LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 engine, i just finished replacing the water pump on it and had to recharge the battery because the car sat a few weeks before i got to it.

when i tried to start it, the starter was going but the car wouldn't turn over properly. i turned the key back off quickly and retired it and it started and i got a back fire. the car ran fine but the engine light was on. i got the code P0340 Camshaft position sensor "A" circuit (bank 1 or single sensor). i cleared the code and then tried to start it again and it started right up. i drove it down the street a bit and it ran fine. so when i got back home i turned it off and gave it a min then i tried to start it and it did the same thing you can hear the starter and engine trying but the car wouldn't start. i turned it off and restarted and it started fine but the engine light is back on with the same code.

i read up a little bit and its saying the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor or electrical output (battery) and/or the PCM.

anyone with some knowledge on this for some help? Thanks

·
Worthless reject member
40,679 Posts
Hopefully is it just a bad cam sensor or a problem with the harness getting pinched somewhere or water in the connector or something.

Now, what do you mean by "but the car wouldn't turn over properly?" Just that it turned over and wouldn't start?

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as the engine was turning to try to start it was turning slower it wouldn't kick in if you know what i mean

·
Worthless reject member
40,679 Posts
Not really, unless the battery was drained.

The only other thing is that something is seizing mechanically, but you said the engine ran fine after you got it started.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it is just the starting process, i drove it about a mile down the street and pulled in a parking lot, sat at idle for about 2 mins then drove it home and opened it up a bit and it ran fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
The camshaft position sensor is tucked beneath the water pump. I suspect the connection was disturbed during the pump replacement. Hopefully you can reseat the connection otherwise you'll need to remove the water pump again to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i had the battery load tested and it was bad (had a feeling it would be, battery was 12 years old Optima), so i got a new Optima battery and installed. the code cleared by itself and when i started it, it started right up no issues. i let it run for about 2 mins then turned it off and then i tried to restart and it wouldn't start (Just keeps tuning, a lot better sound than with old battery). Same code came up.

after reading MOGoat's post i looked for the sensor and i see the wire harness is unplugged to the sensor. i do not know how that happened since i never unplugged any wires. so now i am letting the engine cool down and i will connect the wire harness and see what happens. i'll let you know the outcome.

thanks for your guys feed back!!!

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so I plugged that wire harness back in and the car is running great. thanks again for your guys help!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts