LS1GTO.com Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the Mods said this might be a good place to feel out how much my 04 might be worth. I am thinking seriously about selling it, as I bought a '65 and I can only drive one at a time. The old one is more fun to me, so the 04 suffers. Last year I put 9 miles on the 04 to get the state inspection renewed, and 200 the year before that. Total mileage 17464. When new, I didn't get a daily driver for a couple months, or it would have about 5k on it. Took it to Georgia once from WV.

I used to be very active here til I got the old Goat 6 yrs ago. The 04 needs to go where someone will drive it and enjoy it. It is probably one of the best 04s remaining out there. Only way it could be better is if someone put a new 04 in the garage and never drove it. If I can get something reasonable for it, I will sell. I just don't have any idea what that is; I haven't been following sales. Besides, mine's a bit unusual due to the low miles + these particular mods.

Torrid red on red manual, (out of 571). I have $40,000 in it. SEE MOD LIST. I have all receipts. Nitrous programming book, laptop cable, extra bottle, I'll even throw in the bottle wrench. It runs real well, 100 HP dry shot. I installed it myself and made the bottle mounting plate. Power can be increased (other orifices and bottle blow-off seals included) but I wouldn't, with stock internals.
I will post some of the pics here. There is no road rash. There is one dime-size shallow factory dent that it came off the transporter with. I told the dealer I did not want it fixed, the paint patch would always bother me. It is not visible unless I show it to you. Always garaged, babied beyond belief. I take care of my stuff.
The exhaust is stock back to the rear end where I had a guy convert it to split duals. I cut the bumper and he welded the stainless pipes and tips. So it doesn't sound any different except now it's stereo. I will appreciate any thoughts on value. I know it's a 16 year old car. But they're not making any more, either. I don't think I have unrealistic expectations, but that remains to be seen. Lemme see if I can get some pics included. THANK YOU

DANG THE DANG WATERMARKS! THEY DIDN'T USED TO HAVE THESE. i'M NOT GONNA SUBSCRIBE. I CAN SEND CLEAN PICS TO ANYONE INTERESTED. If I could pay a one time fee I wouod be glad to do that but not gonna subscribe for a one-time use. <sigh> If I actually post for sale I will have to figure out a way to get these hosted without watermarks

·
Registered
325 Posts
There's another red GTO parked in front of your car in one of the pics....

·
Registered
30 Posts
First off, B-Ee-Aa-yutiFUL car!

No offense, but seems like a waste of money. I never understood why so many people do this. $40k into a car that has that low of miles & it's still pretty much stock. Have to find the right buyer for sure. 99% of cars are not investments, rather just money pits. You potentially paid $20k, $1200 yr or $100 month to store a car for 16 years for someone else to enjoy.....but hey, the next guy (if he doesnt mind the lil 5.7 J/K!!!) can have a sweet ass car that he might make $100 a month (gross, , less upkeep) on it if he keeps it another 16 years....you're already at a loss, keep it as a sweet freaking daily & really get to work on the 65. Best of luck on the sale if you go down that road (I say keep it!)

But...I have been known to be wrong...from time to time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just reread what I posted, seriously not meant to sound like a jerk. I know you know what its cost you...its too nice to give it away!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just reread what I posted, seriously not meant to sound like a jerk. I know you know what its cost you...its too nice to give it away!
I am not offended. It was not a good financial move. (or lack of movement, so to speak). THe one intangible is this--I missed buying a new GTO the first time around---too young. This time I scored, and it was worth $$ to me to have that car in my garage. The sad thing is I didn't drive it regularly. But now because of that, I might recoup SOME but not nearly ALL my investment, I get that. Another thing that was wasted was the insurance on it.

As far as the "stock", well, the engine is. But the car is $6000+ away from stock---mostly appearance, it's true. Some people will like that. Others will wish the whole 6000 was in a blower.

·
Worthless reject member
37,414 Posts
No fun car is a good financial move, unless it's already a classic and had appreciated. Then you really don't want to have fun with it.

Many fun things are not inherently good financial moves. That's why we have jobs, so we can have money to enjoy life, if we're wise not just now but when we're old and retired.

That being said, the market for used GTO's isn't that great. Most 04's i see go for 10k or less. You'll definitely fetch over 10k from the condition of your car, but have fun trying to get anything over 20k.

Low miles and pristine condition does play a HUGE role in the worth of these cars, though. You really need the combo of having both. It's the difference between a $5,000 150k mile car and a $15,000 15k mile car.

·
Worthless reject member
37,414 Posts
First off, B-Ee-Aa-yutiFUL car!

No offense, but seems like a waste of money. I never understood why so many people do this. $40k into a car that has that low of miles & it's still pretty much stock. Have to find the right buyer for sure. 99% of cars are not investments, rather just money pits. You potentially paid $20k, $1200 yr or $100 month to store a car for 16 years for someone else to enjoy.....but hey, the next guy (if he doesnt mind the lil 5.7 J/K!!!) can have a sweet ass car that he might make $100 a month (gross, , less upkeep) on it if he keeps it another 16 years....you're already at a loss, keep it as a sweet freaking daily & really get to work on the 65. Best of luck on the sale if you go down that road (I say keep it!)

But...I have been known to be wrong...from time to time.
That "next guy" has a 90% of clapping it out.

And using it as a daily is fine until some retard hits you and the insurance totals it. Have fun finding parts.

·
Unaware of loss, Nor of gain
7,960 Posts
Usually people who look for clean and low mileage cars, are also looking for bone stock. The fact that it has nitrous will really hurt resale and limit the buyers. $12k and expect hagglers. Too many GTO's on the market now.

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
Sooooo.... First off.. SUPER nice/clean car! Bad news..... NADA RETAIL value (which what most people will go by) is only $12,012. I think you would be lucky to get $15K max for it, and that's after waiting forever for the right buyer. Like was mentioned, you can pick 04's up really cheap now. There's an '04 for sale at a dealer near me right now (21K miles on it) for $15477. I have an '06 (75K miles) with probably $20K+ in mods done to it. NADA value: $13375. I'd sell it right now if someone offered me $18K for it. Hell, I might even let it go for $15K. Like you, I put MAYBE 100 miles on it in 2019.

I'd probably make more $$ parting it out. It doesn't cost me anything for it sit in the garage, so that's pretty much where it stays. Also, as was mentioned. a "lady" hit me in the left front fender in a parking lot (15-20mph collision) 3 years go, denting the fender, breaking the headlight bucket and front bumper. I had to BEG insurance not to total it!

I'm hoping someone famous will want to use it in a movie, denting it up in the process. I'll then store it for another 20 yrs or so, and sell it for $3M! LOL

·
Fake bacon lover
10,642 Posts
It is a really nice clean car.

But, I'm with those that will tell you, 12 to 15K on the very high end is about all you'll likely to get. Maybe more if some special buyer happens to come along (which would be awesome). But an '04 GTO (or any GTO honestly) isn't going to get much above NADA especially if its modded in any way or form. I don't think people are seeking out these cars. And I doubt they will any time soon honestly.

I still have a '06 in the garage as well. No idea wtf I'm going to do with it. Don't wanna spend the big $$$ on a new fun car that I won't drive. I don't really need that $13-15K i'd get for mine or whatever. And I do drive it some times. So... I just keep holding this old Pontiac! (and spending $$ on insurance damn it)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Usually people who look for clean and low mileage cars, are also looking for bone stock. The fact that it has nitrous will really hurt resale and limit the buyers. $12k and expect hagglers. Too many GTO's on the market now.
I was considering the same thing about the nitrous but decided against it. Then I saw your post, and I do agree. Funny how a blower or turbo increases value but nitrous takes away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.