LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since day one, I've had problems with this cars' paint. Namely scratches. You look at this car crosseyed and it scratches! I had another one that I had to get the mark remover and polisher out to fix another scratch.

I also noticed that the kick panels behind my front driver wheel has got a bunch of nicks in them that weren't there the other day.

On top of the hood, towards the cowl, you can see some overspray too.

Is the paint on this car really that thin? I know GM likes to cut corners, but I've never had this much problem in the 5/6 years and 18,000 miles I've owned my Camaro! Yet, in the first 6 months of having this car, it's been a weekly repair.

What gives?

·
Registered
835 Posts
My original hood had a crappy paint job also, I even went to work and measured the paint thickness 'cause it was chipping so easily. They have the right amount of paint on there but I think they didn't cure it correctly because it is way too soft. I haven't had any problems with my new hood.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No issues with my paint, meaning its the same as my Silverado and Trailblazer. So far no chips or scratches. If you want soft paint, talk to a 350Z owner. The front of these cars chips when a bug hits it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, I knew something was up. It just seems "softer".

I dunno about the 350Z's. It seems as though I'm sharing the same misery as they are. :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Does anyone spray laquer anymore? Holy EPA, Batman.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have to agree. I have chips all over the front and they use a WHITE primer under BLACK paint. Why did I read this thread cause now I'm :mad: again.

I even scratched the paint when I used the back of a spunge to remove the bug. I'm talking about the plastic part. You can scratch the painf with soft plastic! WTF!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's how a few of my scratches occured too! Even one big one on the top of the fender as it curves into the hood was caused by my brand new clay bar! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Go to 3M and get yourself a Roll of their clear protective tape. I'm sure you've heard of it. It comes in various widths and lenghts. Put a layer on the lips of the fenders to prevent the stone chips, and also on the areas on the Nose that are a concern. It really works well. I coated the front of my New Snowmobile and that gets beaten to death by huge chunks of ICE from riding way to close to my buddies. Our sleds throw huge chunks of ice because of the excessive use of studs and deep lug tracks, and I have no chips in the decals or paint. BUT that film is trashed, so it really did its job wonderfully! :thumbs:

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
I've also noticed that the paint seems to chip easily. It has quite a few paint chips on the front bumper and some on the hood itself.

My wifes's 98 GP with 60000 miles on it, has no chips on the hood and way less on the front bumper cover. The paint seems to not have enough hardener in the clearcoat.

I'm debating whether or not to take it to the dealer and have them repaint the car, or at least the hood and front bumper cover.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
if enough people start complaining, is there a chance of a recall or STB for a free paint job? somehow i doubt it

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
I have one pin hole chip from a rock. Other than that my back bumper was painted before I picked up the car. I have had marks that look like overspray or dry paint over the clear. I've buffed most of it out. There is one mark still that I know of but cant see. I cant wait till I move into a townhouse and set up my "house of wax" garage with fluorescent lighting all over the place :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really don't want to put that 3M stuff on the car though. I had it on another vehicle and while it protected the paint, it was notciable on there as well.

And I don't know if I'd have the car repainted even if GM were to issue a TSB. Sometimes fixing it looks worse (or less natural) than the actual scratch, nick, or overspray.

I dunno, I'm just frustrated that it scratches and nicks so easy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I took Zymol and mixed it with a paint sealant, so the bugdeath and birdcrap wouldn't give me hell. So far so good but I just did it so the jury's still out. While doing so I found one paint imperfection on the hood, a little blob under the clear that's visible in sunlight, so I'll be contacting the dealer. I just got done washing it again and just noticed the headlight bezels are both cracked at the adjustments, on both sides, like they overtightened them. Dealer or factory I dunno. You guys might want to check yours. Otherwise life is good.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Good observation, Britus.
We certainly can't have the car in less than perfect shape. Otherwise, Catwoman might not give it up. :D

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
My paint is flawless. I hope the early production guys didn't get shafted with substandard work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Man you should have seen it, Batgirl with the clap and Catwoman with hot flashes. That was a bad week in the ol' Batcave, let me tell you. Too much of that and the Penguin starts looking good! :drink:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Maybe Zaino is the key? I zaino'd mine and bugs come right off with a little water. Maybe the Zaino helps protect the paint from chipping and scratching.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found a paint problem too the other day when I finally waxed the car. On the driver's side door, at the bottom, there is a paint drip under the clear coat. It is very hard to notice unless you go right up to it and look at an angle. I just don't know if I want someone to repaint the door. I'm worried it will get messed up even more not to mention the posibilities of orange peel, bad tape jobs, dust in paint, etc.. No chips/scratches yet (knock on wood), but it's only 2.5 weeks old.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Little imperfections

I have a little orange peel that just started before the paint set here and there, and a few spots....all in all better than most I've seen. I'm not unhappy. The problems others are experiencing makes me suspect the clear coats are really thin. Mine does not seem to be, and yeah, where I have a tiny stone chip here and there on the nose...white primer. Makes me wish I'd done the 3M protection day 1. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts