LS1GTO Forums banner
181 - 200 of 205 Posts
not saying shut up, just try give recognition to our list of sponsors that pay the bills but most important build the best LSX motors. Also these companies have a long track record, they arn't like two companies who sponsored other forums but screwed lot of people out of money. We have good sponsors here:)

sxty8goats said:
I was feeling good about our rev-limiters. People had me believing that hitting them was no big deal. Good thing I haven't made a habbit of it. I've only hit it two or three times. Good luck w/ your new engine.
Ha! I've got a real bad habit of it, and with an automatic, even. Hehe. If you don't bounce it when you're low on oil, you should be fine. :shiner:

I'm starting to think LS7. What do you guys think?

Padre

PadreGTO said:
Ha! I've got a real bad habit of it, and with an automatic, even. Hehe. If you don't bounce it when you're low on oil, you should be fine. :shiner:

I'm starting to think LS7. What do you guys think?

Padre
Is the pricing available yet? Personally, I would weigh all available options for the same money. If you do go with the LS7, you'll probably mod that too!! So, it might make more sense to go another route. Dunno, just thinking out loud here... I like the 402 stroker idea although my application is less focus on the drag strip and more on the street scene (cruising, spirited driving and the occasional street race).

barkingspud said:
If you do go with the LS7, you'll probably mod that too!!
Who me? :sneaky: Hehe. :gr_jest:

But it'll already be modded, reusing custom intake, headers, full exhaust, no Cats.

Main worry I suppose would be the PCM - if I'd need a new computer, all that.

But I've got this unistalled NX wet kit, so an LS7 GTO would be a beast on the street and a mid-11-second car at the track with a little juice.

And I'm just thinking out loud as well. :)

Padre

Hehe LS7 MSRP is about Half the cost of the GTO, the cost to get it working correctly in the GTO would probably be 1/4 the cost of the motor ;)

PadreGTO said:
Who me? :sneaky: Hehe. :gr_jest:

But it'll already be modded, reusing custom intake, headers, full exhaust, no Cats.

Main worry I suppose would be the PCM - if I'd need a new computer, all that.

But I've got this unistalled NX wet kit, so an LS7 GTO would be a beast on the street and a mid-11-second car at the track with a little juice.

And I'm just thinking out loud as well. :)

Padre
You would need a new PCM for sure. What about MDMC? Did they ever get their 455 running well in the Goat? I remember the last update I saw they were having some shakedown issues.....

No pricing is available yet, but again knock sensors will be an issue, also how the oiling system works, their are two oil pumps and the pan is desigend for a dry sump. If it was possible to have a conventional GEN III oil system it would be easier. Also if you can't switch oil pans, is that corvette oil pan going to work?

The cylinder heads seam to only work with LS7 intake manifold, will you need a LS7 throttle body or will an LS2/90mm TB work?

I see it inevitable the LS7 will be over 10k; for less then 10k you can put together top of the range GEN III motor built with proven off the shelf parts. Would you be willing to go with an Iron block Padre?

GTPprix said:
Hehe LS7 MSRP is about Half the cost of the GTO, the cost to get it working correctly in the GTO would probably be 1/4 the cost of the motor ;)
That's in line with many of the large CID packages from the likes of LPE, MTI, MDMC and others. So for around 20k, you get and LS7 crate motor with installation.

well see that doesnt include figuring out how to modify the LS7 oil pan, which has two draining areas, the sumps ect.. Which will be a royal pain in the ass on this car, I'm sure the whole conversion turn key would be about 25K and a complete waste of money lol Forged bottom end and a blower, call it a day with more power than an LS7 ;)

GTPprix said:
well see that doesnt include figuring out how to modify the LS7 oil pan, which has two draining areas, the sumps ect.. Which will be a royal pain in the ass on this car, I'm sure the whole conversion turn key would be about 25K and a complete waste of money lol Forged bottom end and a blower, call it a day with more power than an LS7 ;)
Yes, royal PITA indeed. I'm guessing Padre has a fairly limited budget so, that will give you the best bang (no pun intended Padre) for the buck!

Padre mentioned STS, I think it would be cool to see him go that route, or a blower, whatever! :) I just wanted to meet him at the end of the month and buy him a beer :(

GTPprix said:
I agree. It sounds like a lot of fun trying to figure out all the problems and getting it to work, but just looking at my friends 89 Camaro Ls1 Conversion. They basically transplanted a wrecked 2002 Trans Am into his car. The had to cut certain things to fit, rewire everything to work correctly. He gets it back and it starts throwing codes (turned out to be nothing). The cost of the whole thing was a waste (IMHO) but its what he wanted. He would have been better of just buying a Used 2000+ Camaro or Trans Am. You can see the whole conversion here 89 Camaro LS1 Conversion

Thanks for the info, guys. Like I said, the LS7 was just a "thinking out loud" idea. But it sure would be nice to go with a complete package I don't have to mess with or worry about. It's fun doing the "ghetto installs" and all, and that's probably the route I'll go with a forged rotating assembly.

GMH: Iron block, I don't know. If I can find a good package, maybe. My current block should be fine - may just need some honing of the cylinders.

Thing is, I can reuse my heads (Patriot, 6L, 59cc chambers), maybe even my cam (236/590/114) on just about any package I get.

Toying with the idea of an FI system as well - same block/heads/cam, forged bottom end, all that. That may be the cheapest route, but how long will it last.? I'll still have to upgrade fuel system (pump/injectors), oil system, cooling, and eventually the drivetrain.

It'll all add up. Money money money. :banghead:

Padre

PadreGTO said:
Snip...

Toying with the idea of an FI system as well - same block/heads/cam, forged bottom end, all that. That may be the cheapest route, but how long will it last.? I'll still have to upgrade fuel system (pump/injectors), oil system, cooling, and eventually the drivetrain.

Padre
Talk to Bob at EPP about FI and longevity...

Padre,
That sucks but then looking at it with a positive spin you are obviously meant to do 10's...................looking forward to hearing what you do.

:drink::drink:

GTPprix said:
I just wanted to meet him at the end of the month and buy him a beer :(
You and me both. :( He is our original GTO Hero.

PadreGTO said:
.....It'll all add up. Money money money. :banghead:

Padre
If you had a special collection at the end of your service I would think its a worthwhile cause. Maybe call it "the Padre Appeal for Horsepower"

mmmm... then again, they might then want to drive it. :driving:

181 - 200 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.