LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
60% of the time, everytime.
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pace setters arrived while I was on vacation. I told my friend down the hall and roomate that I'll be expecting these and to bring them in.

Anyway, the top of the box was torn open and the end of the driver side tube was sticking out. My friend being a car guy i figured opened it up to take a look.

Apparently, he didn't and I assume fedex just damaged the hell out of the box to have it torn open like it was.

So do i bitch at fedex and deal with the hassle? or just pound these out myself? I dont have any real tools here at the apartment. I'll be bringing these to my parents to use my dads stuff... so i wasn't able to see how hard it would be to reshape this.

Attachments

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't there to accept. I think they just left them at the door and the roomate signed for them.

Not to mention hwo the hell is she supposed to know ANYTHING about cars?

I'll try to see if I can work it out, I'd rather not deal with fed ex. UPS/USPS FTW

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
Bigpollack said:
Maybe, course with the bloated prices of the SS headers, he can buy ANOTHER set of pacesetters, and still come out ahead !:stickpoke
do it once, do it right..........i'll be buying kooks or ss....screw the savings..

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fenderplayer said:
do it once, do it right..........i'll be buying kooks or ss....screw the savings..
wish i had money to just throw away like that. must be nice :pimp:

·
Exhausted Tuner
1,254 Posts
Go to a muffler shop that has a tube expander and reducer. They can expand the pipe out and it will reshape the part back to round. They they can reduce the expanded area back to the right size and it will keep its shape. They might charge you $20-50 for the time they might not charge you at all but it's probably the best way to do it. Also, be sure to take your mid-pipe with you so they can size the collector back to something that works with your parts.

In any case, be aware pounding, heating and or resizing will cause the coating to flake off ... I would contact Pacesetter and get their take before doing anything.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Once a package is signed for you've released the carrier from responsibility.

Unless damage is noted on the airbill, they are not responsible. You can probably fight with them on it but it's going to be a long row to hoe. Good luck!

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/index.html

FedEx reserves the right to inspect a damaged shipment on the recipient's premises as well as the right to retrieve the damaged package for inspection at a FedEx facility. The terms and conditions applicable to the original shipment (including any declared value) will govern the disposition of all claims in connection with the shipment, including any claim relative to the retrieval, inspection or return of the package. When a package is picked up for inspection, a receipt for the damaged package will be provided if requested by the recipient. All of the original shipping cartons, packing and contents must be made available for our inspection and retained until the claim is concluded.
Except in the case of concealed damage, receipt of the shipment by the recipient without written notice of damage on the airbill is prima facieevidence that the shipment was delivered in good condition.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
maaksel said:
wish i had money to just throw away like that. must be nice :pimp:

+1 People are rich on these boards. :secret:

I would do as Richard stated. Any good exhaust shop could fix that EASILY. But the coating may flake. Since its gonna be on the bottom connection of the header, the mid pipes will cover that part anyways, so I wouldnt worry about seeing any type of flaking. Make sure to re-tighten your header bolts about 100 miles after the install. Just a note.

·
NJ GOAT
745 Posts
They don't look too bad, as stated above you'll be able to have those easily fixed by any decent shop. It's not worth the hassle to fight with FedEx though.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
yeah that is a easy fix , if they have a hydralic expander it will take a bout 30-45 seconds

if vatozone has expanders itll take you a beer and about 2-3 minutes with a wrench

ive fixed worse with less

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The collectors can be fixed with a tubing expander, although they will likely wind up oversized, or more preferrably, simply beat back into shape over a rounded anvil and a soft mallet. No biggie. Seal the joint with some oxygen sensor safe silicone to prevent a leak. The tubing expanders attatched to the pressure benders that most muffler shops use will have a pretty severe taper to the expanded section, and they might not have a swaging tool to bring it back down to the proper size. A hydraulic end-former, such as an Addison-McKee is the proper way to reshape a tube. Fortunately, your primary tubes appear undamaged. Pacesetter gets a few points deducted for cheesy packaging.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
mistermike said:
The collectors can be fixed with a tubing expander, although they will likely wind up oversized, or more preferrably, simply beat back into shape over a rounded anvil and a soft mallet. No biggie. Seal the joint with some oxygen sensor safe silicone to prevent a leak. The tubing expanders attatched to the pressure benders that most muffler shops use will have a pretty severe taper to the expanded section, and they might not have a swaging tool to bring it back down to the proper size. A hydraulic end-former, such as an Addison-McKee is the proper way to reshape a tube. Fortunately, your primary tubes appear undamaged. Pacesetter gets a few points deducted for cheesy packaging.

I've had a few headers from Pacesetter and the boxing is fine. Havent had a problem yet. (knock on wood) however I think clearly this is Fed-Ex's fault.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
i'd call the shipper and see about an exchange. its not your fault it came damaged. people accept packages all the time and put in claims later.

screw having to pay more money to get something fixed that shouldnt have happened in the first place.

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, i want to see what i can do with it first before i bitch at fedex. even though they are communistic bastards

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
who's doing the install? if your going to a muffler shop, they should have a pipe expander which would fix that up

if your not going to have them installed, and gonna install them your self, it shouldnt be too hard to fix, just a PITA

when i order mine i'll keep an eye out for that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts