LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the pacesetter headers are looking better and better everyday, esp the price. The only problem i can think of is it is not Stainless Steel, therefore they are liable to rust. So my questions are if i get them coated does that have an affect of the rust issue? If i get them uncoated and unpainted and spray them with rustolem a few times, will that keep the potential rust off as well?

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
gotta remember one thing. headers will be 1000*+ when the engine is running. i dont think rustoleum will hold up to the heat.

getting them coated is a very good idea

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummina said:
gotta remember one thing. headers will be 1000*+ when the engine is running. i dont think rustoleum will hold up to the heat.

getting them coated is a very good idea
i konw about the heat issues, i think they have high heat resistant paint, as well as rust stopper.

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
yeah im looking at a can of DupliColor Engine Enamel with Ceramic..... its the highest temp paint i know of thats readily accessible, spray paint, get it at advanced auto parts, napa, home depot, etc.... its good for 500 degrees

that stuff says its safe for engine blocks, oil pans, air cleaners, valve covers, intake manifolds, and water pumps

ive seen painted headers, so i know it can be done..... you use header paint like this
http://www.superior-industries.com/thermal_kote_product_208.html
ive seen some orange headers on a 426 hemi, matched the block, it looked killer

its a little more expensive, and requries it to be cured at 400 degrees.... as in it might be more trouble that its worth, just pay the $100 to have it coated

unless any one esle who has painted there headers posts up to correct me

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
If it's a daily driver in the winter time and you plan to keep your car more than 3 years, I'd go with SS headers period. Coatings aren't going to help much, all it will take is one scratch to penetrate to the metal and it'll rust under the coating. Painting won't help much unless you can paint the inside of the pipes too.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Just get coated, worth the 100 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts