got the Delphi Roady. XM has a deal on them now where you can get the Roady and a home adaptor kit as well.

Here's how I mounted it. I have a plug adaptor with an FM broadcast.



And I just mounted the antenna on velcro here, works fine:



Trust me, go XM and you'll never listen to broadcast radio again.

Padre

Padre - No problems with reception with the antena inside the car?
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
GTOWILL said:
Padre - No problems with reception with the antena inside the car?
No difference whatsoever than my truck, which is roof-mounted. And I know the spots around town where I lose reception - both my truck and the Goat lose reception at the same spots and no others.

Padre
 

·
3X HIN Hottest Modern Muscle
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
2004GOAT- Just to let you know i am 19 and work at a Circuit City. I do not work in the roadshop though but in the warehouse. I have never installed anything in my life until i did the xm in my gto. If i can do it, anyone can do it, including you.
Also mine was the hard install unit, the commander, which is what i would recomend. I dont know where you live but i would be glad to help you do it.
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
kingkong401 said:
2004GOAT- Just to let you know i am 19 and work at a Circuit City. I do not work in the roadshop though but in the warehouse. I have never installed anything in my life until i did the xm in my gto. If i can do it, anyone can do it, including you.
Actually, I'm going to have my local Hi Fi Buys/Circuit City guys do the install on the new switches I have going in: "N2O", "Purge", "Cut-outs", "Roll Control". :secret: :)

I've seen the work they've done on radar detector installs on high-end cars. I was impressed, so they'll be doing my new little switches. :)

Padre
 

·
got rice?
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kingkong401 said:
2004GOAT- Just to let you know i am 19 and work at a Circuit City. I do not work in the roadshop though but in the warehouse. I have never installed anything in my life until i did the xm in my gto. If i can do it, anyone can do it, including you.
Also mine was the hard install unit, the commander, which is what i would recomend. I dont know where you live but i would be glad to help you do it.
Didn't mean to take a stabb at you personally. I started working on stereos when I was 17.

I've just had bad experiences with my older cars. They would hack up the job and one of my door panels had a scuff on it in the corner. I would just rather take my car to a small company that charges a lot than a big company that will charge a little less. My theory is; the bigger the company, the more room for error. I would just hate to have my GTO hacked up.
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
[Rant]

I am not normaly a Ludite but I hate the concept of XM Radio.

Growing up I was fourtunate enough to live in the New England area which had incredible radio stations. It was as common to hear local bands on the radio as national acts Those of us into the music scene relied on the local DJs to let us know who was playing where. One station WFNX, was so involved that it was common to get to know some of the DJ's if you went to enough local shows. They were there to see the show and people at the shows tended to mingle and get to know each other. Stations like WFNX, WBCN and otheres in the area built comunities and encouraged local acts. Stations today have lost a lot of the edge that stations used to have but they still offer local content and a sense of comunity to a lessor degree. XM is a national conglomorant and does not have the ability to serve the smaller markets that radio serves. FM radio is one of the last mediums that support this type of interaction between the broadcaster and listener.

Clearwater Comunications is doing their best to ruin this as well so in 10 years maybe this will all be mute point. If you do not know who they are, they own 90+% of the mass market radio stations in the USA, ticketmaster and a large number of the venues that bands play today. They have the ability to make or break a band and if they do not decide that we should hear a band, we won't.

[End Rant/]
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
sxty8goats: yeah, but it's not simply Clear Channel's fault. Radio has gone to pot because of people like Opie and Anthony (who are now signed with XM despite their infamous stunt at a place I once served) - the attitude that they have to be ever more and more outrageous to get listeners. As I said, I don't care if a DJ is funny and I don't want the DJ to talk over the music. If the DJ is knowledgeable and can share some interesting info about the band and the music, fine, but funny and outrageous and talking over the music I could care less about. Alas, that's the type of DJ that XM and Sirius seem to be looking for. :(

And DJ's in the mornings - dear Lord I haven't listened to them in years. Last time I did it was like road rage - just shutup and play some friggin music already! :banghead:

Your other points about local music scenes are well-taken, but the music business has always been a racket. Believe it or not, I managed a couple of Reggae bands in Dallas in the 1980's (the "Deep Ellum" scene - "Ship of Vibes" and "Da Nu Man", and my cousin and I used to hang out with Edie Brickell - he was in a band called the "Decadent Dub Team" that had a track in the movie "Colors"). Even the local scene was a racket. I could tell you stories. I got out of it when someone offered me a needle. Wasn't my thing.

Padre
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
I don't actualy blame CCC. I blame Pres Clinton for opening up the market. There used to be laws preventing any one company form owning more than 5(?) stations. Also you couldn't own cross media sources IE, TV, Radio and News Papers in the same market. That was designed to give the people a choice and prevent one sided media in any one market.

I too worked in the industry back in the day. I've DJ on College stations and worked closely with comercial stations while I was a College DJ. I also mixed quite a few live shows. Like you, It was the drugs that pushed me out. I had no intrest in them and when pot turned to coke, the people doing them around me got really anoying. I am still around the biz a bit but not too much. I have a few friends in the Metal Scene around Chi-town.

Opie and Anthony are fools. They were on the air in Bean town for many years. But radio pushed them out. Where were they when you heard them? I tended to turn them off. Morning radio is typicaly bad. I always loved the Mid day shift. You are freer in your selection to content and can dig alittle deeper into the wax.

Bob and Tom Rule Mornings in my book. They are big on funny but not so much on music. They are supporting comadians instead of bands.
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I don't actualy blame CCC. I blame Pres Clinton for opening up the market. There used to be laws preventing any one company form owning more than 5(?) stations. Also you couldn't own cross media sources IE, TV, Radio and News Papers in the same market. That was designed to give the people a choice and prevent one sided media in any one market.
Interesting point. I know a few people still in the industry and the CCC rant is a common theme. Can't say I disagree.

Opie and Anthony are fools. They were on the air in Bean town for many years. But radio pushed them out. Where were they when you heard them? I tended to turn them off.
Never actually heard them. Just their famous stunt - broadcasting live a couple having sex at St. Pat's in NYC. A little too far in my book, since I once celebrated Mass there with Cardinal O'Connor. If a DJ wants to have fun and pull some stunts, fine, but offending a billion or so people... again, DJs ought to stick to what they're good at - tell us about the music and play some good tunes, and if you happen to be funny while doing it, great, but don't waste my time with stupid people tricks.

Padre
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Interesting point. I know a few people still in the industry and the CCC rant is a common theme. Can't say I disagree.
Padre
I still believe that CCC is evil. Just the root of the blame goes to those who enabled their existance.

In small markets, DJ's tend to be more attuned to their public. The good ones tended to out way the Opie's and I don't think O&A would have had a show 15 years ago in the pre CCC days. Look where they are now.. On XM, the next great evil. If XM takes hold then there will be more corporate controll of what we listen to.

On the other hand. Maybe that would cause a new resurgance in the FM market. One can hope.

I was Catholic once. I've met Cardinal Law on a few occasions and knew a few of the priests in the news. My cousin was one of them. It is hard to decide which of them were among the evil and which were caught up in a whitch hunt. It was truly a tragic time for the church.
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I was Catholic once. I've met Cardinal Law on a few occasions and knew a few of the priests in the news. My cousin was one of them. It is hard to decide which of them were among the evil and which were caught up in a whitch hunt. It was truly a tragic time for the church.
Aye. I met Law once, but if I saw him again I wouldn't even shake his hand. I've personally kicked out and/or called the FBI on a few of those guys in the news. I try not to even associate myself with those who are trying to spin this and keep covering up. That's why I hang out with GTO-guys. :) Much saner.

Padre
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Aye. I met Law once, but if I saw him again I wouldn't even shake his hand. I've personally kicked out and/or called the FBI on a few of those guys in the news. I try not to even associate myself with those who are trying to spin this and keep covering up. That's why I hang out with GTO-guys. :) Much saner.

Padre
yea it was strange times. There were not too many people in my circle of friends that were the least bit surprised by the whole episode. The nuns always told us not to hang around with the preists alone. When you hear it from an early age you kind of just accept it. I never had a problem with anyone but I know people who did. I remember the first time I met a minister who was married, Episcapal I think, I was shocked. Not only was I brought up to beleive that preists didn't marry, I believed/ was taught that they married God because they "didnt' want to" marry a woman. At that age I didn't have a complete grasp of what that ment but I believed they had a different outlook than I did about some important issues.

Oh yea, XM radio, I don't like the idea... Sorry folks. We pulled this a little off topic.
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
Matt said:
What order do you belong to? With the handle Padre and a black GTO I'm guessing Dominicans.
No, I'm diocesan. Padre comes from my assignment in El Paso and Mexico where I went to learn Spanish. If I were Dominican, I'd have to take a vow of poverty and wouldn't be able to have a fun toy like the Goat. :)

OK, back on topic...

Padre
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top