LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car about a month now.

The black paint on the badge on the passenger side is chipping off.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm assuming the dealership will replace this at no charge............right??

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
EYES said:
I've had my car about a month now.

The black paint on the badge on the passenger side is chipping off.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm assuming the dealership will replace this at no charge............right??
Depends on whether or not you can prove it wasnt from road debris i.e. rock chips etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if they think that rocks and debris can fly up and knock the black paint out of the badge but not cause a scratch to anything else around that area then they're nuts. I'm thinking it was probably caused by the sprayer at the car wash but I'd think that the paint should be stronger than that.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened to more owners out there.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Power washers are evil. I had one wash a 3" area of paint off the rear bumper on my Honda once. IE: Avoid using them, be a real man and buy a sponge and a Mr Clean car wash system and do it in your driveway or parking lot or at a friends house even.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just so afraid of handwashing it and the black paint getting those 'cobwebs' and swirls in it.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
EYES said:
I'm just so afraid of handwashing it and the black paint getting those 'cobwebs' and swirls in it.
You'll do FAR more damage at a pressure washer car wash then you ever will handwashing. You'll find that ALL the show cars in the world are handwashed and its for a reason. Use a good soft sponge. Good soap. Good towels to dry and do not wash your wheels/rims with the same water you do the body unless its last. Never use the same sponge on your wheels as you do the body and dont swirl the sponge. Straight back and forth motions and you'll be fine. You'll also find damn near all of us handwash our babies and you wont find any siwrl marks here.

PS most of the swirl marks you described are from the buffer they use not from handwashing. Also, pressure washers do not get a car all that clean. They cannot blast off all the scum that gets a car. It must be scrubbed off. You will be very surprised how much better your car will look.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
I almost pulled the 5.7 badge on the trunk lid off with one of the strands on the Cali brush. I had to push it back into place, but im still not happy with the way it looks now. Im going to have the dealer look at it this week.

ROK :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
struttrsgto said:
i have had mine for a week now and i noticed the same thing..pontiac will warranty it.not to worry....

Have you been back to the dealership regarding it yet?

·
Registered
86 Posts
EYES said:
I'm thinking it was probably caused by the sprayer at the car wash but I'd think that the paint should be stronger than that.
Did you know that they use high pressure water to cut through metal and other materials?

About 10 years ago I had a car that had a small indention in a body panel with a paint chip in the middle of the dent. I didn't really ever notice the indention prior to an experience with the high pressure water from a DIY car wash. When the water hit the paint chip, boom, about a baseball sized area blew off the car, leaving just the factory primer exposed.

High pressure is great for underbody, or cleaning dirty trucks or mucks of dirt, or cleaning bugs from a windshield or headlights, otherwise I stay away from them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts