LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten a response back from Chad at Gravana that because of supply & demand (there is no demand, so hence no supply) the Pacesetters will not be offered with a catted midpipe option.

Me, being a cheapskate who refuses to pay $1200-$1400 for a set of longtube headers just sees this as an obstacle.

I would like to figure out how to get a set of Pacesetters and retrofit a set of cats into their midpipes, or something equivalent that would allow me to pass the NC emissions inspection each year.

What are the thoughts of the mass? How can this be accomplished?

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
any decent (keep in mind 90% of muffler places are far from decent) muffler shop can weld on a flange to the end of the header to where they can bolt on an off the shelf cat and hook that up to your mufflers.
Problem is finding the right shop. I had a shop back in Florida that could make anything I wanted anyway I wanted for 1/2 of what companies charge for stuff.
I had complete mandrel bent 2.5 exhaust from the headers all the way to the back with dynomax mufflers,aluminized pipe and offroad x pipe made and installed twice in two different vehicles for under $500 each time..
The prices the big companies charge for exhaust parts like midpipes is an unbelievable ripoff.. $299 for a set of offroad midpipes??????????????
Its friggin $20-$40 worth of tubing.. unreal...

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Why even buy the midpipes? Just buy the long tubes, and bring them to an exhaust shop and put cats on them. Shops here in Cali dont have a problem with that, as most of them are worried about removing the cats and going straight pipe. Plenty of room to add them in, hell you could remove the stock cats and weld them in place, just all about a little fabrication. And yes I was in the same boat as you, not willing to shell out $1200+ for a set of long tubes, now I've got a set for $349 and spent the rest of the $$$ on more supporting mods.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just need to make sure I understand your ideas.

When you say "why bother with the midpipes", I have to have something to connect the end of the headers to the X-pipe on my Magnaflow catback. I assume that will be a cat and some tubing, right?
I guess what I need to do is go to an exhaust shop and let them look under my car. Then tell them "if I get a set of headers that come out to here (pointing to where the LT's stop under the car), could you put me a cat with some mandrel bent tubing that will connect them to the X-pipe here"

One thing I would like to do though is make sure that whatever I do can bolt into the headers and X-pipe for those track days where I want to remove the cats and put in straight pipes. It would be nice to be able to pull the car up on ramps and swap out the cats with straights in 30 mins or less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i installed my pacesetters today. wow what a pain in the ass!!!! the steering rack was definetly the worst part of the deal. i didnt plan on getting my wheels realligned, but oh well. i am pretty thrifty when it comes to spending money. all i did for the cats was cut them in half. i cut the dual cats in half making sure i saved the o2 sensor spots. then i went to napa and bought 2 condensing pipes to attach the 3 in header to the 2 in cat. that was a $45 purchase as opposed to going to a muffler shop. if i ever have more money i will probably get a real exhaust set up, but for now this kicks ass. oh yeah make sure you peel the stickers off the headers. they stink and smoke when they burn. ha ha

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
briand7878 said:
i installed my pacesetters today. wow what a pain in the ass!!!! the steering rack was definetly the worst part of the deal. i didnt plan on getting my wheels realligned, but oh well. i am pretty thrifty when it comes to spending money. all i did for the cats was cut them in half. i cut the dual cats in half making sure i saved the o2 sensor spots. then i went to napa and bought 2 condensing pipes to attach the 3 in header to the 2 in cat. that was a $45 purchase as opposed to going to a muffler shop. if i ever have more money i will probably get a real exhaust set up, but for now this kicks ass. oh yeah make sure you peel the stickers off the headers. they stink and smoke when they burn. ha ha
Pictures!

·
user
1,367 Posts
btrotter said:
Just need to make sure I understand your ideas.

When you say "why bother with the midpipes", I have to have something to connect the end of the headers to the X-pipe on my Magnaflow catback. I assume that will be a cat and some tubing, right?
I guess what I need to do is go to an exhaust shop and let them look under my car. Then tell them "if I get a set of headers that come out to here (pointing to where the LT's stop under the car), could you put me a cat with some mandrel bent tubing that will connect them to the X-pipe here"

One thing I would like to do though is make sure that whatever I do can bolt into the headers and X-pipe for those track days where I want to remove the cats and put in straight pipes. It would be nice to be able to pull the car up on ramps and swap out the cats with straights in 30 mins or less.
a good set of high flow cats will negate the need to un bolt anything . I finally found a shop here in NC that I trusted enough to do my 04-05 conversion . It ended up costing all of $80 . you are over complicating the issue . What you really need is the cats and someone with a bender and a good mig welder . My car currently needs gaskets at the flanges where kooks midpipes bole to rear section . they did last 2 years but it is time for another set . I may just have them welded together so I have no more leaks .. you may be amazed at how loud the car gets with just the headers and stock mufflers .

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
maaksel said:
cats....? what are cats? >=)
lol+1 there are tons of cars here running catless in CT

·
got goat milk?
361 Posts
if everybody in this world doesnt have cat. in their car, im afraid i wont see my grand childrens in the future.... and yours too. theres a reason why auto companies put them on, so everybody can enjoy fresh air. a FEW extra HP isnt worth to pollute the world. if you want power, get a tune, FI, nitrous, do whatever, just leave the cats on or high flows.. have a great day.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
dakrat said:
if everybody in this world doesnt have cat. in their car, im afraid i wont see my grand childrens in the future.... and yours too. theres a reason why auto companies put them on, so everybody can enjoy fresh air. a FEW extra HP isnt worth to pollute the world. if you want power, get a tune, FI, nitrous, do whatever, just leave the cats on or high flows.. have a great day.
:cry: :cry: :cry: yeah like the cats make THAT much of a difference :rolleyes:

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
dakrat said:
if only that was true

if you live in a big city , where they have alot of manufacturing , oil refineries , that is where 70% of your polution is coming from , big business and small business arent hit as hard as the auto industry for emissions

and im prob off , it might be more than 70% , plus the rest of the world isnt as emissions friendly as the US cars

·
got goat milk?
361 Posts
s/c'd cav said:
if only that was true

if you live in a big city , where they have alot of manufacturing , oil refineries , that is where 70% of your polution is coming from , big business and small business arent hit as hard as the auto industry for emissions

and im prob off , it might be more than 70% , plus the rest of the world isnt as emissions friendly as the US cars
oil refineries, manufacturer they are polluter from day one. our cars are emission friendly from day one until people started making it a polluter. the rest of the world doesnt have a great government like we do. :patriot:

·
got goat milk?
361 Posts
dakrat said:
oil refineries, manufacturer they are polluter from day one. our cars are emission friendly from day one until people started making it a polluter. the rest of the world doesnt have a great government like we do. if we can avoid adding pollution why not? :patriot:

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
$1200 is for a set of LT headers w/ midpipes + cats, not just the LT themselves, but yeah, fabbing them yourself or through a shop will save $$$ for sure. Can you not use your stock cats and have some custom midpipes made to attach everything?

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
dakrat said:

Go sell your car and buy a prius or the new Honda hybrid cars, since your so adaminite on coming to a public board and preaching about your grand kids and how the air is gonna be bad, you can save all of us by "Taking one for the team" and trading in your smog polluting V8 into a gas/electric car, then all of us can ride open header baby!

·
got goat milk?
361 Posts
Flash99 said:
Go sell your car and buy a prius or the new Honda hybrid cars, since your so adaminite on coming to a public board and preaching about your grand kids and how the air is gonna be bad, you can save all of us by "Taking one for the team" and trading in your smog polluting V8 into a gas/electric car, then all of us can ride open header baby!
grow up :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts